The SDB ARTEMIS air rifle

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: The SDB ARTEMIS air rifle

Post by sam 47 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:07 pm

i think my gun is having some issues . after reading your posts i just chronographed it again and this time found out that the power was at an average of 12.4 fpe. such a steady drop in power that too in two days is not expected. i am contacting the manufacturer & trying to figure out what is happening
"Aim small, miss small."

For Advertising mail webmaster
sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:18 pm

penetration is very different from power. .177 pellets in round or pointed nose at 13.5 - 14 fpe can easily penetrate them. in fact in international forums
people post that what pellets should they use in order to reduce over penetration!! i also read in their hunting with air rifle forums where a man claimed he dropped a coyote at 27 m with a 13.5 fpe beeman r9 using crossman premier lites to the center of the skull. and there is a video in you tube ( not the gamo one)of a man killing a 50 kg hog with a single h& n baracuda from a crossman np2 air rifle at around 16 fpe from 18 m.
"Aim small, miss small."

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:55 pm

Chronoconnect is a nice software provided it goes well with hardware.
I used to get strange data in my Samsung galaxy mobile.
Then I shifted to Samsung Tab 2 it was providing low FPS.
I wrote to chronoconnect , and he advised me to use headset to capture sound with Tab 2.
I did the same and started getting authentic data , which was cross tallied with Audacity software.
My information says , tested in light chronograph , Atemis shoots 7.7 Gns MSFH at 850-880 FPS.
Loosening of screw is common problem in high power ARs.
It will continue till the spring is somewhat tamed.
I use Fevifit 33 of Pidilite for 30/- two drops on the thread not more.Cure time is 24 hrs.
Sam47 even if i presume that your gun is shooting at 840,this is a very good power with .177 , yet it is shooting straight ,this is not easy go for me at that velocity.
My SN45 (SDB45 with retired barrel of IHP) shoots dead accurate at 730-750 FPs.
When I tried to increase velocity even by 30 fps , it goes wayward........

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

vidhya007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vidhya007 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:29 pm

Basu wrote:Chronoconnect is a nice software provided it goes well with hardware.
I used to get strange data in my Samsung galaxy mobile.
Basu
@Basu Sir, I didn't use Samsung. I used Lenove vibe X3 phone to test. I also had a samsung earlier when I didn't know how to invoke settings in chrono app.

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:36 pm

my apologies basuda, the power is alright. it was i who mistakenly started shooting at 20 m whereas the distance in the device was entered 15.4 m.
now , vidhya 007 , shoot your gun at 20m , u will see a drastic change.
after adjusting, i shot at 20m, it was alright.
then i shot according to your settings, it produced a 1010 fps, and i understood why u were saying what u were saying. the software cannot distinguish between the two sounds at 32 feet.
after shooting 3 shots at 32 feet, , i again brought it back to 15.4 metres and shot another 6 shot group.
the gun is shooting as straight as i can at 13 fpe, but when the screw loosens , it starts shooting down.
basuda, sorry for stupid question, but suppose i use pidilite on the thread, cam i again unscrew the screw with screwdriver when the AR requires disassembly?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Aim small, miss small."

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:48 pm

I was suggested by chronoconnect by mail to keep the distance 10 mts.
With one drop on dry screw , good to hold.
not pidilite , but Fevifit 33 , you get that in chandni market in Kolkata .
If again unscrews , then use two drops.
Fevifit 33 is not that deadly....but you have to have good power in your hand to unscrew.
Your datas are slightly on the higher side.... which was the pellet ?

Basu

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:23 pm

mastershot flat head yellow box, manufacturer claims that this pellets give max power which is 13.4 fpe, as i have fired 250 shots in total, it varies from 12.8 to 14.2. but the most common readings are 12.8, 13.1 and 13.4. the average velocity is 875-880fps. i never had good success with chronoconnect at 10 m, even with precihole scorpius, it always showed 990 fps and a whopping 22 fpe. but back at 15 m it always produced 10.8- 11.4 fpe.
"Aim small, miss small."

