300 m ISSF Getting there

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

300 m ISSF Getting there

Post by shutzen » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:00 pm

how about revealing your true identity and sharing your experience with the rest of the members.I am sure others would find it inspirational.There are a lot of people here who are interested in taking up this sport but find it difficult to get information on how to start and what to expect once they take it up.

penpusher

HI! folx as per penpushers request in another thread in this forum : 1. For now I am happy to carry on with my "assumed ID"

2. Okay I have no problem in helping out ppl who want to start off in the rifle shooting field:

ISSF 300 M Prone free rifle: getting to MQS 475 to become a renowned shot

475 translates into shooting 58 shots x8 ring and 2 shots x7 ring for lowest possible performance to attain mqs at 300M .
the 8 ring is 300 mm ( 11.8 inches)
the 7 ring is 400 mm ( 15.7 inches)

Now anybody who is thinking abt starting big bore has to keep this in mind. Now that u have food for thought I will also let u know that each year the ordanance factory team lands up with the .315 rifle and they shoot some good scores in the open sight matches in the gvm competitions. If u have anyone living in calcutta he can meet someone in Ishapore rifle factory and talk to the dudes abt how they do it or if anyone can lay his hand on a good rifle with a heavy barrel and is willing to put peep sights on it then we can see where we go frm there.......

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:13 pm

Hi Shutzen,

It's always a pleasure to see someone from the competitive circuit participating here, am sure your inputs would prove to be quite valuable for many aspiring shooters. :)

Your mention of the IOF team being able to shoot good scores with the .315 rifle is quite intriguing - especially keeping in mind the rather low opinion most seem to have for all IOF products! I'd be very interested to know if these are stock IOF .315 rifles or if these are heavily modified pieces? Also, what ammunition do they use?

AFAIK .315 ammo is not produced outside of India, so I am assuming that it would not be imported ammo... am I correct in understanding that they are shooting IOF made ammo as well?

Look forward to your reply...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:31 pm

mundaire";p="21383 wrote:Hi Shutzen,

Your mention of the IOF team being able to shoot good scores with the .315 rifle is quite intriguing - especially keeping in mind the rather low opinion most seem to have for all IOF products! I'd be very interested to know if these are stock IOF .315 rifles or if these are heavily modified pieces? Also, what ammunition do they use?

Abhijeet
HI! well there were some rumors going on that the dudes had a imported barrel on the rifle but when I asked the team manager he denied it flatly and they use Indian ammo - the manager claimed that they r working on producing some match grade ammo too. BTW they also get a steyr clone iof mfg .30'06 with a decently heavy barrel since last two years for testing aong with iof ammo ... if anyone has the NRAI score book for the last two years chk out the performance of the iof teams in the gvm and post the scores ;) last I heard they had applied to MOH for permission to sell this rifle to shooters maybe someone can chk on this
Last edited by shutzen on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

penpusher

Re: 300 m ISSF Getting there

Post by penpusher » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:32 pm

Also, what ammunition do they use?
Somebody mentioned that they use a lighter bullet 150 grains or around.

penpusher

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:39 pm

Hmm... if the IOF team can do it... then it may be feasible for a civvie to at least get a qualifying score with an "accurised" .315, shooting reloaded .315 ammo (to ensure consistent powder charge and bullet weights)... surely an interesting thought....

There is of course the small matter of finding a 300m range in one's vicinity to practice...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:40 pm

penpusher";p="21387 wrote:

penpusher
HI! penpusher was to busy to chk but if someone can contact ISHAPORE rifle factory in Kolkata he wud b able to find out. Even if u had to use 150 gr pointed bt bullets for the comp I think just getting them machined out of solid copper on a CNC lathe would do the trick and with a bullet puller and a 8mm collet for a reaseating press one can b in business : BTW the ballastic co-efficient of a 150-160 gr pointed bullet in 8mm would also be good enough to do the job

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:58 pm

shutzen";p="21389 wrote:
penpusher";p="21387 wrote:

penpusher
HI! penpusher was to busy to chk but if someone can contact ISHAPORE rifle factory in Kolkata he wud b able to find out. Even if u had to use 150 gr pointed bt bullets for the comp I think just getting them machined out of solid copper on a CNC lathe would do the trick and with a bullet puller and a 8mm collet for a reaseating press one can b in business : BTW the ballastic co-efficient of a 150-160 gr pointed bullet in 8mm would also be good enough to do the job
Would also require setting back the barrel and rechambering.Then there is also the question of the rifling twist for the lighter bullet.

penpusher

shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:56 pm

Would also require setting back the barrel and rechambering.Then there is also the question of the rifling twist for the lighter bullet.

