Paradox SKS Gun, Restricted or Permissible? (PB OR NPB)

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
KDS991213
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Paradox SKS Gun, Restricted or Permissible? (PB OR NPB)

Post by KDS991213 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:07 pm

So i recently came across a rifle-shotgun? Thingy. Its an old SKS & fires 5.45x39 ammo & has a 20 inch barrel. The first 10 inches are smooth & the last 10 inches are rifled. Does it fall under Restricted or Permissible category? (PB/NPB)? Thanks in advance. By the way its semi automatic.
Last edited by KDS991213 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Paradox SKS Gun, Restricted or Permissible? (PB OR NPB)

Post by Vikram » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:23 pm

Could you please post a few photos of the gun?
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

KDS991213
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by KDS991213 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:02 pm

Vikram wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:23 pm
Could you please post a few photos of the gun?
unfortunately i don't have any. Its looks exactly like a sks & works like one but fires 5.45x39 & with the 10 inch smooth bore & 10 inch rifled shenanigan.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:31 pm

So, it essentially is a semi-automatic and fires a rifle round? It is a restricted firearm and you would require the so called PB licence to own it.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:40 am

KDS991213 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:07 pm
So i recently came across a rifle-shotgun? Thingy. Its an old SKS & fires 5.45x39 ammo & has a 20 inch barrel. The first 10 inches are smooth & the last 10 inches are rifled. Does it fall under Restricted or Permissible category? (PB/NPB)? Thanks in advance. By the way its semi automatic.
Paradox is linked with shotguns and not rifles. What you have seen could be an old SKS with worn out grooves. Because of heat and pressure, the barrel (grooves) wear out more from chamber end than muzzle end.

So it is highly possible what you have seen is a barrel with grooves almost completely worn out from chamber end (making it look smooth bore) and some rifling left towards the muzzle end (making it look rifled).
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

KDS991213
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by KDS991213 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:46 am

Vineet wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:40 am
KDS991213 wrote:
Paradox is linked with shotguns and not rifles. What you have seen could be an old SKS with worn out grooves. Because of heat and pressure, the barrel (grooves) wear out more from chamber end than muzzle end.

So it is highly possible what you have seen is a barrel with grooves almost completely worn out from chamber end (making it look smooth bore) and some rifling left towards the muzzle end (making it look rifled).
Nah, its an sks with a 10 inch smooth bore and 10 inch rifled barrel. Like this gun https://modernfirearms.net/en/shotguns/ ... o-208-eng/ However this gun has a 6 inch rifled barrel & 14 inch smooth bore barrel & different ammo.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:19 am

I don't know about the legalities of the gun, but the link you provided is quite interesting! It would definately be a fun gun to own. Thanks for sharing. If you find out the legalities of this gun, please share them with us and also, whether you end up getting it.

The link you provided says (in part): "per Russian laws, Paradox-rifled barrel with rifling part shorter than 15cm is still considered a “shotgun” barrel."

Since 15 cm is less than 6 inches, it would seem that the rifle you describe is not something made in Russia for the Russian market, at least. Are there any markings of manufacture on the weapon?
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

KDS991213
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by KDS991213 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:11 am

timmy wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:19 am
I don't know about the legalities of the gun, but the link you provided is quite interesting! It would definately be a fun gun to own. Thanks for sharing. If you find out the legalities of this gun, please share them with us and also, whether you end up getting it.

The link you provided says (in part): "per Russian laws, Paradox-rifled barrel with rifling part shorter than 15cm is still considered a “shotgun” barrel."

Since 15 cm is less than 6 inches, it would seem that the rifle you describe is not something made in Russia for the Russian market, at least. Are there any markings of manufacture on the weapon?
I don't have any pictures on my hand but I do distinctly remember that it was marked to have been made in 1953 & was rechambered or the barrel was changed entirely (with the 10 inch smoothbore & rifled thing) for 5.45x39 around 80s(?) Btw i was meant to say 15 cm not 6 inches, 15 cm = 5.9 in, so i was a bit confused there.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:42 pm

KDS991213 wrote:
We normally think that there are two types of weapon categories i.e PB and NPB

But actually there are three categories Prohibited, Restricted and Permissible (NPB)

License for Prohibited weapons can not be obtained under any circumstances for example brust fire weapons comes under this category

Restricted category is like 9mm pistol and we wrongly call it PB.

Permissible is what we call NPB.

The above mentioned rifle will fall under Restricted category because its semi auto.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

KDS991213
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by KDS991213 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:04 pm

Vineet wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:42 pm
KDS991213 wrote:
We normally think that there are two types of weapon categories i.e PB and NPB

But actually there are three categories Prohibited, Restricted and Permissible (NPB)

License for Prohibited weapons can not be obtained under any circumstances for example brust fire weapons comes under this category

Restricted category is like 9mm pistol and we wrongly call it PB.

Permissible is what we call NPB.

The above mentioned rifle will fall under Restricted category because its semi auto.
Yeah i know that, I've mentioned that in the main topic heading. Its just that i've always been around people who are stuck in the prohibited bore & non prohibited bore term even the police & licensing authority & a good amount of people on websites are fixated on that term so i kind of have to use those terms often.

In Russia you can have 6 inches (140 mm) of rifling on the muzzle end & still have the gun classify as shotgun, there are countries which allow you to have 50% of the barrel from the muzzle end to be rifled & have it be classified as shotgun.

In our arms act things like this haven't been mentioned & the original gun holder has a restricted category permit. That is why i want to know the legality of that gun.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:18 am

I'm sorry, I mis-typed. I meant to say, "Since 15 cm is less than 10 inches, it would seem that the rifle you describe is not something made in Russia for the Russian market, at least." With 10 inches of rifling left in the barrel, it wouldn't qualify for being a smooth bore.

Its marking of 1953 is interesting. This means it must be Soviet made, since the Soviets didn't share the SKS with China or other comm-bloc nations until later. Nor was the 5.45x39 adopted until nearly two decades later. So, there's a Soviet rifle that must have been rebarreled at some time, possibly with the smooth bore section, or that could have been done later.

Whatever this thing is, it seems like someone's gunsmithing project of some sort, for any number of reasons.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

KDS991213
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by KDS991213 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:28 am

timmy wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:18 am
I'm sorry, I mis-typed. I meant to say, "Since 15 cm is less than 10 inches, it would seem that the rifle you describe is not something made in Russia for the Russian market, at least." With 10 inches of rifling left in the barrel, it wouldn't qualify for being a smooth bore.

Its marking of 1953 is interesting. This means it must be Soviet made, since the Soviets didn't share the SKS with China or other comm-bloc nations until later. Nor was the 5.45x39 adopted until nearly two decades later. So, there's a Soviet rifle that must have been rebarreled at some time, possibly with the smooth bore section, or that could have been done later.

Whatever this thing is, it seems like someone's gunsmithing project of some sort, for any number of reasons.
I've contacted other sons of the original but now deceased owner. From what I could dig up it came to India from some "Stan"? The only Stan that allows 50% of the barrel to be rifled & still be termed it as a shotgun (from the top of my head) is Kazakhstan?(Don't quote me on that one though)

However it is unknown when & where exactly it was modified. When did the 140mm rifled shotgun barrel law came to Russia. Most importantly what is the rules regarding to all this in India. I really want to buy & test this gun.