Two VERY GOOD documents on target rifle shooting....

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Two VERY GOOD documents on target rifle shooting....

Post by fantumfan2003 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:17 pm

I stumbled upon these two.....

They even answer some of the basic/stupid/I am wondering type of questions to which I could not get answers to on my own or from those in the know........

Hope they help some of us who are into 10mtr air rife shooting. The links are from a biathlon site but the principles are the same......

http://www.biathlonontario.ca/Coach_Res ... itions.pdf

http://www.biathlonontario.ca/Coach_Res ... nship2.pdf

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

For Advertising mail webmaster
airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Two VERY GOOD documents on target rifle shooting....

Post by airgun_novice » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:08 pm

Good docs. Most of the stuff can be incorporated in AP target shooting training and fun AR shooting as well. Thank you. :-)
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)

AK49
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by AK49 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:37 pm

Thank you very much for such wonderful docus, and the research, they have completely changed the results for me. How!!, I will explain. I have been right-hand dominant all my life, and that is how I have been shooting until I read very recently these docus. I was surprised to find out that I have dominant left eye. I immediately changed my style for shooting now I use left hand for this. I was surprised to see that I am shooting tighter groupings with the left eye. I do want to know what the experts have to say about this.

There is compound wall about 25 meters away from my bedroom window which I use for target practice. Whenever I feel like practicing I fire the first pellet and then using it as a reference to get tighter groups. With this new discovery I have been shooting tighter and tighter groupings.

thanks once again for these docus.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.
Regards,
AK49

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Dear AK49, Good to see that you discovered your LED. Try target shooting close at 10m to get more accurate results with a .177. In case you are using .22 it would work relatively. Plus at 25m remember your target is further still. So it would be problematic for your gun to be zeroed more accurately. Let me explain - at 25 m (vis-a-vis 10m or 33 ft) gravity has already exerted its pull and hence the pellet is in trajectory over 2.5 times the distance it was meant to hit and is going to 'dip' somewhat. Plus .22 pellet is gonna be heavier. So for the same (or similar) power bank your accuracy is bound to be off. But stick with it if you do not have any other option so that you get balance, sight alignment and trigger pull experience firmly fixed. Do *NOT* try to compensate for shorter distance and lower cal. Stay "AS IS". It's like swimming in the sea. Once you switch to the pool it might feel different at first but then you still come back strongly. Ideally, 10m + .177 cal for target shooting. If possible get peep sights installed if you are keen on competing in future as open sight options are getting terribly reduced. Of course, for the joy of air gun target shooting nothing beats the springer with open sights. :-) Just my 2 cents worth.

BTW, classes at Savarkar Smarak range are expected to start in 2nd or 3rd week of Jan. Will keep you posted. Good Luck.
==
(Death Wish V)

AK49
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by AK49 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Good to hear from you AGN. AGN does not sound appropriate anymore this N should be replaced with an appropriate letter. If you do not find it yourself we might have to find it for you. Thanks for the advice. I am going to try at 10 meters. And I would like to get my hands on a .177. I am awaiting for the arrival of the new gun. Would like to know how far the doctor has reached. If any news please pm me.
Regards,
AK49

AK49
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by AK49 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi AGN (actually it should be AGA):

Thank you for your valuable advice. I have already started practicing on 10 m distance, on the other side there is another wall, using the same method for the time being (I am in the process of preparing some thing for target, found an old steel chair and thermocol out of which I will prepare a target) and I am pleased with the results. very nice grouping i am getting with my .22. With the discovery of LED everything seems to have fallen in place, like I get better grip, stance and very steady shot with good trigger pull.

I would love to join the course at Veer Savarker if they conduct it on weekends. So, please see if they can manage weekend course.
Regards,
AK49

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:59 pm

Dear Ak49 - Weekend course at Savarkar might not happen as the Instructor is usually off to Balewadi or elsewhere either helping others or practicing his own. There are usually two sessions AM & PM both from 7-9 over 5 day work week. Will let you know when the next batch begins.
==
(Death Wish V)