penpusher[/quote]

Well penpusher I think I read something on a lee enfield forum abt those ppl using lighter bullets without any problems . I guess we havto chk with the OFB Ishapore and clear this up . as far as rechambering and setback is concerned most likley we can do without it depending on the profile of the copper bullet if you look at the 315 round nose it starts tapering off about 1/4 of its lenght so should not be a problem. Anyways since copper is lighter than lead even with a near full length pointed bullet u should have the weight under limits. BTW I have personally seen and fired a single shot hex barrel break top .315 target rifle belonging to the Calcutta gun club now owned by a dude in HP !
neways since the .315 is the cheapest rifle to get , needs some trigger smoothning job, its receiver is soft untreated metal which can be easily drilled and tapped to fix the sights and it can easily be sold after doing its job - hell ppl will beg u to sell it to them with the sights;) we just need a dude to get down to it

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:43 pm

How does someone without a rifle participate? I once shot at with the homeguards team at the Dhauj rifle range with a .303. So it seems there's no way one can have a.303 and the other option would be to buy a .315 that is later tricked out as you recommend. But getting a license and will take time. Therefore does the SAI loan rifles for use at the the relevant competition? Lotsa a stupid questions but I have no clue. They did say that they are creating a 300m range at Tuglakabad.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:21 pm

HI! Dev then u need to do a jugad with the police or army guys and use their rifle and ammo. See if ur state police team goes for the comp and hook up with them - thats the easiest way normally otehrwise if u feel like some ppl rent their rifles with ammo and u cud go that way. however 475 is not a huge score and with some dry practice and maybe at least 2-3 paractice sessions u shud b able to make it. - All this assuming u have a shooting jacket , sling and glove ;)

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:07 pm

you know I kept taking your name as stutzen (thinking of that kind of stock), now I read how clever it was. Shoot zen (pronounced), i don't have any equipment at the moment as I was sniffing the breeze, have a mild recollection that shooting the 303 was quite enjoyable. But doing 60 rounds might need replacing shoulder bones and all not to mention having to shoot more for practice. But thanks for the information and I will check up what jugad can happen out here. Where are those army connections when you need em? ;-).

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:57 pm

dev";p="21487 wrote:you know I kept taking your name as stutzen (thinking of that kind of stock), now I read how clever it was. Shoot zen (pronounced),
Dev
HI! Dev ;) glad that u cought onto the namegame - sadly I had a run-in with a dude here who kept insisting that since I cant spell it straight so i should not b using it or genrally talk abt things which he did not like ...aah Well the joy of shooting is when in a competition u r in the first 8'O clock detail and breathing in the cool fresh air - then comes the command "Fire" and all around u ppl start shooting and the whiff of gunsmoke tingles your nostrils and makes u feel alive. After a few shots the smell of gunpowder overpowers your senses and you no longer njoy it or feel it as when it started :)

But doing 60 rounds might need replacing shoulder bones and all not to mention having to shoot more for practice. But thanks for the information and I will check up what jugad can happen out here. Where are those army connections when you need em? ;-).

Well if u hold the rifle properly against your shoulder then u dont have anything to worry abt, in big bore shooting the real pain one feels is where your hand presses against the handstop - that hurts with every round but what the hell you enjoy yourself shooting and the pains and aches hit after the comp and are well worth it for the experience!

regards

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:35 am

Yes, identity does. Evidence does even more. Some pictures? Published and verifiable results?

shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:29 am

BTW in India being a renowned shot does not necessarily mean being famous or getting ur pic in the paper IT denotes your acheivement in shooting - dont go for a literal translation - on the other side I have been lucky enough and I have a thick file of press cuttings and abt 8-9 of my press coverage articles r still on the web. when the time comes and if I feel like I can put those up too. however right now I feel like I can do more good by using my alias for now.
I am a renowned shot and nothing will change that and with the new rules in place I will again be a renowned shot in 2 disciples in the December nationals
I dont need to proove anything

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:13 pm

Shutzen,

You keep your identity a secret but your achievements you like to shout to the world.Very curious.Mehul asked you about your name and you chose to keep mum about what you now claim is the real meaning (Shoot zen).Even more curious.
HEY! look whos talking again! whats the matter mehul scared that suddenly there is someone on the forum who knows something about weapons and u cant puff and pant fibs like before ?
So you mean to say that before you turned up here,there was nobody who had any knowledge about firearms.Thus Mehul was free to dish out what ever he thought was information on firearms.We are indeed lucky that you have decided to grace us with your presence and are all breathlessly waiting for enlightenment on all things that go bang.Please continue.BTW a firearm is not necessarily a weapon.

penpusher