I want to start pistol shootin

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
amarinder
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

I want to start pistol shootin

Post by amarinder » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:30 am

I want to start pistol shooting with the only one aim .i.e it to compete at highest level.And I have heard that to compete internationally, one needs really low pulse rate like 40 beats per minute but mine is 60.

I am hesitant that no matter how much hard work I do, I wont be able to be the best best because of higher pulse rate which leads to extra body movement.... :(

Tell me what to do...
Last edited by amarinder on Fri May 31, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There is no such thing as difficult, Only the man himself is weak"- Amarinder

For Advertising mail webmaster
doctor
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: I want to start pistol shooting...but

Post by doctor » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:17 pm

the normal pulse is approx 72/min, consider yourself lucky, try yoga and meditate with open eyes , it will help.

gverma
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by gverma » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:02 pm

Pulse rate is least of your problems.
Try out shooting.... Eventually you will learn to shoot between heartbeat's

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:07 am

gverma wrote:Pulse rate is least of your problems.
Try out shooting.... Eventually you will learn to shoot between heartbeat's
Really? How?
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

gverma
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by gverma » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:36 pm

Here is a more detailed explanation.

The individual in question wants to learn how to shoot and looks like the person wants to learn ISSF shooting.

Now when the individual will start learning the sport they will start with just shooting then grouping and eventually timing the shot (which means shooting each shot in same interval of time). They will learn exercises like holding, breathing and breath control and may be they will use tools like SCATT.

Over a period of time relaxation and Yoga will come in to control breathing.

Finally when ready you will be able to shoot 10's after a 1 Km hike when your heartbeat is erratic.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:39 pm

From what I have read shooting between heart beats applies more to rifle shooting. If I remember correctly one can't do it while pistol shooting. Please feel free to let me know if I am wrong and explain if it can be done.

Apologies for going OT.

amarinder
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by amarinder » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:01 pm

gverma wrote:Here is a more detailed explanation.

The individual in question wants to learn how to shoot and looks like the person wants to learn ISSF shooting.

Now when the individual will start learning the sport they will start with just shooting then grouping and eventually timing the shot (which means shooting each shot in same interval of time). They will learn exercises like holding, breathing and breath control and may be they will use tools like SCATT.

Finally when ready you will be able to shoot 10's after a 1 Km hike when your heartbeat is erratic.

Yes, you are right..I want to learn ISSF shooting..

But Is somebody aware that what is the pulse rate of olympic shooter (at rest)..Ofcourse you can lower your heart beat through meditation but the difference cannot be too much like lowering from 60 beats per minute to 40 beats....

Just Remove my doubt that I really need to have heart beat around 40 to compete at the level of olympics final...

bodhijobs
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by bodhijobs » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:05 pm

amarinder wrote:
gverma wrote:Here is a more detailed explanation.

Yes, you are right..I want to learn ISSF shooting..

But Is somebody aware that what is the pulse rate of olympic shooter (at rest)..Ofcourse you can lower your heart beat through meditation but the difference cannot be too much like lowering from 60 beats per minute to 40 beats....

Just Remove my doubt that I really need to have heart beat around 40 to compete at the level of olympics final...
Pulse rate around 40 for competing at the level of Olympics???? :shock:

There is a detailed topic on pistol shooting in IFG only, I haven't read any of the gurus saying this...

Regards
BD
Shoot Safe and Shoot Smart...

nupadhya
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by nupadhya » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:47 pm

I don’t think heart/pulse rate is what you should be focused on at this stage, or for that matter the Olympics Finals. If you want to learn shooting, get to it, hold the weapon, feel it and become one with it - then it shoots straight. You will know when to shoot - your body will tell you when to pull the trigger. When you do become good, and can control breathing, by then, your heart rate would also have gone down. With larger lung capacity, ability to concentrate all the rest falls in place...even the heart rate. Believe me. Just shoot, build the muscles, tone the body to be able to shoot the 60+10 shots. Even the yoga (as some one mentions - righly) will come automatically - you will know when.

amarinder
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by amarinder » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:15 am

nupadhya wrote:I don’t think heart/pulse rate is what you should be focused on at this stage, or for that matter the Olympics Finals. If you want to learn shooting, get to it, hold the weapon, feel it and become one with it - then it shoots straight. You will know when to shoot - your body will tell you when to pull the trigger. When you do become good, and can control breathing, by then, your heart rate would also have gone down. With larger lung capacity, ability to concentrate all the rest falls in place...even the heart rate. Believe me. Just shoot, build the muscles, tone the body to be able to shoot the 60+10 shots. Even the yoga (as some one mentions - righly) will come automatically - you will know when.

Thanks for replying...

The reason I am asking about the pulse rate is that many former Army Personal ,especially in US,enter into this sport after they retire. And these guys have gone through intense physical training and thus, they have low pulse..

I was just wondering that if, I am gonna beat these marines, then I need to be good at every small point and pulse rate is one of them. I am not gonna start shooting for my entertainment. I have had enough of silly entertainment for 23 years. Shooting is going to be serious stuff and it is going to take me to podium in Olympics..

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:58 am

So let's start at least at the national levels. Once you score 570, the country will take care of you and your pulse rate or heartbeat or whatever you are concerned with.

sagar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sagar » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Hi Amarinder,
If you Enter shooting sport with 'IFs and BUTs' then how do you proceed ?
Stop Doubting yourself and form your opinions based on your Results.
Its good to think about Olympics but It is high up on the Ladder, place your step on the First step and then move ahead.
All the Best for your Shooting.

gverma
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by gverma » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Buddy pick a pistol or rifle and start shooting everything else will fall into place.

Start running, Yoga (Pranayams and Surya Namaskar)
Start meditation

If you need details PM me.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:57 pm

The more you do aerobic exercises, the lower your resting heert rate becomes.
Its as simple as that.
The stronger and more conditioned the muscles of your heart, higher amount of blood is pumped out with each heart beat.
So start exercising and your heart rate will come down over time itself.
To Excellence through Diligence.

amarinder
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by amarinder » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:47 pm

:cheers: Thanks to All for replying. I think I got the answer I wanted....