NRAI Third Weapon

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Post Reply
mavshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:55 am

NRAI Third Weapon

Post by mavshot » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:58 pm

Hello Folks,
Is there any notification/clarification regarding the 3rd weapon (formerly 4th) addition for NRAI club members?

Regards

For Advertising mail webmaster
User avatar
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot
Posts: 5237
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: New Delhi, India
Contact:

Re: NRAI Third Weapon

Post by mundaire » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:13 pm

Please read Section 3 (3) of the Arms Act 1959 - viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1474

copied below for easy reference:
3. (3) Nothing contained in sub-sections (2) shall apply to any dealer in firearms or to any member of a rifle club or rifle association licensed or recognised by the Central Government using a point 22 bore rifle or an air-rifle for target practice.
Since this exemption is part of the Arms Act itself, there is no need for any further notification and/ or clarification in this regard.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mavshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:55 am

Re: NRAI Third Weapon

Post by mavshot » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:16 pm

mundaire wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:13 pm
Please read Section 3 (3) of the Arms Act 1959 - viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1474

copied below for easy reference:
3. (3) Nothing contained in sub-sections (2) shall apply to any dealer in firearms or to any member of a rifle club or rifle association licensed or recognised by the Central Government using a point 22 bore rifle or an air-rifle for target practice.
Since this exemption is part of the Arms Act itself, there is no need for any further notification and/ or clarification in this regard.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot
Posts: 5237
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: New Delhi, India
Contact:

Re: NRAI Third Weapon

Post by mundaire » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:17 am

Why is it going about? Because many licensing authorities themselves are unclear about the law, sad state of affairs, but that's a fact.

The law however, is quite clear on this matter, and I have posted the relevant Section from the Arms Act 1959 above, for everyone to read and draw their own conclusions on what it means.

If you would like, you can always consult a lawyer and get his opinion on the matter.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mr.Shome
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:24 pm

Re: NRAI Third Weapon

Post by Mr.Shome » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:09 pm

mavshot wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:16 pm
mundaire wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:13 pm
Please read Section 3 (3) of the Arms Act 1959 - viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1474

copied below for easy reference:
3. (3) Nothing contained in sub-sections (2) shall apply to any dealer in firearms or to any member of a rifle club or rifle association licensed or recognised by the Central Government using a point 22 bore rifle or an air-rifle for target practice.
Since this exemption is part of the Arms Act itself, there is no need for any further notification and/ or clarification in this regard.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
If I recall correctly, the additional weapon for sports is no longer restricted to .22 LR or .22 Air Rifle, as the word 'firearm' replaced these two weapons in the amended act. So, a sports shooter in centrefire or other concerned events should be entitled to that particular 'firearm'. I hope, I didn't get it wrong.

Best regards.
Mil Sake Aasani Sey Uski Khwaish Kisko hai. Zid toh uski hai, jo muqaddar mein likha he nahin

User avatar
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot
Posts: 5237
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: New Delhi, India
Contact:

Re: NRAI Third Weapon

Post by mundaire » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:05 pm

Mr.Shome wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:09 pm
If I recall correctly, the additional weapon for sports is no longer restricted to .22 LR or .22 Air Rifle, as the word 'firearm' replaced these two weapons in the amended act. So, a sports shooter in centrefire or other concerned events should be entitled to that particular 'firearm'. I hope, I didn't get it wrong.

Best regards.

Your recollection is not entirely wrong, they did indeed replace "point 22 bore rifle or an air-rifle" with "firearm" in ONE PLACE, BUT that was in Section 13 (3) (a) (ii) AND NOT in Section 3 (3).

The effect of this change is to enable easier grant of licenses for the purpose of target shooting, by removing the restriction under "shall grant" clause to just 22 rifle/ air rifle and broadening it to include all firearms.

However, this change has no impact on the provisions under Section 3(3).

Personally I think that this may be an oversight on the part of the legislature, as previously the provisions of Section 13 (3) (a) (ii) AND Section 3 (3) were in harmony. But this amendment has changed only Section 13 (3) (a) (ii) while missing out on suitably amending Section 3 (3) - thus the confusion in the minds of many people.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mr.Shome
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:24 pm

Re: NRAI Third Weapon

Post by Mr.Shome » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:08 pm

mundaire wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:05 pm
Mr.Shome wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:09 pm
If I recall correctly, the additional weapon for sports is no longer restricted to .22 LR or .22 Air Rifle, as the word 'firearm' replaced these two weapons in the amended act. So, a sports shooter in centrefire or other concerned events should be entitled to that particular 'firearm'. I hope, I didn't get it wrong.

Best regards.

Your recollection is not entirely wrong, they did indeed replace "point 22 bore rifle or an air-rifle" with "firearm" in ONE PLACE, BUT that was in Section 13 (3) (a) (ii) AND NOT in Section 3 (3).

The effect of this change is to enable easier grant of licenses for the purpose of target shooting, by removing the restriction under "shall grant" clause to just 22 rifle/ air rifle and broadening it to include all firearms.

However, this change has no impact on the provisions under Section 3(3).

Personally I think that this may be an oversight on the part of the legislature, as previously the provisions of Section 13 (3) (a) (ii) AND Section 3 (3) were in harmony. But this amendment has changed only Section 13 (3) (a) (ii) while missing out on suitably amending Section 3 (3) - thus the confusion in the minds of many people.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Many thanks for explaining this so diligently. Sadly, laws aside, it's more about the tyraniccal character and rotten mindset.

Best regards.
Mil Sake Aasani Sey Uski Khwaish Kisko hai. Zid toh uski hai, jo muqaddar mein likha he nahin

Post Reply