My Grandfather's Shotgun, Now my uncle is License Holder - Can I get it transferred? Uncle is 75 y.o

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
sourodeep28
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

My Grandfather's Shotgun, Now my uncle is License Holder - Can I get it transferred? Uncle is 75 y.o

Post by sourodeep28 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:36 pm

Hello,
I'm from Jalpaiguri, West Bengal. Our family gun, a 12 bore shotgun.
My grandfather owned a shotgun and eventually it was transferred to my uncle's name.
Now he's 75. He did not renew the gun license for couple of years.
My question to all the learned members of the forum is:
1. Can we renew the license now?
2. Can this license be transferred to my name? He's 70 and he's willing to do it. If yes, what are the steps?
3. If the license cannot be transferred, Can I apply for a new license in this category?

P.S - I'm 30. I'm in a salaried job. I have ITR. I cannot prove threat to life.
If possible, I'm willing to buy a .22 bore LR.

Any contacts in North Bengal would be a big help.

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: My Grandfather's Shotgun, Now my uncle is License Holder - Can I get it transferred? Uncle is 75 y.o

Post by mundaire » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:53 pm

1. Yes, upon payment of a penalty. I believe it can be fairly hefty these days.
2. If he's willing to give it to you, sure. Please search these forums for the process of transfer of family heirloom
3. Anyone legally resident in India can apply for an arms license. Refer to the various discussions here on the process to be followed.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Able
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: My Grandfather's Shotgun, Now my uncle is License Holder - Can I get it transferred? Uncle is 75 y.o

Post by Able » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:20 pm

I wonder if there would be a problem with renewing the licence as the new rules states that every license holder should have a UIN, and that time period had passed (to make UIN for old licence). Please share your experience and process if you make it happen, I'm curious about it.

sourodeep28
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by sourodeep28 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:35 am

@mundaire
Thank you for your valuable reply.

@able
I've heard that before. Few years have passed since he last renewed the license. I'll go ahead with that. I'll post updates under this thread if it happens.

kingpinmaddox
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by kingpinmaddox » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:14 pm

Just replying to the thread so I get notified if and when you update as I'm in a similar position.