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:21 pm

Dear sam47,
Do not get overambitious about velocity as already it is giving adequate power.
And it is giving accuracy at the same time.
My AR in .177 returns 9.6 FPE and I am damn happy.
What else you want ?
Just Enjoy........ :cheers:

Basu

vidhya007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vidhya007 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:17 pm

sam 47 wrote:my apologies basuda, the power is alright. it was i who mistakenly started shooting at 20 m whereas the distance in the device was entered 15.4 m.
now , vidhya 007 , shoot your gun at 20m , u will see a drastic change.
after adjusting, i shot at 20m, it was alright.
then i shot according to your settings, it produced a 1010 fps, and i understood why u were saying what u were saying. the software cannot distinguish between the two sounds at 32 feet.
after shooting 3 shots at 32 feet, , i again brought it back to 15.4 metres and shot another 6 shot group.
the gun is shooting as straight as i can at 13 fpe, but when the screw loosens , it starts shooting down.
basuda, sorry for stupid question, but suppose i use pidilite on the thread, cam i again unscrew the screw with screwdriver when the AR requires disassembly?
Thanks for the update, I'll try to measure it at 20 metres. But the Chrono app help (I read somewhere) that minimum distance can be as low as 6 or 7 metres....But yeah, i'll try as you said..

I don't understand one thing which you have mentioned...why does it start shooting down when the thread near trigger loosens, because the sights are attched to barrel which i snot moving down? Just curious??? :?

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:43 pm

@basuda, i am not over ambitious about power just was trying to measure it. even i am happy with my 8.2 fpe gd 600 but for its safety issue. i was just measuring what my gun is capable of generating. measurements done, know is the time to enjoy. :cheers:
vidhya,, when the trigger action screw loosens , the action of the entire gun lifts at the trigger end , resulting in the muzzle pointing down by several , which sents pellets down several inches in target.
in two of my lesser guns a model 23 smooth bore, and gd 600, who have lost their screws, and held together by cello tape and a severely thread depleted screw, one can fill the action rising while the trigger is being pressed, resulting in low hits, the solution is to raise the sights and use more cello tape so that the action cant rise. in fact the smooth bore rifle used to shoot 5 inches low at 6 m. 8) 8) the artemises screw had unscrewed by quite a few turns, and the stock screws were also a little loose. i couldnot hit my mark after adjusting sights even after six clicks and shots were straying in all directions,and when i felt i a familiar upward movement while pressing the trigger, i decided to check the screws. interestingly the sights had to be moved back pretty much to their original configuration when screws were tightened, with only two clicks of elevation required.
now my question to you vidhya is how low did the pellets hit on target while shooting with iron sights at 50 m? i saw the scope you got, that can be used for astronomical purposes!! :D i wish i could get one, but in all probability it will be seized. india is paranoid about guns and its accessories , kolkata customs are more paranoid
"Aim small, miss small."

Rudransh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudransh » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:43 am

Dear all
Yes I have Artemis in higher cal and I too shot a lot like 200pellet daily basis .I am continuously getting 15fpe with extreme spread of 6fps.I don't had any loosen screw ever I think its because my holding technique because I let the arm observe the recoil not the gun.

These guns are extremely fast so my suggestion is to zero it on 12mtrs only it will again zero on 35mtrs then it will dive down.if u zero it gun more than this distance it will shoot lower within zero range.beacuse pellet does not get enough time to align with sight and it reaches to near target faster than aligning with sight aim.

I am in love with this article.

Regards

Veerbhadra.

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:12 pm

dear veerbhadra,
i zeroed the gun at 10m, and the second intersection point in the trajectory is 30m .in between all these distances , the gun shoots higher.
& due to my great good luck, it exactly shoots .25 inches higher at 15.4m, so i can use the six 0'clock hold for my candle shooting.
the gun will only shoot low if i try to shoot beyond 30m or closer than 5m. i will not shoot out to 30 m , as currently i only have wadcutter pellets.
moreover guns in .177 with 875 fps at muzzle have decently flat trajectories upto 35 m.
the gun shooting low was neither due to zeroing issues, nor due to trajectory, in my humble opinion.
the screw in front of the trigger guard becomes loose by 1/2 a turn after 15-20 shots, after which it starts shooting low. i carry a screw driver to rectify the problem.
i too am continuosly getting more than 13+ fpe , as regards to spread, i get nearly 20-25 fps spread.6 fps,,?? wow man even match grade target springers produce 10 fps spread. dont take it otherwise,, just asking.
the accuracy of this rifle is phenomenal and thats why i love it the most.
even if the trigger screw becomes loose enough to fall off or gets dethreaded, no worries,
the sdb air rifle plant is a leisurely 30 min walk from my house. :cheers:
vidhya ,,
did you measure the muzzle energy of the gun with chronoconnect at a longer distance??
"Aim small, miss small."

