DC office not accepting Renewal Form during Lockdown

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
tarzanboy73
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

DC office not accepting Renewal Form during Lockdown

Post by tarzanboy73 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:57 pm

Dear All,
My license was due for renewal on 19 Apr 20. The DC office however refused to take the renewal form stating that they are busy with the lockdown. They are still not taking the forms and now claim to be waiting for a MHA clarification. Is anyone else facing the same problem? I am at N Goa.

Regards

T

For Advertising mail webmaster
rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: DC office not accepting Renewal Form during Lockdown

Post by rahulbdelhi » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:56 pm

Sorry to hear that. Can you still keep the weapon in your possession or have to deposit it?

tarzanboy73
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by tarzanboy73 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:09 am

I have deposited it

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:53 am

Punjab government has announced that all arms licenses and NOC'S that have expired in the lockdown period will get grace period till 30th June 2020 and will not be charged late fees. Now arms related work have been resumed in Punjab and licenses are being renewed for five years.

Similar announcement was also made by West Bengal government. Hope other state governments announce the same.

Licencee can not be made responsible for delay due to lockdown.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

tarzanboy73
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by tarzanboy73 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:36 pm

I hope they do the same here. Can you please tell me where I can find a copy of the Punjab and Bengal Govt order.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:04 pm

Here is for West Bengal. Punjab one is in Punjabi so it won't help you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

tarzanboy73
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by tarzanboy73 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:18 pm

Thanks a lot. Hopefully they will do the same at Goa or at least not create any issues during renewal later .

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:57 pm

Corona , or any emergency , we have to be law abiding in the first place as arms licencees. This will make us stand out from the crowd.
In my humble opinion and practice,applying for renewal can be done 90 days in advance of the last date of validity of the arms licence.

Some '' VERY BUSY "" , "" Come what may "" and "" I can get it done at all costs "" apply for renewal only at the last minute.
I request all our members and friends to apply 90 days in advance of their respective last date of expiry of their licences. By this we will prove that we a responsible lot.
Now comming to the point raised by our member, Mr TARZAN BOY 73, I always insist on all members to send all corresponence only by registered post / speed post so that you become free from all legal delays and excuses , your respective office of your licencing authorities make , create and insulate yourself from any penal action later.

So as a hard and fast rule , all correspondence with your licencing authority MUST be well before the stipulated time and only by medium of registered / speed post.

They will quote any reason to turn your application on flimsy grounds. Later you will be in the box , answering all irellavent queries and acusations of delayed application for renewal and so on.

So send your renewal papers well ahead of time by Registered post and become immune to all irrelavent illegal official excuses .

pran80
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by pran80 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:06 am

Veeveear,
I appreciate your points about using registered post for all documents communication etc, I find it hard to understand your logic behind applying for renewal 90 days in advance to show we are law abiding. If the law permits me to apply for renewal even after the licence has expired then what is the need to follow something which say MAY and not SHOULD.

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:31 am

pran80 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:06 am
Veeveear,
I appreciate your points about using registered post for all documents communication etc, I find it hard to understand your logic behind applying for renewal 90 days in advance to show we are law abiding. If the law permits me to apply for renewal even after the licence has expired then what is the need to follow something which say MAY and not SHOULD.
Applying for renewal 90 days in advance is a provision in the arms act and rules. This will facilitate continuity of your licence and will not break your possession of the weapon . After the date of expiry , possession of your weapon is illegal . Any mishap, incident , connected with your firearm will land you in trouble. By applying early you save yourself all the above troubles and of deposit and resumption of your firearm. It puts the onus of delay on the licencing/ renewing authority and The provision for renewal with late fee is just a facility for exrtaneous situation.

let us make it a habit to be on time always.

tarzanboy73
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by tarzanboy73 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:36 am

veeveeaar wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:57 pm
Corona , or any emergency , we have to be law abiding in the first place as arms licencees. This will make us stand out from the crowd.
In my humble opinion and practice,applying for renewal can be done 90 days in advance of the last date of validity of the arms licence.

Some '' VERY BUSY "" , "" Come what may "" and "" I can get it done at all costs "" apply for renewal only at the last minute.
I request all our members and friends to apply 90 days in advance of their respective last date of expiry of their licences. By this we will prove that we a responsible lot.
Now comming to the point raised by our member, Mr TARZAN BOY 73, I always insist on all members to send all corresponence only by registered post / speed post so that you become free from all legal delays and excuses , your respective office of your licencing authorities make , create and insulate yourself from any penal action later.

So as a hard and fast rule , all correspondence with your licencing authority MUST be well before the stipulated time and only by medium of registered / speed post.

They will quote any reason to turn your application on flimsy grounds. Later you will be in the box , answering all irellavent queries and acusations of delayed application for renewal and so on.

So send your renewal papers well ahead of time by Registered post and become immune to all irrelavent illegal official excuses .
[/quote

My problem was a little different...I had applied for re registration of my license at Goa in Oct 19...The same was not done till 20 Mar 20. My license was due for renewal from 19 Apr 20. So I kept requesting the DC office to expedite the re- registration so that I could submit the renewal application or accept the renewal application and process both simultaneously....Neither was done....Then the lockdown started....So my license is not registered in Goa ....and it has expired....Any question to the DC office they respond with " Busy with the Lockdown"....So I guess I just have to wait !!

tarzanboy73
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by tarzanboy73 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:56 am

As per ' Twitter' lots of people across India are running around trying to get their licenses renewed...Good to know I am not alone... :)