Review: Precihole PX100 Achilles

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
maanbirsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Review: Precihole PX100 Achilles

Post by maanbirsingh » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:32 am

GNV wrote:I chronographed my PX-100 Achilles using four different pellets.
Shooting Chrony Model: BETA. Distance from muzzle to chrony is 5 ft.
capture1.jpg
Very impressive results, very nicely presented too! Thanks for sharing..

Regards,
Maanbir

For Advertising mail webmaster
maanbirsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by maanbirsingh » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:14 am

GNV wrote:I chronographed my PX-100 Achilles using four different pellets.
Shooting Chrony Model: BETA. Distance from muzzle to chrony is 5 ft.
capture1.jpg
Hi GNV,
Sir, did you get the fx magazines? How is your experience with them, does the Achilles cycle them correctly? Also, how many shots are you getting per fill, were you able to test it up to 80 shots?

Keep the reviews coming:)

Regards,
Maanbir

Matthew singh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Matthew singh » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi,
I am new to the forum, can anyone pls let me know how did you all ordered PX 100, can I book it online on 10 kya

Kind Regards

maanbirsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by maanbirsingh » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:16 am

Hi Matthew,
Welcome to the forum. You can order from 10Kya or you can directly order from the Precihole website (preciholesports.com). They have some limitations on sending to certain states, but you can check the Precihole site and also contact them using the address and numbers provided online.

Regards,
Maanbir

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:43 pm

Here my proper review of PX-100 Achilles starts.

Received the gun in a strong wooden box.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
Added in 3 minutes 21 seconds:
5.jpeg
6.jpeg
7.jpeg
8.jpeg
Added in 24 minutes 9 seconds:
9.jpeg
The gun came prefilled with air to 200 BAR. I didn't like it. To me it is a dangerous practice to subject a gun with tank filled to 200 BAR to the handling of by road transporter. However it saved me the effort to fill the gun to 200 BAR.
I didn't like the stock. Precihole Sports adopted the stock of their SX/NX/Spartan guns to fit this PCP. While it is comfortable like on those guns it leaves a gap between the action and sides of the stock. In dusty environment it would cause a lot of trouble to clean the gun after shooting it as dust settles in these gaps and you will have to remove the action from the stock to clean it properly. I wish PH designed a new stock from the pistol grip forward of the current stock which fits the action properly without any gaps. I think PH is cutting costs by adopting one of their current molds to the PCP.
This gun can be dry fired with safety in ON position. I measured the trigger pull weight with a digital scale and the trigger is breaking at around 250 to 260 gms.

Added in 8 minutes 15 seconds:
Aperture Sights are practically useless to me so I mounted my UTG 3-9X32 AO Scope on my Achilles using Low Profile Dovetail Mounts.
10.jpeg
11.jpeg
12.jpeg
Added in 4 minutes 24 seconds:
I zeroed by scope for a near zero of about 15 yards using JSB 8.44 grain pellets. I had already posted these pics but I am posting them again for the sake of continuity.
Achilles at 15 yrds.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-08-02 at 17.49.34.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-08-02 at 17.51.49.jpeg
Added in 5 minutes 50 seconds:
I chronographed the gun using four different pellets. Again I am posting the results for the sake of continuity.
capture1.jpg
Added in 11 minutes 46 seconds:
Due to weather conditions I was unable to test the gun continuously in one go.
Today I tested the pressure curve of the gun with Precipell FT RH 8.7 pellets. The result is given below.
capture2.jpg
Added in 7 minutes 38 seconds:
Achilles Pressure Curve.jpg
Added in 3 minutes 20 seconds:
The result really surprised me because when I first chronographed the gu with different pellets I didn't notice any such drastic reduction in muzzle velocity. So I decided to chronograph the gun again tomorrow .
Tomorrow I'll post the results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maanbirsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by maanbirsingh » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:36 am

Wow, hope that Dr. Shirsat tests all the rifles before they are dispatched :) Results other then the anomaly between shot 35 and 45 look very solid.. thank you for the updates..

Regards,
Maanbir

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:30 pm

I think those low velocity shots were due to bad pellets in the first test.
Today's test results are here.
capture4.jpg
capture5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maanbirsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by maanbirsingh » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:48 am

Hi GNV,
Sir, in my limited knowledge, these are very consistent results! Less then 26 FPS variance between the 1st and 70th shot.. Were you able to test the FX magazine as well?

