Applied for arms license delhi

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Applied for arms license delhi

Post by rahulbdelhi » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi inplainsight,

I received a letter this friday from the licensing authority that after "due consideration" they have decided to reject my arms license application. I understand that the next step is to appeal to the Lt. Governor of Delhi. Please let me know the process for appealing.

I was checking the web site of the Lt Governor : http://lgdelhi.nic.in
It has a section for registering grievances online. Is that of any help?

Thanks,
Rahul.

For Advertising mail webmaster
inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:49 am

Rahul,

Don't lose hope, this was totally expected.

Did they say why you were rejected? Was it because you don't have a threat to your life and do not 'need' to defend yourself?

Regards
Last edited by inplainsight on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:18 pm

No they didn't mention any reason. Its written that "After due application of mind and considering all the facts and circumstances of your case, your request has not been accepted"

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:27 pm

Nothing unusual that they have not applied their mind but stated a lie that they have applied their mind. This is their usual modus operandi. Do the appeal and see what happens next.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:00 pm

rahulbdelhi wrote:No they didn't mention any reason. Its written that "After due application of mind and considering all the facts and circumstances of your case, your request has not been accepted"
I think this is good. They have clearly failed to give you a reason in writing. They can't just say that 'we rejected you for some reason'...

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:43 pm

I think you should send a strongly worded letter to the ACP, demanding a reason that fulfills section 14.3
Where the licensing authority refuses to grant a licence to any person it shall record in writing the reasons for such refusal and furnish to that person on demand a brief statement of the same unless in any case the licensing authority is of the opinion that it will not be in the public interest to furnish such statement.
Your appeal needs to be prepared based on the reason of rejection. You don't have one.

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi,

I have drafted the below letter to be sent to the ACP office my speed-post / courier . Please let me know if the content is correct or if i missed anything :-

To,
Additional Commissioner,
Licensing Unit, Delhi Police,
1st Floor of Police Station Defence Colony,
Near Mool Chand Hospital, New Delhi.

Subject :- Reason for rejection of arms license application

Sir,
This is in reference to my application no. <<TBD>> dated <<TBD>> for grant of an Arms License, on the grounds of self and family defence. I have received a letter from your office stating that my request has been rejected, without stating the reason(s) for rejection.
As per Section 14.3 of Arms Act 1959:
“Where the licensing authority refuses to grant a licence to any person it shall record in writing the reasons for such refusal and furnish to that person on demand a brief statement of the same unless in any case the licensing authority is of the opinion that it will not be in the public interest to furnish such statement”.

Please reply to my letter providing a reason for the rejection of my application that fulfills Section 14.3 of Arms Act 1959.

Yours faithfully,
Rahul.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:01 pm

Letter is fine but do not send it by any private courier. Send it by Speed Post or Registered Post with A/D.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Great letter. Send it by Speed post. Make sure you hold on to the speed post receipts and a copy of the letter that you are sending.

Also, send an RTI asking for a copy of your file.
Please provide a certified copy of any and all documents, annotations, remarks and/or notes pertaining to ___________'s application for Arms License.

Please provide a certified copy of any and all documents, annotations, remarks and/or notes generated by your department to evaluate __________'s application for Arms License

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:26 pm

is it possible to send the RTI application online?

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:42 pm

Yes, you can. Although, ive never sent one online...

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:30 pm

Sent the letter by speed post demanding reasons for rejection.

I am planning to send the RTI application via speed post. Is there any fixed format in which I need to send the application? I understand that I will have to attach a DD or postal order in favor of the ACP as fee. What is the amount, Rs. 10 or Rs. 25 ? And how do I get them to send the information and documents to my home address by post?

In addition to below questions, should I also ask for reasons for rejection of my application(in case they don't reply to my letter above) ?

1. Please provide a certified copy of any and all documents, annotations, remarks and/or notes pertaining to ___________'s application for Arms License.
2. Please provide a certified copy of any and all documents, annotations, remarks and/or notes generated by your department to evaluate __________'s application for Arms License

I think the most likely reason they would give for rejecting my application is "No specific threat to life". Would it be a good idea to include the below questions as well in the RTI application :-

3. Please provide total number of violent crimes done in last decade in Delhi State. ?
4. Out of the total number of violent crimes done in last decade in Delhi State, how many violent crimes were done after giving threat to the victims?
5. Please provide copy of law or rule under which victims of every violent crime or their dependents or legal heirs can file case against Delhi Police for having failed to protect them.

I think someone in the forum had already asked these questions in an RTI application earlier.

Do let me know your views on this.

Thanks,
Rahul.

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:01 am

Rahul,

Safarigent and I had asked these questions earlier. They won't respond to 4 & 5. Also ask the following
Q. Please provide a certified copy of any and all documents listing rules and regulations governing eligibility for arms license.
Q. Please provide a certified copy of any and all documents listing rules and regulations governing rejection of an arms license application.
Q. Please provide a certified copy of any and all documents listing rules and regulations used to assess the ‘Specific Threat’ level for an arms license applicant.
Let us know the reason that they provide. We can work on your appeal after that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by inplainsight on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:41 am

Thanks inplainsight for sharing the RTI draft. What is the fee amount that I have to enclose ? Should it be a postal order or can it be demand draft as well ?

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:03 am

I have used the RTI one line to submit the RTI online, but its not truly online, they generate a letter, which you have download and sign it, then scan and email it back to them. But yes its efficient as you dont have to worry about post and tracking it.
I have used to file 2 rti, one same at delhi police licensing and other Govt of India Home ministry.