The MQS system; a disturbing element

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.

The MQS System; Is it a disturbing element for you?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 19

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Re: The MQS system; a disturbing element

Post by fantumfan2003 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:23 pm

:agree:

Very Well Said..................

M.
sagar wrote:Hello,
If the MQS be applied in Cricket, How would it be ???
If sachin (for example) could not score a MQS he will not be allowed to participate in any National/International Matches, so He has to keep Practicing for the MQS :roll: Will that prove that he is a poor Batsman ?
So much in the Name of PROMOTING Shooting Sports . . . :shock:
Thanks
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

For Advertising mail webmaster
tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:19 pm

Dear Sagar,
I am going abit off topic... :)
Cricket being an overhyped sport the cricketers have a star status because of money spinning around. Hence there are lots of excuses for them.
I remember having read 'Gagan Narang fails again' as a headline in TOI a few years back because he did not win a medal inspite of being in the final eight in an international match. Do you think he deserved the remark? When have you read 'Tendulkar fails again' after he has scored a 50+ in a match? Now, I dared to compare a mere half century in cricket with the qualification of the 8 finalists in an International shooting match.
How many Indians knew that Mampi Das, a young shooter from WB, was ranked 9th in the World Championships in Munich in 2012, in Women's AR? How many Indians knew that she equalled the world record 400/400 in the selection match in india this year?
To promote shooting sport, the concerned authorities should engage in lobbying and influencing the media.

best regards
tirpassion

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:39 pm

The concerned authorities won't, but we can and I did on FB and in my office dept. I have shown a 10mtr air rifle card and how small it looks like at 10mtr in my office. Even the nay sayers and cricketing fans appreciated the level of difficulty and her achievement.

Lobbying and influencing media will require lots of money and that means there will have to be big money in our sport. That ain't gonna happen.........for a long time..........

Man have I gone off topic.................

M.
tirpassion wrote:
How many Indians knew that Mampi Das, a young shooter from WB, was ranked 9th in the World Championships in Munich in 2012, in Women's AR? How many Indians knew that she equalled the world record 400/400 in the selection match in india this year?
To promote shooting sport, the concerned authorities should engage in lobbying and influencing the media.

best regards
tirpassion
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

sagar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sagar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:36 pm

Hello tirpassion,
I do Agree with your Views
:agree:

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:36 pm

Sorry - saw this one late. MQS was in place till moneybags spoiled the game of cricket. It was called Ranji/ Duleep/ Irani. All the greats like Gavaskar, Kapil Dev, Mohinder have gone through it... Those days team manager and doctor used to declare fitness of players, unlike these days when stars like SRT declare their own fitness. Of course, often Vengsarkar declared himself "unfit" after dinner of trouts ('bangda') ! ;-)

Back to MQS for shooting - often at tournaments - state & national - you find scores of many guys who are far below the MQS (some as much as 50+) which makes one suspect if they really ever hit the MQS. More tournaments and outings must be encouraged at all levels to encourage the sheer joy of shooting. But as FF pointed out OS has been eliminated from AR shooting (for adults). When it comes to imported PCP ARs not every shooter can afford it. So we often find shooters who shine at school/ college levels often drop out eventually when the access to commonly shared costly weapons stop or sponsorship ends. Thus MQS does not 'promote' the sport in the long run anyway.

MQS is thus mostly used as a filter to keep riff-raff out and also to reduce the congestion at bottle-neck. Also it reduces the number of players and thus number of days a competition is conducted and thus the number of days the concerned officials have to spend/ volunteer. My 2 cents worth thoughts.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:31 pm

There is every reason to believe that at least some of these participants did not shoot the MQS to get qualified for GVM and still played in GVM.
Here are the results of 10mtr pepe sight air rifle as an example.

http://thenrai.in/images/documents/a031.pdf

I wonder how a person shooting 306 in GVM, shot the MQS of 360 in his state AWC, to qualify to play in GVM.

And what is this this category ".177 PEEP SIGHT AIR RIFLE (NR) CHAMPIONSHIP 10M FOR MQS" in GVM. Which MQS is being pursued here ? To move on to what ? Nationals ?

http://thenrai.in/images/documents/a042%20mqs.pdf

Call me cynical, but before you do, explain to me in a lucid manner as to how one progresses up the ladder ? Don't give me what you feel, tell me what it actually is.

Case in point, I was told I cannot play in the state shooting championship if I have not hit the MQS. But I know of instances where people have played in the said match without hitting the MQS in the respective category ?

Lies ? Deliberate, Confusing or zero information dissemination ? Both I think......

M.
airgun_novice wrote: Back to MQS for shooting - often at tournaments - state & national - you find scores of many guys who are far below the MQS (some as much as 50+) which makes one suspect if they really ever hit the MQS...................

........................MQS is thus mostly used as a filter to keep riff-raff out and also to reduce the congestion at bottle-neck. Also it reduces the number of players and thus number of days a competition is conducted and thus the number of days the concerned officials have to spend/ volunteer. My 2 cents worth thoughts.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:53 pm

Further to what FF has written - once having declared the MQS there is something termed as "wild card" with the powers that be. That in fact negates, in fact VIOLATES, the concept of MQS. :-) BTW one of the fellow IFG shooters noticed some dudes that did not know how to insert the pellet or open the tin in such big ticket events where Madame Diva del la MQS screeches shrill. Definitely disturbing... :deadhorse: