Applying for an Arms License in India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
vivekpeter
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Applying for an Arms License in India

Post by vivekpeter » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:31 pm

veeveeaar wrote:Vivek Peter ,First you should have GUTs and be'' FIGHTER''.This Inspector whom you are talking about is just a TOOL of the licencing authority.All he has to do is to check your criminal antecedents and report to his superiors. Even the S.P. has no say in this. He has to just communicate the same to the L.A. Just let it reach a stage after the elections and PM me . I will give you all the backup to get a licence IN A STRAIGHT FORWARD WAY
Hello Sir,

I tried PMing you, but I am not able to send the message. It is still in my outbox. Is there a way to contact you. I will b coming to the Madurai Rifle Club tomorrow. Is it possible to meet you there?

Regards,
Vivek
Gun control??!!

For Advertising mail webmaster
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:51 pm

http://www.delhipolice.nic.in/home/lice ... screen.htm
sorry to hijack the thread guys, but why does this site mention a licensing fee for air rifles?
To Excellence through Diligence.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:24 pm

It is for those air rifles that require license i.e. high powered ones that fail the deal wood test.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:38 pm

aha!
thanks once again

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:03 pm

alright guys,
my paperwork is complete, two things more,
the application wants me to provide a noc from my employer and my company says that they can only give an employment certificate nothing else, spoke to the head of hr today.
secondly, i have applied for a dbbl for double trap, have mentioned that i have applied for membership of dsra.
should i also add that i shoot when i go to bangkok regularly? will that help or not?

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:18 pm

Absolutely no need to mention that you shoot in Bangkok etc. You have mentioned applied for DSRA membership is fine but not required by Arms Act 1959. Why would any employer give you NOC? What does NOC have to do with getting an arms license? Where is Arms Act 1959 asking for all this?

Getting an arms license is your right. Arms Act 1959 is just a regulatory law to regulate the Fundamental Right to Keep and Bear Arms that has been guaranteed under Articles 19 and 21 of Constitution of India. If you are not disqualified under Section 14 of Arms Act 1959, Licensing Authority is clearly directed to issue you an arms license under Section 13 of Arms Act 1959. The copy of relevant portion of Section 13 is produced below for your understanding:
(3) The licensing authority shall grant---

(a) a licence under section 3 where the licence is required---

(i) by a citizen of India in respect of a smooth bore gun having a barrel of not less than twenty inches in length to be used for protection or sport or in respect of a muzzle loading gun to be used for bona fide crop protection:
Reference: http://www.abhijeetsingh.com/arms/india ... r_3_4.html
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:24 pm

thanks for that, seen those links.
open up this link.
http://delhipolicelicensing.gov.in/anne ... xure-4.pdf
i am referring to point 7. i am a salaried person so i am guessing that point is applicable to me.
what do i do?
regards,
a

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:17 pm

You can see the Section 13 of Arms Act 1959 is very clear about what it is saying. It is clearly ordering to the licensing authority that if applicant is a citizen of India and not disqualified as per Section 14 of Arms Act 1959, arms license for a smooth bore gun having a barrel of not less than twenty inches in length should be issued.

DBBL as applied by you is smooth bore gun. Therefore all that is basically needed to be provided by you is the proof of identity and address. You are not required to justify any "need" because it is your right. The burden to refuse your right and justify the refusal is on licensing authority. This can be ascertained from Section 14(3) of Arms Act 1959:
Where the licensing authority refuses to grant a licence to any person it shall record in writing the reasons for such refusal and furnish to that person on demand a brief statement of the same unless in any case the licensing authority is of the opinion that it will not be in the public interest to furnish such statement.
Most of the points including point 7 are plain illegal and unconstitutional. All these points are done with intention to discourage, rather harass arms licenses applicants so that they fall at their feet and beg for arms license.
what do i do?
Your choice either beg or fight.

“When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:19 pm

alright,
so i hand in my papers.
and if they refuse,
i fight.

Fish them all!!!!(note due deference to rules, no abuses!!!)
:twisted:

Pranab7
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Pranab7 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi to All,

I have some very interesting facts to share with you all.
Have procured a new Gun License most recently hence have all the current information right from the Home Ministry till your local police station.

I am posting a very important information for you all, would request you all to kindly go through it.

[attachment=0]The Origianl Order for the HM.pdf

there are some more files with me which is exceeding the permitted size of uploading. hence requesting the webmaster to help me out in this regard.
hope you all would be able to review those files very soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks & Regards
Pranab

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:08 pm

The file that you have uploaded is already uploaded in some other thread. If you search this website you will find this illegal and unconstitutional Policy/Order of MHA and its recent attempt to cleverly amend the present arms act have already been discussed and NAGRI is aware of this. If you read the following thread you would find NAGRI has already met Rajya Sabha Home Committee regarding this matter: http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 85&start=0 This video has also been made by NAGRI http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 69&start=0

You can upload the other files at some other file sharing website and put the link here.

I would request to everyone who has not filled in NAGRI forms please fill them and send at earliest.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:56 pm

Hello people,
i deposited my arms license application papers today.
the whole process took around 30 minutes.
they asked me to get some photocopies done, so i had to run around a bit for that.
there is a photocopier across the road so it wasn't an issue.
i hope that the license comes through at the earliest.
i understand that there will be a 45 day purchase period once the license is issued to procure a weapon.
dont see many double trap/trap shotguns up for sale here, guess i will have to start looking around at the gun houses.
i know i wont be getting an all india endorsement straightaway but wil have to apply for that too(or apply for atleast haryana) as the range is not in delhi i presume. also i plan on shooting in jaipur.
hope that there is a decent amount of ammo permitted too.
how do these people expect new shooters to come up if you authorize them 50 cartridges annually for a discipline like Double trap is beyond my reasoning.
But my journey is now begun separate from my fathers or uncles or grand dads.
my license, my weapon, my right.
cheers

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:06 pm

the purches period is not 45 days, this can be upto 6 moths and can be extended.

do not get mixed up with 45 days sale notice
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:16 pm

hmm,
alright i get your point.
thanks, i asked them the same thing.
but they said its 45 days, one can get it extended if reqd.
cheers

Prejit
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Prejit » Sun May 08, 2011 12:19 pm

HI i need to apply for a Firearm License in Chennai, Appreciate if somebdy can direct me thru..