300 m ISSF Getting there

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: 300 m ISSF Getting there

Post by shutzen » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:14 pm

So you mean to say that before you turned up here,there was nobody who had any knowledge about firearms.Thus Mehul was free to dish out what ever he thought was information on firearms.We are indeed lucky that you have decided to grace us with your presence and are all breathlessly waiting for enlightenment on all things that go bang.Please continue.BTW a firearm is not necessarily a weapon.

penpusher[/quote]

HI! penpusher if u look at majority of the posts here all the moderators are posting around as if they are the ultimate authority and all others are waiting in line to have knowledge dished out to them. I guess u simply cant take it that I do know something about firearms /weapons / whatever u prefer to call them... an d whatever Mehul dishes out is the gospel and what I say is un-substiantated wake up ppl

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: 300 m ISSF Getting there

Post by penpusher » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:34 pm

Shutzen,

Even I know something but not everything.Perhaps that 'something' is something that you do not know and perhaps the 'something' that you know is something that I do not know.You and I will never know unless you take that chip off your shoulder.

penpusher

shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:02 pm

HI! ppl. I think some ppl de-tracked me from the purpose of this thread which is to get a newbie started off to participate in the 300 m ISSF match.
I got enough PM's from members who wanted more info So here I will put down some steps based on my personal exp. to get you there.

For my two big bore nationals I did not have a suitable big bore rifle so here is what I did and managed to succeed and this same formula has worked with four other ppl.

1. I dont think most states have had their annual state competitions which should be held max a month before the AIGVM. Go to your closest rifle club/assn. and enroll as a annual member. Ask them if they have a peep sight .22 club rifle . club rifles are panchayati rifles and u can get to use them maybe with or without charge. In case the club does not have a peep sight rifle they will most certainly have open sight brno .22 rifles. These rifles r pretty good and the trigger action is also good. just simply start doing dry practice with these and interact with the club members and pick up a few tips. (else just ask specific ques here and I will try and help)
2. If enough ppl show interest in wanting to shoot a peep sight rifle talk to ur state assn. incharge and "offer" to lend them a front and rear peepsight to install on the club rifle so the shooters can shoot issf matches . If accepted I can put u across to a dude who can do the need full abt installing the sights. -
ALT. BETTER OPTION : take your own brno or even a iof 22 and put peep sights onto that and start with that. the IOF 22 can shoot pretty ok and the stiff trigger will smothen out after some time

The technique used for the 300m is the same as the 50m so if you are shooting good groups at 50m you will shoot maybe 10-15% less with the 300m. Master the sight alignment and trigger press and the breathing .......take some help.

Now comes the part where I told u to take part in the state: here you will experience some match pressure when u shoot for the qs to participate in the AIGVM. The state assn. will give you a paltry amount of some imported practice /match grade ammo on payment for your practice and state comp.

assuming you make the qs then better send ur name for the AIGVM comp. and keep up with your dry and live practice. In India due to non-avail of ammo the essense is on dry practice and u shud b doing min. 1hr and 30mins. this can b done by following proper shot procedure : load a fired shell , aim at target and when u think u have a perfect hold -fire and repeat at least 30 times each session with full concentration.

3. Make sure u go for the AIGVM comp. if u had made the grade bcoz here u will see how a big match with about 40-60 shooters firing in one detail is conducted. This comp. usually continues for at least 3 days and with 3-4 details each day . Here you will experince true match pressure and will know how u perform under real pressure. Your aim shud b to shoot the mqs to qualify for the small bore nationals.

4. if u qualified then the state assn will give u some more ammo to practice for the nationals. otherwise from what ever score u shot u will have a fair idea of your match shooting capability and how much effort u need to put in further.

5. all who qualified shud take part in the nationals and ur aim shud b to acheive the mqs - that way u will again xperience match atmosphere - this is important fo it is preparing u for the final exam the 300 m match and if u qualify mqs then u r a renowned shot who can import a sb rifle and 15K carts. -shud be bait enough-

6. since the big bore nationals r not posted in the NRAI calender yet I can take a guess that they will b held in jan 2008. Keep practicing with the .22 only now reduce ur target size and if possible inrease the range out to 100m. this will give u good practice.
7. I u r consistently shooting well then I suggest doing ur first bb national with a borrowed/rented match rifle - anyways the other options for weapons we can look at later this is a broad outline of the way I followed and I hope it helps those who want to learn :)
Last edited by shutzen on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:18 pm

Good to see the thread back on track :)

Excellent post Shutzen, very practical and useful advice on how to work within the existing system - am sure it will prove useful for several aspiring shooters here!

:)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:48 pm

Shutzen,
Some questions for you
What are the rented rifles -caliber / manufacture/model?
what are the rent charges ?
Who are the parties offering rifles on rent for the 300m ISSF
Would appreciate info
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:07 pm

eljefe";p="21643 wrote:Shutzen,
Some questions for you
Axx
HI! the person is from Mumbai and I will let u know his name in a PM if u want. He has 2 rifles a sig and a Kricko both in .308 cal. he charges as per the demand and bookings for his guns but xpect anything around 15-18 K for one match along with a half match practice session . I think its a OK deal when u condider the ammo cost for about 100 rounds and he says that he has to look at the barrel wear too. AFAIK mebbe in a year -or two when the number of ppl who have imported reifles increase the price cud go down.

BTW the Himachal assn has some club peep sight .22's and if any of u ppl r frm Chattisgarh then u r in real luck as the Assn. there has at least 3 Alpine match rifles in .308 cal.

If any of u guyz r planning on a wildcard entry -then b sure to read my post in the "wildcard for big bore national" updated with the latest info today the NRAI has no set criteria apparently for the wildcards so u may luck out ;)
hope this helps...