License holder moving abroad.

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
andy_d
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

License holder moving abroad.

Post by andy_d » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:50 am

To all the respected members of gun community,
I have a question I am holder of firearms license in Gujarat, wondering if I can appoint my mother to renew license so that it doesn’t get stale/expire, since I am moving abroad, any advice on this matter is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Anirudh

For Advertising mail webmaster
revolver
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: License holder moving abroad.

Post by revolver » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:48 am

There are two ways of going about it since the weapon will have to be produced to the authorities during licence renewal.

1. Since a licencee can no longer add a retainer on his/her licence, what requires to be done is a fresh licence application in your mother’s name can be applied for as a retainer so that once the license is issued to your mother, your weapon can be added on her license and she can take it along with her to produce before the authorities when your license is required to be renewed.

2. You can deposit your weapon with the police Armoury before you leave. In such a case your mother will only be required to carry your Arms license along with a weapon deposit receipt when she goes to renew your license. You may also draft an authority letter/ undertaking stating that you would be moving abroad and that you authorise your mother to renew the license on your behalf which she can submit during renewal.

Both methods can be used depending on time available at hand as licence approval even for a retainer will take time. The second method is reasonably faster.

Regards

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:58 am

A third option is to deposit the firearm at an armoury and have them follow up the renewal process. They may have you sign some papers in advance and ask for a deposit to cover expenses for keeping the firearm with them and to renew the license etc.
Having said that please find some armoury you can trust.
Regards,
Anand

andy_d
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by andy_d » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:26 pm

Thank you Revolver and Anand for your prompt response, Highly appreciated.
Thanking you.
Anirudh

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:24 pm

Hi,

I suggest you deposit with a reputed arms dealers are they will also service your weapon from time to time for small fee, instead of police armory. And important question is how long will be your trip?

Write here/DM me if you have more queries.

Good luck.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:42 pm

For how long are you going ?

If nothing works out then you can renew after returning back. Late renew with genuine reasoning is ok.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.