Buying Air rifle. Some questions.

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Arninger
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Buying Air rifle. Some questions.

Post by Arninger » Fri May 28, 2021 10:53 pm

Hey.
I signed up to this form a while ago to inquire if it's possible to acquire a firearms license for me as a foreigner here in India.
It has turned out, as expected, it doesn't really make sense for me.

In the meantime I bought a Precihole SP60 to do at least some kind of shooting.
I am unfortunately not very impressed with it.

Started with the plastic frontsight not wanting to stay in place. The headless screw must have been over tightened at assembly so the plastic thread was pretty stripped. Helped myself by roughing up the front of the barrel and glueing the sight in place.

Next problem was the amount of oil/grease in the chamber. Every shot I could see some smoke and smell burnt grease. The manual mentioned that at least. Still something I'm used to in that extrem form from a new gun. I ran about 50 pellets through just to get rid of that. At least I could use the cheap pellets that came with itbuaw for that. They don't seem very high quality.

Next was that the front sight is to low, or the rear sight to high, depending on how you see it. On 10 m only light shots, even with rear turned down as possible and the target sitting "on top" of the front sight. Fixed that by taking the aluminium rear sight assembly off and grinding the block it's mounted to down by a millimeter or so.

Not the pistol shoots where I aim, but the precision is still not impressive. Not sure what is causing that. Done think it's me, even with the suboptimal trigger I should be better. Usually get ok groups and then suddenly some total flyers.

Anyways...
Wasn't planning to b**ch about that pistol. Came here to ask some questions.

Since I'm stuck in lockdown and I'm getting really bored I'm planning to buy an air rifle. Planing to spend anything between 5k and 15k.
Seems like the only sensible option is the Precihole NX200. Seems to sell for 13k.
Here some questions.

Is there any other rifle I should consider in the price range I mentioned?
How's the NX200? Can I exped better quality than in the SP60?
What's the exact law abou shooting on my premises/public?

I've rented a small house in the middle of Bangalore. I've some nice long space behind the house and on the roof. Since it's in the middle of the city my house is surrounded by othe building, all higher than mine. So any position outside the house and the roof can be seen into from surrounding buildings.

Can I legally shoot behind the house or on the roof?
Do I have to expect trouble with the neighbors?
Obviously making sure there is no chance of shoots going anywhere besides the target area.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Buying Air rifle. Some questions.

Post by Basu » Sat May 29, 2021 12:55 pm

NX 200 is a class Air rifle with Nitro piston.
There is another class AirRifle Xena with spring Piston.

Both above ARs are made in conformity with Arm Act 2016.

Well you can always shoot in your private area but you must ensure that with proper backstop n no way pellets recochet into other area.
Both above ARs make medium noise.
In India guns are generally not liked by most people.
There you may have to convince your neighbours that this nothing bad but only a sport.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sat May 29, 2021 8:07 pm

Go for an aarmar .177, I have one in other cal. It's very sturdy and accurate. Don't know about its online availablity.
Regards

Shivaji

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Sat May 29, 2021 11:14 pm

Arninger wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:53 pm
Hey.
I signed up to this form a while ago to inquire if it's possible to acquire a firearms license for me as a foreigner here in India.
It has turned out, as expected, it doesn't really make sense for me.

Anyways...
Wasn't planning to b**ch about that pistol. Came here to ask some questions.

Since I'm stuck in lockdown and I'm getting really bored I'm planning to buy an air rifle. Planing to spend anything between 5k and 15k.
Seems like the only sensible option is the Precihole NX200. Seems to sell for 13k.
Here some questions.

Is there any other rifle I should consider in the price range I mentioned?
How's the NX200? Can I exped better quality than in the SP60?
What's the exact law abou shooting on my premises/public?

I've rented a small house in the middle of Bangalore. I've some nice long space behind the house and on the roof. Since it's in the middle of the city my house is surrounded by othe building, all higher than mine. So any position outside the house and the roof can be seen into from surrounding buildings.

Can I legally shoot behind the house or on the roof?
Do I have to expect trouble with the neighbors?
Obviously making sure there is no chance of shoots going anywhere besides the target area.
Get the NX200 and some good pellets like JSB exact 8.44 grains . I have it and it is dead accurate at 10 to 15 meters. SP60 is a junk, at least that's what I found.
The laws in India you are wondering about are primarily relating to shooting with Firearms and not with airguns.
You can buy a 0.177 calibre only without a firearm licence, and that's what is available now a days.

Inside your premise you can shoot airguns legally , but most people in India do not have even airguns so expect people to ogle for the first
few days and children watching curiously. If the sound do not bother neighbors in afternoons and mornings, they won't complain and gradually
lose interest. Make absolutely sure that the pellets do not cross your premises or ricochet from the target. Your neighbours may inform the landlord also about you possessing a "gun". :D

Not only for you, applying for a firearms licence in India doesn't make any sense due to various factors, even for ordinary Indian citizens.
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

Arninger
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Arninger » Sun May 30, 2021 2:02 am

Hey.
Thanks for the input.

Will probably go for the NX200.

Do I see it correctly that the NX100 or any other shorter version are not sold anymore?

The question of a firearms license here has been out the window for a while. Got one for Germany and the UK, that's enough.

For shooting outside the house it's more about breaking any rules than the neighbours.
The fact we are white and keep dogs in the house etc, makes us probably stand out enough anyways.
It was more that I wanted to know in case someone called the cops if there is any law against shooting in the open.

The issue with the landlord should not arise since he's a friend of mine.

Thanks for the info so far.
So buy the rifle and see if there are any issues with the neighbors.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sun May 30, 2021 10:46 am

The NX200 is a great option. Whilst Preciholes pistols are nothing to write home about their rifles are in a different league and getting good groups should not be a problem with the NX200 open sights.
Of course the rifle is completely legal.

With regards to your question of someone calling the cops- the law is open to interpretation in a manner chosen by them.

The roof may not be such a great idea and I'll share a link of a previous case who was in a similar predicament and what followed.

The ideal option would be to shoot in a private farmhouse.
If this is not possible the space behind your house could be considered as an option provided you follow all safety measures and inform your neighbours as a measure of goodwill. It may even be a good idea to inform your landlord. This is just an opinion.

Happy plinking and hope you manage to sort it out.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Mon May 31, 2021 11:58 am

I am sad to hear your experiences with Precihole air pistol . Mine has been completely different. I own one Precihole SP50 mattsilver finish , the earlier version of SP60 . After a few adjustments in rear sight and trigger weight screw , this pistol has been very accurate and engaging so much so that I went ahead and bought a Morini to pursue my hobby . I still shoot with SP50. 8)

I also own one Precihole sx100 air rifle ( spring powered ) and it has been a real charm . I just love this thing . Fit finish and accuracy is of international standards ( I want to say it aloud) . Its accuracy at long shots like 20 and even 30 meters never fails to surprise . :D

As far as shooting in a city or suburban house surrounded by tall buildings where neighborhood can have a peek into your deeds is concerned, you are going to have a police visit soon . Bangalore " family " wale people are like that . Though police would not do any harm to you but they will sure bother you and press some advise very forcefully. But theres a very cost effective hack . You can use a plastic thread net for standing under it and shoot at the target . These nets are used everywhere over their gardens etc to guard plants from harsh sun . It should be long enough to give you a shade that totally conceals your position . That will be more than enough . :mrgreen:
Great men are not born great , they grow great .

Bishop
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bishop » Mon May 31, 2021 11:59 am

Precihole NX100 Club Elite Plus for indoors shooting.Low power means the pellets will make less noise on impact.

Joe999
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Joe999 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:00 am

I was under the assumption that a PCP is always superior in fps and power delivery compared to break barrel.

Pls clarify if rifles like Gamo hunter igt which claims 1400 fps is more powerful than PCP like Walther Rm8 or Airforce Condor etc.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:05 pm

Dear Joe,
My experience says that big foreign companies make tall claims too.
I advise all to do reality check before making a purchase decision.
I have not tested Gamo Hunter IGT so it will not right for me to comment about its performace.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

Rudransh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudransh » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:25 pm

Joe999 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:00 am
I was under the assumption that a PCP is always superior in fps and power delivery compared to break barrel.

Pls clarify if rifles like Gamo hunter igt which claims 1400 fps is more powerful than PCP like Walther Rm8 or Airforce Condor etc.
Damm then u are in for a big shocker ...
Gamo hunter igt which are in indian market does max 14 fpe
Rm8 is a subtle pcp and condor is something else completely..

Regards
Veerbhadra

Rudransh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudransh » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:28 pm

Shivaji.Dasgupta wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 8:07 pm
Go for an aarmar .177, I have one in other cal. It's very sturdy and accurate. Don't know about its online availablity.
Which Model u are talkinh about brother.?? i have mod 18 and i had to spent days to tune it for accuracy and smooth shot cycle..

Joe999
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Joe999 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:14 pm

Rudransh wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:25 pm
Joe999 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:00 am

Damm then u are in for a big shocker ...
Gamo hunter igt which are in indian market does max 14 fpe
Rm8 is a subtle pcp and condor is something else completely..

Regards
Veerbhadra

So your saying a break barrel like gamo or crossman shockwave is better than most low end PCP and at the same time, PCP like FX, Evanix and Airforce are anyday superior to a break barrel? Not to forget, Break barrels are NOISY....

We don't want to do the stupidity of investing 80k or 2 lakh on a PCP to know later that 25k break barrel is superior .... Enlighten me

4X4
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by 4X4 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:33 am

You need to consider two factors here , Cost of initial investment and cost of running.

In a PCP , cost of initial investment is high , and so is the cost of running it , you will have to buy either a PCP hand pump or a PCP compressor or buy a high pressure tank for air and need to spend on refilling it . Again maintenance of PCP guns is more than Springers.

For a Springer , it's just a one time investment, Yes the cooking effort involved is a lot , but to compare with a PCP , the physical effort required in making the set up for compressor or using the hand pump is equally tasking.

If a heavy investment isn't at all a problem for you then do buy a good PCP , you won't regret.

And if you don't want to invest much and still want a quality Air Rifle with good accuracy, then there are many good Springers available. Infant Gamo has come up with Rotatory Magzines for Springers too now , saves time on fetching the pellet and inserting it.

Power wise , as per rules , PCP and Springers will give you same power as well penetration , just that you may get better accuracy from PCP .

Do let us know about what decision you finally make.

Arninger
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Arninger » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:36 pm

Hey.
Quick update.
Bought the NX200 about 2 weeks ago.

Nice enough rifle.
Only complaint so far is that it arrived covered in white dust that looked like mold, some screws were loose and the safety is horrible to operate.

Trigger is massively better than the px60 pistol.
Precision seems to be fine. Can only shoot 9.5 m in my house.
Sight adjustment is good as well.

I mounted a scope, but on 9.5 m that's kind of pointless.
Also the precision with iron sights is better than with the scope. Was a bit confused first, but since a break barrel, the point of impact will always be slightly different. That's why the rear sight is mounted on the barrel and not on the system.
So not sure if I will put the scope back one. Looks better with it though :) .

Definitely powerful. Don't have a chronograph, but I assume it's close to the stated 20 J. Quite loud though. In the house I'm considering putting some foam plugs in my ears.

Now I'm thinking about giving it a nice paint job to customise it a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.