big bore rifles faqs for a beginner.

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:32 pm

this is not a medical forum but just want to clarify that there is no definite known cause for IBS as hamiclar stated.
the stress link is not the first option to be explored even in the IBS. (dietary causes.)
the most classic presentation is pain diarrhoea and constipation.
the symptoms have to be present for 12 WEEKS.

the psychosomatic diarrhoes mentioned here is a different entity. it is very short term, more common than IBS- (average 15 % population may have some degree of IBS.)-
which can happen in anyone (a person diagnosed with IBS is more prone to have stress induced diarrhoea than a normal person.)

this performance diarrhoea is a somatisation similar to 'butterflies in the tummy', 'throwing up' and may be classified an immature defence mechanism.
if it is performance induced, it will also have other features like palpitations, tachycardia,(heart racing.), sweaty palms etc.
thanks for reading
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

For Advertising mail webmaster
shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:04 pm

dear shutzen, you described quite clearly and accurarely about my feelings the first time i competed.(sans diarrhoea.)

the fact thet one doesnt need to/ shouldnt grip the rifle tightly again stresses the need for a good/high muscle tone (basic muscle tension at rest.)

are there various subcategories in the bigbore category?
i mean divided into calibres? for instance 5mm, 7mm, 8mm etc? or is it open bigbore competitions?

can .223 compete in .22 competitions? are there any restrictions on the gun dimensions(wt, barell lenght, magzine capacity, stock length?).
i can understand the practical limitations about dimensions but are there rules specifying them?
(for instance there are some max. dimensions permissible for cricket bat.- one cant have a 2 foot wide bat.)
i understand that for any rifle, consistancy is the key and it may vary from piece to piece even in the same model.
short of shooting it, are there any rough tests on inspection that can tell us about its quality.(other than the brand name.)

how imp. is good eyesight?
i read somewhere that good shots have very keeneyesights. i ask this because my eyesight is far from keen/phenomenal.

is there a body type more suitable for rifle shooting than others? (eg. tall basketball players, short gymnasts, big waist weightlifters, narrow waist bodybuilders.)

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:49 pm

shooter";p="22545 wrote:can .223 compete in .22 competitions?
Small bore 50m rifle events are restricted to .22 cal rimfire rifles...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:46 pm

shooter"dear shutzen, you described quite clearly and accurarely about my feelings the first time i competed.(sans diarrhoea.)
HI! shooter - the PID only happens to some , mostly it is galloping heartbeat which moves your rifle all over and u end up "hitting anything but the ten " sweating and all is normal just use a headband and keep a towel handy to wipe ur right hand with.

the fact thet one doesnt need to/ shouldnt grip the rifle tightly again stresses the need for a good/high muscle tone (basic muscle tension at rest.)
well u dont need heavy duty muscles - the muscles u need develop /tone themselves as u do the dry practice and holding exercises. If u grip the rifle tightly the muscle tension will cause ur body to go rigid and as u start shooting and reloading ur body will slowly start relaxing or vice versa and u will get the shock of ur life when ur zero shifts because of this and u start shooting off ur zero.
are there various subcategories in the bigbore category?
i mean divided into calibres? for instance 5mm, 7mm, 8mm etc? or is it open bigbore competitions?
Its just one open comp. till 8mm. Using a smaller caliber might cause u to lose a few points if u r just kissing the line wit ur shot -however the gauge if it is used for scoring is 8mm.
can .223 compete in .22 competitions? are there any restrictions on the gun dimensions(wt, barell lenght, magzine capacity, stock length?).
i can understand the practical limitations about dimensions but are there rules specifying them?
(for instance there are some max. dimensions permissible for cricket bat.- one cant have a 2 foot wide bat.)
well just goto the issf website and download their rulebook . It has all the info in the rifle section. Free rifle category givies u a wide leeway to do what u want. standard rifle rules and trigger weights are regulated. only .22 rimfire can compete in the smallbore matches. no center fire allowed
i understand that for any rifle, consistancy is the key and it may vary from piece to piece even in the same model.
short of shooting it, are there any rough tests on inspection that can tell us about its quality.(other than the brand name.)
Yeah - the ultimate one shoot it! chk the groups besides chk the condition of the barrel grooves, throat , crown,trigger pull and consistency of break, bedding and sights ;)
how imp. is good eyesight?
i read somewhere that good shots have very keeneyesights. i ask this because my eyesight is far from keen/phenomenal.
keen eyesight is good but look at the number of shooters using spects - so as long as ur glasses are okay no problems. Btw join a gym with some good curvy babes - all the oblique glances u will steal will give ur eyes a good workout ;) focus problems far and near will be resolved with great effort and clarity :lol:
is there a body type more suitable for rifle shooting than others? (eg. tall basketball players, short gymnasts, big waist weightlifters, narrow waist bodybuilders.)
well being fit certainly helps ;) controlling ur heartrate and all . Other wise it all boils down to the comfort level ur mind and body can acheive doing something in a stressful comp. environment ;) overweight ppl. do pretty well in shooting but overly fat person will have problems in his position I suppose. Personally I find that before the shooting season the prospect of bettering ones score prooves to be a great motivator to join an gym or start exercising to be fit ;)have fun....

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:17 pm

I do siddhi samadhi yoga, find a place and join in. even a 10 day beginner course, when practiced every day, will make a major difference.I wont extol the virtues here, but all the so called 'arcane' human functions will suddenly light up-this , coming from a cynic who is a total convert.
Yes muscle tone is important.Teach the body the stress of a new position -say prone, in a conscious state, effort of holding position , the weight of the rifle, the constraints of the coat and the sling.
Will take atleast a couple of weeks of dry practice for the tone up-both mental and physical.
DO NOT use heavy weights all of a sudden- you'll end up with muscle strain/ tears /pulls. and hurt yourself.
Muscle groups involved , start with your neck, shoulders and arms.A toned abdomen would also help.As would deep breathing exercises-NOT hyperventilation! ;)

Normally, one is not conscious of the heart beat.
The ideal state of zen like trigger release, is supposedly BETWEEN the relaxation and contraction of the heart!
Now that must be some awesome
state of control !
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:53 pm

thanks for the tips and answers guys.
have been a bit out of touch lately.(for reasons see general ramblings.)
will be posting some more questions real soon so watch out.

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: big bore rifles faqs for a beginner.

Post by sa_ali » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:02 pm

I was just reading this old thread, something struck my mind.
How good will be BSA 15 shot Tube model.22 good for rimfire competition. I never tried my hands on this.

amer4545
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: big bore rifles faqs for a beginner.

Post by amer4545 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:53 pm

Shooter,
I am deeply interested in participating in a Big Bore Championship in India -India or Mhow or any other.
Can you tell me what kind of practice regimen i should build? Also what kind of weapon should i use? Are air guns good for practice on a 10 m range with the 10 m target? How long should i practice? How many shots? What kind of exercises are recommended?Weight training or not? Cardio swimming i feel should be good, anything to lower the heart rate. What else goes into making me last in a match with a 475 or better.

My best shot was a shooting a quarter at a distance of 30 mts with a scope.

Also the pre-requisites , for example do i need a club membership, my own weapon or a borrowed one is fine, should i be pre qualified or anyone can go stand in line and shoot?

Many thanks
Amer
I feel Big Bore is the real thing