Regards,
Maanbir

vast
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vast » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:42 am

So guys which pellets are the most accurate for this rifle

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:36 pm

I had also tested the FX Magazines. They are cycling alright. But I think there is a little consistent alignment issue. There is a gap of about 1 mm between the bottom of the magazine and the receiver where the magazine sits. The magazine slides onto the barrel but this gap is allowing the magazine to move. When you push the first pellet into the barrel it aligns itself but the first shot is always way off the target. Depending on the Pellet the force required to push the pellet varies. Also accuracy suffers when using the magazine. Single shot pellet tray that comes with the gun gives best accuracy always. Of all the pellets I had used so far JSB 10.34 grn Exact Heavy Diabolo pellets are the smoothest feeding pellets from a magazine and also gave best accuracy results when using a magazine.
Precihole has finalized the design of their magazines. They 3D printed some magazines for testing and had them tested by some shooters from Mumbai. They selected one final design and in a couple of months PH may release their production magazines into market. I hope their magazines fit correctly in place without any alignment problems.I am not satisfied with the combination of PH Gun and FX Magazines.
GNV

maanbirsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by maanbirsingh » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:40 pm

Thanks for the insights GNV.. your reviews are really thorough and insightful, and you have an excellent PCP rifle :)

Regards,
Maanbir

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:02 pm

PH advises to not go below 90 BAR when shooting the gun. I wanted to see what happens if we go below that point. I kept on shooting and at about 50 BAR my gun started to leak air. Soon the gun's air tank was empty.
One important thing when charging the gun from an empty tank is that the gun SHOULD BE COCKED or the hammer spring pressure pushes the air release valve and air keeps leaking while you are charging the gun as there is no pressure in the tank to keep the valve closed against the hammer spring pressure. If the hammer is in cocked position I guess the gun will not leak air even at 50 or < BAR. I'll have to find if this correct or not.
In my case I kept on shooting and when I heard the gun leaking air I left the hammer in fired position and the tank soon emptied itself. I wanted to find out how much effort is required to fill the gun from empty tank to 200 BAR with the Hill Pump.
Filling the gun with a Hill pump is not a tough job if you are fairly fit. Pumping the gun to 150 BAR is fairly easy. from 150 BAR it becomes a bit tough for me. I am 57 yrs old. 5' 8" high and weigh 79 kgs. I am a heavy smoker. I walk briskly for 60 minutes a day covering 6 Km and 5 days in a week. Except for a little bad shoulders due to little bit of cervical spondylitis I am fairly fit. From 180 BAR to 200 BAR I really have to put my weight on pump hande to pump the gun.
After the first experience of emptying the tank I never tried it again. I am shooting till the pressure drops to 100 BAR which is giving me about 75 shots per fill. I pump the gun to 150 BAR and take a 5 min break and then pump it to 200 BAR. My shoulders ache a little for an hour or so afterwards that's all. Filling the gun to 200 BAR is not as tough as I imagined.
Since the gun is an UNREGULATED PCP and is giving higher power shots from 150 BAR downwards I intend to fill the gun to 150 BAR only and this gives me about 35 to 40 high power shots till 95 or 90 BAR. I intend to do this after doing long range accuracy tests and if accuracy is good in this pressure range I'll stick to it. Pumping from 100 BAR to 150 BAR is very easy.

Rajorshi
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Rajorshi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:27 pm

GNV wrote: Since the gun is an UNREGULATED PCP and is giving higher power shots from 150 BAR downwards I intend to fill the gun to 150 BAR only and this gives me about 35 to 40 high power shots till 95 or 90 BAR.
Confused now. Scarecrow3's review states:
Scarecrow3 wrote: The rifle comes with an air pressure regulator which is not a very common thing in budget and mid range air rifles. What a regulator does it that it converts the high pressure of the tank into a steady preset pressure in it's own chamber. This exposes each pellet to the same pressure of air with every shot as opposed to a continuously dropping pressure for every shot in unregulated guns. Now this is a great feature with the advantages and disadvantages listed below.
Regards,
Rajorshi

Rajorshi
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Rajorshi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:50 pm

Another thing.
The shot string graph shows that at shot 70, you are still going up. Maybe you can get 10-20 more out it? From your first shot string report, I see that it did go up to 80 shots with room to spare.
A note on my previous post: Looking at the shot string, I now understand that this is indeed unregulated. Makes sense - to me, at least.

maanbirsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by maanbirsingh » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Thanks for sharing sir. I got the hill pump too on the basis of online reviews, saying that it is much easier to use and more effective in getting moisture free air in the PCP... have not had the chance to use it as yet though, hoping I've an experience like yours, you seem fitter then me for sure :)
On a different note,I thought this was a regulated PCP, hence the consistent FPS, I didn't realise that it's unregulated..

Regards,
Maanbir