Ownership of Gun after death of Father

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
slypotato09
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Ownership of Gun after death of Father

Post by slypotato09 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:40 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm reaching out to the community for some guidance during a challenging time. Recently, my father tragically passed away from a heart attack.

Following his passing, I found myself in possession of his firearm - a Revolver 32 (7-65mm). With the upcoming elections and considering safety concerns, many advised me to either deposit the firearm at the nearest police station or with an arms dealer. Ultimately, I decided to submit the gun along with my father's original arms license to the nearest arms dealer. They have agreed to hold onto it for at least a year, charging me 5k for their service.

Now, I'm unsure if this was the best course of action or if there are other options available to me. Thus, I'm turning to this group for advice on what steps to take next.

1. Is it possible to transfer my father's arms license to me and have the gun registered in my name? If so, what would be the associated costs?

2. Can I legally sell the gun without obtaining a license? I've been told that I might be able to obtain permission from the DM office to sell the firearm, citing my father's passing and providing a legal heirship certificate.

3. From a financial perspective, would it be wiser to sell the gun or to keep it?[/list]

Any insights or assistance on these matters would be greatly appreciated, especially as I am already overwhelmed with managing my father's financial affairs. Thank you for your support during this difficult time.

For Advertising mail webmaster
gb123
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Ownership of Gun after death of Father

Post by gb123 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:12 pm

My experience was much similar to you after my father's death in 2021. From what I know having passed through the journey of acquiring a firearms license, my opinions are below
1. It is possible to get your dads weapon on your licence. Infact the licensing authority has category of self defence or hereditary for granting of licence. However, in my case atleast, the DM refused to consider the category of inheritance and I had to establish grounds of self protection. The entire process took about an year and countless rounds of visiting the DM office. Ask the arms shop if they recommend any fixer for obtaining the license.
2. You can sell the weapon after obtaining NOC from all next of kin of the deceased and then applying to the relevant office of the DM/Licensing authority.
3. Keeping an arm doesn't make too much financial sense with modern arms being manufactured in india impacting the value of older imported guns. For an indian made older weapon, the value is significantly less.

My suggestion is simple, get the gun only if you feel emotionally attached to the weapon because the process is a royal pain in the ass

Deepraj patil1616
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Deepraj patil1616 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:12 pm

If you are going to deposit revolver, then best option is arms dealer cause if you deposit in police station then you might get back it in bad condition.
1.Answer to your first question, yes it is possible to acquire gun license under heirloom and transfer gun on that license, but it is very hard process until you can get any politicians recommendation.
2. yes it is possible to sell that gun without obtaining license, you just have to show death certificate of license holder and you will get sell permission then you can sell revolver after 45 days.
3.If you are overwhelmed with managing fathers financial affairs then selling would be good option, cause to own that gun you have might have to spend money.
And if you are going to sell then let me know my cousin is arms dealer, if revolver is in good condition then we will buy it.

slypotato09
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by slypotato09 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:15 pm

Deepraj patil1616 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:12 pm
If you are going to deposit revolver, then best option is arms dealer cause if you deposit in police station then you might get back it in bad condition.
1.Answer to your first question, yes it is possible to acquire gun license under heirloom and transfer gun on that license, but it is very hard process until you can get any politicians recommendation.
2. yes it is possible to sell that gun without obtaining license, you just have to show death certificate of license holder and you will get sell permission then you can sell revolver after 45 days.
3.If you are overwhelmed with managing fathers financial affairs then selling would be good option, cause to own that gun you have might have to spend money.
And if you are going to sell then let me know my cousin is arms dealer, if revolver is in good condition then we will buy it.
Yes, it is in good condition. After reading the responses, I am all the more inclined to sell it. Can I DM You?

Deepraj patil1616
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Deepraj patil1616 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:07 pm

slypotato09 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:15 pm
Deepraj patil1616 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:12 pm
Yes, it is in good condition. After reading the responses, I am all the more inclined to sell it. Can I DM You?
Yes you can DM me.