Arms License Application rejected

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Re: Arms License Application rejected

Post by AgentDoubleS » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:41 pm

I've for a date for 11th April at the LG office. Just a month away but sounds like a long long wait...

Bhargav, I'll post the entire story once the decision is reached. I hope it is in my favour. License application is a long arduous journey in itself in Delhi. For anyone wishing to apply be sure they are persevering - that's the most important trait one needs. The experience is frustrating and humorous. My 2 cents to follow later in April and like Safarigent's story should hopefully help a few- his story helped me immensely.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Bhargav
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bhargav » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:45 pm

SS, good luck and keep us posted.

target shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by target shooter » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:42 am

[quote="Safarigent"]I had applied for a shotgun license under the sports category in delhi.
got a letter stating that my application for arms license under sports AND SELF DEFENSE has been rejected as there is no threat to my life.
i went to them and told them that i dont want a license under self defense and did not apply under that category where upon he said he have seen the self defense angle also.

he asked me to show him some certificates of competitions i had taken part in.
i told him that i am starting out now, to which he just shrugged his shoulders.

" to which he said that it wasnt his problem and i am free to appeal to the lg as stated in the letter.
such a sorry and sordid state of affairs.

YummmMa Raaascal la :oops: :evil: . I have another of these 'PEARLS' from the dealing clerk of the licensing authority--- "NPB is not allowed any more you have to be specific of calibre, tell me the bore and I'll write it in your license book" that is what he said with an air of a seer. I could only smile. Lest I may have go for another round of highway truck driver type (full of sugar and milk ) of tea and the funny tasting biscuits in the commissioner's office.

regards,
TS
Last edited by target shooter on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:32 pm

NSP seems to be an internal nomenclature coined by Army for its own purpose and not something that is part of Arms Rules 1962. Instead you could have written NPB since NSP is basically another name for NPB.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

renjith747
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by renjith747 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:21 am

While talking about NPB licence, in Kerala we have to submit the invoice of gun with serial number of the weapon while applying for arms licence.In the licence form there is the description of arms/ ammunition needed.If i purchased a 12 bore SBBL and submited the invoice of the same with application form for the arms licence what shall i write in the arms description.... Non prohibited 12 bore shotgun or NPB SBBL shotgun?Can i change that to DBBL if i need in future?

target shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by target shooter » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:10 pm

goodboy_mentor wrote:NSP seems to be an internal nomenclature coined by Army for its own purpose and not something that is part of Arms Rules 1962. Instead you could have written NPB since NSP is basically another name for NPB.

000PH , MY MISTAKE. Thanks for ticking me in time. I meant NPB. In fact I applied like this -- .22/.315/.3006 (NPB)
I stand corrected.

regards,
TS
Last edited by target shooter on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

target shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by target shooter » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:30 pm

renjith747 wrote:While talking about NPB licence, in Kerala we have to submit the invoice of gun with serial number of the weapon while applying for arms licence.In the licence form there is the description of arms/ ammunition needed.If i purchased a 12 bore SBBL and submited the invoice of the same with application form for the arms licence what shall i write in the arms description.... Non prohibited 12 bore shotgun or NPB SBBL shotgun?Can i change that to DBBL if i need in future?

In some states (Indian) the procedure in vogue is. In case of 12 bore(smooth barrel) the DC/DM can change SBBL to DBBL . In case of rifled or handgun its the commissioner home.
But every lic. authority seems to have some unwritten local rules which may not be loud enough for someone to file a PIL yet hurdle enough to cause pain in the neck.

Regards,
TS

avi88
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by avi88 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:03 am

@Safarigent,

Dont think you are the only one got this reply by Delhi Police Licensing.

I have a firearm licence, own five firearms, an active shooter in local events. I made an application to bring just one firearm on transfer of residence, which is allowed by customs. Still they refused it by saying, dispose off your firearm in there coz you dont have any threat of life here so you dont need it here...

avi88
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by avi88 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:24 am

@Safarigent

Could you please share whats the process of making an appeal to Lg Delhi & whether appeallent has to be present there personally on hearing?

Thanks,

Avi

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:39 pm

They will mention the appelate authority.
I dont know the actual process as i had a lawyer do the footwork for me. Good boy mentor might be able to shed some light on it.
And no, i wasnt there personally.
To Excellence through Diligence.

avi88
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by avi88 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:05 pm

I guess if I write to OSD- Lg Delhi that will be allrite.

Any chance to get contact details of Lawyer you used & his fee etc?

Please PM if you are comfortable with it.

Tnx
Last edited by avi88 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:22 pm

Appellate Authority for Delhi is the Lt. Governor. Appeal is done under Section 18 of Arms Act 1959/Rule 55 of Arms Rules 1962, wherein you do a written "appeal" to the Appellate Authority that instead of issuing arms license as per Section 13 of Arms Act 1959, it has been rejected on legally invalid and baseless grounds. The grounds for rejection by Licensing Authority are not as per Section 14 of Arms Act 1959, giving maximum possible legal reasons in your support, like error in implementing law for processing your application, principles of natural justice, etc. etc. have been violated. Basically the same reasons which you will also be later on giving to the High Court if the appeal is rejected.

Unless you are well versed with the fine points and nuances of the law and are able to articulate them well before the appellate authority, it is always better to be represented by a lawyer instead.

Please avoid revealing your email or personal details publicly on the forum and use PM instead.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

avi88
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by avi88 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Tnx Goodboy Mentor

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:58 pm

AB, All

I had a meeting with the LG yesterday and went with my lawyer. He asked me the reasons and I gave a quick 5 minute speech! He asked the licensing guys for their response- they fumbled through a few lame exucuses like my GVM certificates are old..

And.. Hola! License granted for a year!! :cheers: :cheers: :clap: :cheering:

Clay pigeons beware..here I come! :skeet:

I've shortlisted the Khairuddin o/u (I don't think I could spend more than a lac). It took me over 2 years (including the time I took to mentally prepare myeslf to go through the process!) but it has been worth the effort.

Thanks AB, and to all who've helped and encouraged so far.

For those keen to apply there's only one thing that I'd suggest: persevere- you will have the last laugh.

Regards,
SS

Bhargav
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bhargav » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Congrats SS, do you mind sharing what exactly the LG asked you? And what did you reply?
Why license for only one year? What after that?