Rudransh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudransh » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:32 pm

sam 47 wrote:@basuda, i am not over ambitious about power just was trying to measure it. even i am happy with my 8.2 fpe gd 600 but for its safety issue. i was just measuring what my gun is capable of generating. measurements done, know is the time to enjoy. :cheers:
vidhya,, when the trigger action screw loosens , the action of the entire gun lifts at the trigger end , resulting in the muzzle pointing down by several , which sents pellets down several inches in target.
in two of my lesser guns a model 23 smooth bore, and gd 600, who have lost their screws, and held together by cello tape and a severely thread depleted screw, one can fill the action rising while the trigger is being pressed, resulting in low hits, the solution is to raise the sights and use more cello tape so that the action cant rise. in fact the smooth bore rifle used to shoot 5 inches low at 6 m. 8) 8) the artemises screw had unscrewed by quite a few turns, and the stock screws were also a little loose. i couldnot hit my mark after adjusting sights even after six clicks and shots were straying in all directions,and when i felt i a familiar upward movement while pressing the trigger, i decided to check the screws. interestingly the sights had to be moved back pretty much to their original configuration when screws were tightened, with only two clicks of elevation required.
now my question to you vidhya is how low did the pellets hit on target while shooting with iron sights at 50 m? i saw the scope you got, that can be used for astronomical purposes!! :D i wish i could get one, but in all probability it will be seized. india is paranoid about guns and its accessories , kolkata customs are more paranoid

Dear Sam
My Artemis is now more than 5k shots old so it's probably completely broken in that's why I am getting consistent velocity spread. I checked it once some time ago on light chroney of one of my friend's shop.

This is a very good airrifle with power and feel.so enjoy.

Regards
Veerbhadra

vidhya007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vidhya007 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:00 pm

sam 47 wrote: vidhya ,,
did you measure the muzzle energy of the gun with chronoconnect at a longer distance??
@Sam, went for a long drive during the weekend (Total 1500 Kms in 2 days). Didn't get time to play with my AR. Wil measure and update you.

Added in 1 minute 5 seconds:
sam 47 wrote: vidhya,, when the trigger action screw loosens , the action of the entire gun lifts at the trigger end , resulting in the muzzle pointing down by several , which sents pellets down several inches in target.
Yeah, I can understand now... :)

Added in 3 minutes 41 seconds:
sam 47 wrote: now my question to you vidhya is how low did the pellets hit on target while shooting with iron sights at 50 m? i saw the scope you got, that can be used for astronomical purposes!! :D i wish i could get one, but in all probability it will be seized. india is paranoid about guns and its accessories , kolkata customs are more paranoid
I'll measure it tomorrow (approximately) and let you know...

My scope came through Kolkata only...Port of entry is kolkata and then it came to b'lore... I don't think you will have any issues with procuring a 3-12*32 (or) 40 from ali express...

vidhya007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vidhya007 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:28 pm

I'm now fed up with measuring the power / velocity etc etc. I wanted the gun to be accurate.

I bought Gsmith high impact, high speed and high split pellets.

Of these three
- high split easily goes inside the chamber and sits perfectly.
- high impact - you have to tilt a little but goes and sits inside the chamber once the head of the pellet passes through
- high speed - You have to tilt a litle and push a little and may have to use a thin screw driver to push and seat the pellet properly

Accuracy - now I understand what you guys mean by one holer... shot after shot - there were instances when 2 or 3 shots went into same hole one after another. Grouping was also less than a 50 paise coin (not sure if these coins come these days)..

Happy with these pellets....

Master shot pellets - although they sits inside the barrel without any issues - they cannot be trusted for accuracy. i found a workaround for these..i used a small star head screw driver to push the pellets slightly so that it sits inside the breach groove (i guess there is very small groove inside the breach to seat the pellet properly - pls correct me if i'm wrong)...then the accuracy is OK..

Now, i guess my artemis likes:
- Diana flat head
- Gsmith pellets (high impact, high split)
....searching for others (Where do i get united shot pellets which most of you guys seem to be liking)