The SDB ARTEMIS air rifle

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
avihkd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: The SDB ARTEMIS air rifle

Post by avihkd » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:36 pm

Can we not contact SDB to find the source of an appropriate main spring for Artemis.? I find them very helpful in arranging spare parts of my other SDB made ARs.

For Advertising mail webmaster
    targetpoint
    Almost at nirvana
    Almost at nirvana

Post by targetpoint » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:25 pm

Dear Sam47,off course will inform you about the mainspring when I will change it.Till now I have shot more than 250 pellets still it is shooting wayward. Tried different position but nothing to of use.Checked all the screws,movement of sights but can't find the reason.
    Then I checked the rifling of barrel and found a roundish,very thin hair like circular shallow cut mark on both the ends.
    So Dear sam47 it will be very helpful if you check your barrels rifling and inform me.
    Thanks.

Added in 2 minutes 2 seconds:
    Use a torch and look 1 1.5 inches deep on both ends.

sam 47
    One of Us (Nirvana)
    One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:19 pm

Sir,I looked at both ends end of the rifling. At the muzzle end there is a fine line but only in 2 lands. From the breech end there are a few specks of rust in a circular manner. There was a complete circle about 1/3 inch in diameter a few weeks ago. I had cleaned it,looks like it is forming again. Couldn't make out anything else, except for my barrel needs a cleaning.
    avihkd wrote:Can we not contact SDB to find the source of an appropriate main spring for Artemis.? I find them very helpful in arranging spare parts of my other SDB made ARs.
    I had written to SDB regarding this issue of mainsprings. They said that they are in the process of developing a better spring for Artemis.
    "Aim small, miss small."

avihkd
    Learning the ropes
    Learning the ropes

Post by avihkd » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:38 pm

Thats a great news! Please put it here if u hv any update on the spring issue.

targetpoint
    Almost at nirvana
    Almost at nirvana

Post by targetpoint » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:03 pm

Dear Sam47,you are very correct that if the cocking slot toward the trigger end of gun is rested on open palm it gives satisfactory result.
    Can we use Cherokee 27 spring as I found the wire dia of stock spring is almost similar( may be) to it?
    Dear Sam47, please post the link of grouping analysis it will be helpful for other members along with me.
    Thanks.

Basu
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by Basu » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:09 am

Dear Target point,
    Do not dream of using Cherokee 27 .
    That is a high carbon spring.
    You will find even more difficult to shoot straight.
    Let this go past 1000 shots then hope the grouping will improve.
    Artemis shoots Mastershot 7.7 gns max at 880 fps, that is 13+ for.
    It is not easy at that velocity for a springer ,weighing 3.2 kgs to shoot straight unless shooter is aware of the tactic.

Basu
    Not all those wander , are lost...............

avihkd
    Learning the ropes
    Learning the ropes

Post by avihkd » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:31 pm

I too find it vry difficult to control my Artemis initially. Once it crossed 1500 shots i tuned it with PH moly grease. Now I can shot (off hand) mini ujala bottle 8 out of 10 times from a distance of 15 yards with open sight. I hope things wl only improve over time.
    Last edited by avihkd on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

targetpoint
    Almost at nirvana
    Almost at nirvana

Post by targetpoint » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:17 pm

Dear avihkd,I too is facing the same difficulty and hope it will settle after more 700+ shots.
    Dear sam47,I tried to remove the pins after removing the end cap but failed to do so,earlier I used to use a blunt nail but even after hitting hard with hammer pins are not coming out.So how you disassemble or rather what you use to remove the pins?

vsraja
    Almost at nirvana
    Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:08 am

Always use spring compressor to dismantle.Make sure that your spring compressor is rightly compressing the end block of the receiver.If the spring is not compressed or over-compressed, then the pin will be very hard to remove.If the spring is rightly compressed,you can remove the pin without using much pressure or any hammer, just a gentle press is enough to take the pin out.If you try harder to remove the pin, then it will damage the pin.
    With regards,
    vsraja

targetpoint
    Almost at nirvana
    Almost at nirvana

Post by targetpoint » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:54 am

Dear vsraja,
    I am compressing the mainspring with spring compressor yet it is not coming out.
    Will try again.I think I am compressing too hard that's why it is refusing to come out.
    Thanks.

sam 47
    One of Us (Nirvana)
    One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:38 am

The pins in the Artemis are very very tight fitting. The trigger retaining pin can be taken out without fitting the rifle on the spring compressor, the second retaining pin will take the pressure when this pin is removed. Remove the trigger and fit into the compressor and then compress, and then remove the second pin.
    I have faced the same difficulty as you and the pins are extremely hard to remove for the first time.I used a hammer and phillips screwdriver to hammer the pins out.Now I have bought a phillips screwdriver of the right diameter, grinded the end to increase contact area and use it as a pin punch. The thing is that the contact area should be large between the object used to punch the pin and the pin, only then will it move out on hammering. Nails, thin screw drivers and flat-headed screw drivers wont work.
    "Aim small, miss small."

targetpoint
    Almost at nirvana
    Almost at nirvana

Post by targetpoint » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:04 pm

Dear sam47,
    Yes the pins are very tightly fitted,It is going to take a great effort to remove it for the first time.
    But for now I will not disassemble it as per your advice instead I will spend more time shooting it so that we get familiar with each other.
    Note-She is very demanding, deserves more attention,vehement, arrogant because of her beauty.

Basu
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:58 am

Unless you have a tap pin of the same diameter of the cross pin, it's really difficult to disassemble and take out the piston.
    Actually , you need to hammer the cross pin to take that out.
    Before using spring press , please ensure that trigger adjusting screw is taken out.
    If not , then the adjustment will go for a toss.

Basu
    Not all those wander , are lost...............

vsraja
    Almost at nirvana
    Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:57 am

I use the used welding rod to take that pin out.It was just below the size of the soft pin.It works well for me.I also use a small hammer.In artemis or apache, we need to remove the trigger assembly first and fully tighten the rear trigger adjustment screw in order to match the level of the end block.Then use the compressor to compress just only to remove the pressure of the spring on the pin.After that you can remove the pin by just inserting any pin, even without the use of hammer.I usually place the punching pin on the soft pin and apply a gentle pressure while compressing the spring.hence when the right compression reached,the soft pin will start to move.That is the optimum compression point to remove the pin.
    With regards,
    vsraja

targetpoint
    Almost at nirvana
    Almost at nirvana

Post by targetpoint » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:03 pm

Thanks vsraja,sam47 and Basu sir,
    For your opinion on how to disassemble the cross pins and will follow the same.
    But for the time being I going to shoot more pellet through it so that it completely break in.
    I discussed a lot with our respected Basu sir and sam47 and send them the images of groupings and they both suggested me to shoot and shoot lot of more pellets until I and my darling became familiar to each other.
    Thanks once again.