My Journey

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
kb100
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

My Journey

Post by kb100 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:02 pm

Folks

Thought I need a thread to catalogue my initiation/journey into/in shooting sports.( I did not find other threads/section relating to this -mods may kindly move it to the relevant section if this one is inappropriate)

So there! I had in my hand the ID card issued by KSRA - a process that took all of 4 weeks from start to finish (and documented in the appropriate section).

This weekend I decided to try my hand out and take my first steps into the sport.

TenX was gracious enough to accompany me - in his words to ensure I begin 'right' - and we leave no unlearning for tomorrow. He put me thru the basics of technique, posture etc.

I got me a open sight IHP25/35 issued (I have a feeling its the former) from the armoury with some 40 pellets and four targets. Set it up.. and let her fly...

First 10 shots looked like this Image

By the twentieth shot various hitherto forgotten muscle-groups were letting me know they exist! :) Spent the next ten shots getting used to that.

The last set of ten shots looked like this Image
A Closed Mouth Gathers No Feet!

For Advertising mail webmaster
m24
Veteran
Veteran

Re: My Journey

Post by m24 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Getting there. Keep it up. :cheers:

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

thomast1
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by thomast1 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:46 pm

:) going great.. :)

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:53 pm

well done
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:01 am

Nice going KB100, What was the distance of target from your rifle ? May be you can consider a actual 10M ISSF Rifle target than shooting on Pistol Target. How about your zero point when building your position ? The second picture looks pretty good for a beginner, Great going and keep up the good work.
Thanks and Regards,
Saptarshi

kb100
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kb100 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:30 am

Thank you m24,thomast1,shooter and to_saptarshi. :)

@ to_saptarshi - This was shot at the KSRA indoor 10m range. W.r.t the target, this is what I was issued by the range officer. The seniors at the club said the open sights always use a pistol target - and the rifle target is apparently used only with a peep sight. This rifle had open sights. Coupled to that the gun itself had paper packing propping the rear sight up and keeping it in place! The rifle is rather old - one pellet never left the barrel! Variables abound! :)

Looking back, I was concentrating on getting the upper-body right, 'locking' the rifle in position etc. I did not want to try too many things on the first day. I struggled with the cheek positioning - I had to kinda cringe to be able to get the sights aligned , or prop the gun up unnaturally - which made it impossible to control. My feet were in the standard stance (one shoulder width apart).

I do want to get my own gun so that I don't have to also deal with equipment limitations, and the mistakes will be easier to analyse as well. However, TenX has advised me to give it some time to figure out if I am a rifle or a pistol shooter. TenX has again been extraordinarily generous and helpful - He lent me his IHP .22 for practicing at home. I have been practicing the 'hold' throughout the night! (The reactions from my wife and kids - even neighbours - when I walked in home with the gun were hilarious! :D )

The W.A.F doesn't look good! (Wife Acceptance Factor). If she ever gets to know how much a match gun costs, you might have to clear the airspace around south of Bangalore for some time! :mrgreen:
A Closed Mouth Gathers No Feet!

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:57 pm

kb100 wrote: The W.A.F doesn't look good! (Wife Acceptance Factor). If she ever gets to know how much a match gun costs, you might have to clear the airspace around south of Bangalore for some time! :mrgreen:
I think TenX is right. Give both the disciplines some time and then decide.

As for WAF, it would always be like that. As and when required, PM us to know the latest lies that's a required must to go with the purchase. :)

Regards

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:30 pm

Good shooting. Keep it up
kb100 wrote:
The W.A.F doesn't look good! (Wife Acceptance Factor). If she ever gets to know how much a match gun costs, you might have to clear the airspace around south of Bangalore for some time! :mrgreen:
My biggest nightmare is, that when I am dead, my wife will sell my guns at the price I told her I bought them.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:35 pm

hamiclar01 wrote: My biggest nightmare is, that when I am dead, my wife will sell my guns at the price I told her I bought them.
ROTFL

icemanV
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by icemanV » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:54 pm

hamiclar01 wrote:Good shooting. Keep it up
kb100 wrote:
My biggest nightmare is, that when I am dead, my wife will sell my guns at the price I told her I bought them.
ROTFL ROTFL

Man you are hilarious. :cheers: