SX 100 Orion spring piston conversion to Nitro.

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
arbind
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

SX 100 Orion spring piston conversion to Nitro.

Post by arbind » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:26 pm

Hi all members !
I'm planning to change the existing spring piston to Precihole's 60 Bar Nitro.

I'd like to confirm if it would enable any power increase from the existing 16 Joules setting.

Also, how effective would JSB Diabolo 5.5mm 18.13 grain be if used in the AR ? I mean to enquire about the resulting stopping power.

If so, up to what range would it be effective?

My dealer flatly said the existing power plant(16 joules) will hardly push the 18 gr. pellet out.

Thanks !

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: SX 100 Orion spring piston conversion to Nitro.

Post by Vikram » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:01 am

arbind wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:26 pm
Also, how effective would JSB Diabolo 5.5mm 18.13 grain be if used in the AR ? I mean to enquire about the resulting stopping power.

If so, up to what range would it be effective?

My dealer flatly said the existing power plant(16 joules) will hardly push the 18 gr. pellet out.

Thanks !
When you speak of stopping power and effective range, what do you have in mind? Since hunting is banned in India, using your air rifle for anything other than target shooting and rats can cause you a lot of legal problems.

Arms Rules 2016 specifically states, "sale or transfer of air weapons including air rifles and air guns having muzzle energy more than 20 joules or 15 ft. lbs. and/or bore more than 0.177”or 4.5 mm and paintball markers or guns having muzzle energy not exceeding 90 m/s or 300 ft/s (300 fsp), shall be made only through an authorised arms and ammunition dealer to a valid arms licence holder."

So, owning a 5.5mm/.22 calibre air rifle in your case requires a license.

Your dealer does not seem to know what he is talking about or only concerned about selling you something. Ask him to catch the pellet when you fire the air rifle from, say, ten metres. :D

I am glad that you asked. Please don't mind if my post came across as somewhat rude. Not my intention.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

arbind
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by arbind » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:00 pm

Hi Vikram,

I'm aware of the legal aspects of .22 cal ARs.

Bought mine 4 years back.

Mainly use it at my farm near Ooty during harvest season(potatoes and carrots) to scare off the wild boar which come after dusk on raiding parties.

We light fires and keep it going till morning, sometimes burst crackers too chase the critters away.

A big nuisance and entails employing additional labour to make sure the losses are kept to a minimum.

I use the AR just to scare them away and mainly the zing of pellets with the resulting sound from the shot are effective during the night when its deathly still so much so that the workers want me to come over with the 'thuppaki' as it's called in Tamil during every harvest season !!!

The animals get culled infrequently by a few of the licensed FA owners after getting the permission of the forest ranger, but the limits set on culling really don't serve the purpose because the animals reproduce at unbelievable speed.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:06 pm

Dear arbind,

SX 100 in .22 max deliver 10 ft lbs after 500 shots with stock spring.
Nitro comes with 55-58 kgs force that will not be sufficient to push a pellet weighing 18.13 guns.

Better stick to 11-12 gns pellet.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

arbind
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by arbind » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:55 pm

Dear Mr.Basu, the dealer from whom i bought the AR said apparently he's bought and fitted several dozens of Precihole nitros which produced 20 joules !!!

I was flabbergasted and was at a loss for words.

I then asked him how that was possible and did he really do that and the guy got kind of irritated but still replied in the affirmative.

He's an old guy. He runs the show with his son who was a professional shooter.

He's been in the arms business for about 20 years minimum.

He was lamenting that he's ordered 20 nitros in October last but still hasn't received the consignment, so he's doubled the order to 40 nos. of the same!

When i said that their website shows that online purchases are very much possible,he said 'Yeah, they're now not bothered about their dealers anymore and they now are more interested in dealing with individual customers.

I asked him,albeit nervously whether he'd atleast fix the nitro piston in place of the springer and he said 'sure, get it from them first.

And I've gone ahead and placed the order for the same, successfully.

But now sir, i really don't want to close all doors behind me firmly, just want to keep one door slightly open because I've received the 18 gr.from Keihberg yesterday (2 tins) and i don't want to see the AR just keep spitting them out instead of firing them (after the nitro job is done).

Dear board members, could you give me some suggestions about increasing the power output to 20 j...after all, it would maybe have just that little bit of extra grunt needed to handle the 18 gr, though that would be very infrequent.

Thanks !

Bishop
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bishop » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:41 am

If it's power that you are after, you can buy NX200 Athena and swap barrels along with the cocking linkage.You'll end up with .22 cal NX200 with more than 20 joules of power and and .177 cal SX100 with around 15 joules of power.But I am pretty sure that switching to Nitro-Piston in your SX100 Orion won't do the trick.

Bishop
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bishop » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:56 am

arbind wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:55 pm
Dear Mr.Basu, the dealer from whom i bought the AR said apparently he's bought and fitted several dozens of Precihole nitros which produced 20 joules !!!

I was flabbergasted and was at a loss for words.

I then asked him how that was possible and did he really do that and the guy got kind of irritated but still replied in the affirmative.

He's an old guy. He runs the show with his son who was a professional shooter.

He's been in the arms business for about 20 years minimum.

He was lamenting that he's ordered 20 nitros in October last but still hasn't received the consignment, so he's doubled the order to 40 nos. of the same!

When i said that their website shows that online purchases are very much possible,he said 'Yeah, they're now not bothered about their dealers anymore and they now are more interested in dealing with individual customers.

I asked him,albeit nervously whether he'd atleast fix the nitro piston in place of the springer and he said 'sure, get it from them first.
Your dealer is a big liar, my friend.Most of the Gunshops in Bangalore just try to loot you.They speak to customers as if they are doing some great favour to us. Once a old man even tried to sell me some cheap pellets in a tins of imported pellets.Funny thing is they were not even full.Around 200's in each of 5 tins😂😂.
Another one quoted ₹2000/ per tin of 8.4 g JSB's.

arbind
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by arbind » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:59 am

Thanks, Mr.Bishop.
I ..uh..have already ordered the nitro 60 Bar.

About 4 days back..
Could i cancel the order now ?.

Ordered direct from Precihole.

But your suggestion, if it's a 100% GO, then maybe I'll do just that.

Buy an Athena NX 200..

But, I'm just curious..why won't the nitro put out more power than the 16 joules in the existing spring piston set up.?

There should be atleast some difference..well...I'm not an expert on this.
I'd be much obliged if any of the experts on this forum could offer some advice on what to do next.

Thanks !!!

Bishop
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bishop » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:00 pm

arbind wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:59 am
Thanks, Mr.Bishop.
I ..uh..have already ordered the nitro 60 Bar.

About 4 days back..
Could i cancel the order now ?.

Ordered direct from Precihole.
Speak to Precihole's customer support,they are quite supportive.If your order ain't shipped already,they may let you cancel your order.
Last edited by Bishop on Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bishop
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bishop » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:10 pm

arbind wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:59 am

But, I'm just curious..why won't the nitro put out more power than the 16 joules in the existing spring piston set up.?

There should be atleast some difference..well...I'm not an expert on this.
I'd be much obliged if any of the experts on this forum could offer some advice on what to do next.

Thanks !!!
It has to do with the limitations in the design of SX100 and NX100 rifles.Nitropiston is one of the methods to achieve the same thing what a spring piston mechanism does.One uses compression of gas while other that of spring.Both are caliberated and matched to the stroke of the rifle to deliver 12 ftlbs.
You may gain very little about half to one joule increase,not more than that.
You can achieve the same by installing a stronger spring like Gsmith m23 spring in your SX100 Orion.
But the gain will be very little,just like switching to Nitro-Piston.

arbind
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by arbind » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:05 pm

Hi Mr. Bishop,

1) What if i swap barrels along with the cocking linkage PLUS fit a G Smith M23 spring... what would i end up with?

Sorry for pumping you for further info, hope you don't mind..

Just being curious and letting my imagination free rein..

Thanks !!

arbind
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by arbind » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:39 pm

Hi all,
Can anyone advise me about the most powerful spring i could use in the SX Orion and what would be the resultant increase in power ?

Thanks !

Bishop
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bishop » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:29 pm

arbind wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:05 pm
Hi Mr. Bishop,

1) What if i swap barrels along with the cocking linkage PLUS fit a G Smith M23 spring... what would i end up with?
You can't have both in Nitro-Piston and Spring in a single rifle.You'll end up with a rifle that won't cock.

Bishop
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bishop » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:32 pm

arbind wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:05 pm

Sorry for pumping you for further info, hope you don't mind.

Thanks !!
Nope,not at all. If you further need any assistance PM me your contact number.I'll be glad to help you.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:43 am

arbind wrote:Hi Vikram,

I'm aware of the legal aspects of .22 cal ARs.

Bought mine 4 years back.

Mainly use it at my farm near Ooty during harvest season(potatoes and carrots) to scare off the wild boar which come after dusk on raiding parties.

We light fires and keep it going till morning, sometimes burst crackers too chase the critters away.

A big nuisance and entails employing additional labour to make sure the losses are kept to a minimum.

I use the AR just to scare them away and mainly the zing of pellets with the resulting sound from the shot are effective during the night when its deathly still so much so that the workers want me to come over with the 'thuppaki' as it's called in Tamil during every harvest season !!!

The animals get culled infrequently by a few of the licensed FA owners after getting the permission of the forest ranger, but the limits set on culling really don't serve the purpose because the animals reproduce at unbelievable speed.
Totally off topic but where is your farm? That entire region from Gudalur to Segur is teaming with wildlife- some beautiful forests!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk