The SDB ARTEMIS air rifle

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: The SDB ARTEMIS air rifle

Post by sam 47 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:26 pm

:) he he ,, i also am only shooting for accuracy as always . power measurement is only for the initial phase to verify manufacturers claims.
i find the gun quite accurate with mastershot flathead pellets upto 20 m. i push them flush with my thumb so that the skirt is not damaged when the breech is closed, thats it.
the only issue i am having is the gun keeps loosing its zero, after being pellet on pellet for a day of 100 pellets , it shoots low the next day, and i have to spend time and pellets fixing the sights again.
the trigger is also very heavy and my finger is quite bruised , by i dare not adjust it any lighter. more shots through the gun will solve the problem i guess.
in 9 days i have exhausted nearly 900 pellets, have only probably less than 100 pellets to see me through diwali.
Monday i will search for round head / pointed pellets in .177 by united shot and master shot.
united shot makes some of the finest pellets for springers ,IMO. they are just a little crude and lack perfection and precision in finish.
the .22 super dyana pointed by unitedshot was the best pellet so far in my precihole scorpious. in less than a year, i fired 14,000 shots and they provided consistent power and accuracy. they are ideal pellets for springers and true value for money.
the issue with gsmith is that their pellets are too heavy, 18+ grains in .22 and 9+ grains in .177. that not only reduces power , cause extra vibrations & the trajectory of the pellet is like a stone chucked underhand. but that should be of least concern if at your normal range you get phenomenal accuracy. i never could hit anything smaller than a 1 rupee coin consistently with g smith pellets at 15.4 m. i cant for the life of me, understand why gsmith makes such heavy pellets when the dominant type of air rifle in the Indian market are sub 15 ft-lb or more accurately sub 12ft-lb springers.
"Aim small, miss small."

For Advertising mail webmaster
debasishroy
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by debasishroy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:47 pm

@rudransh (veer)
15 fpe ? ?
which pellet are you using?

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:56 pm

Dear sam47,
You said to have gone past 900 shots.
Is there any betterment in terms of vibration, cocking sound, cocking effort and accuracy?
I have the notion , at 850+ fps it is purely shooter skill that comes in play .
Further to that Artemis weighing only 3.2 kgs +-.
If it can produce good accuracy at that velocity, then this is one of the best Indian AR.

Basu

Note : Never think that I am doubting it's capability.
Not all those wander , are lost...............

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:18 pm

Basu wrote:
Further to that Artemis weighing only 3.2 kgs +-.
If it can produce good accuracy at that velocity, then this is one of the best Indian AR.

Basu

aint that the truth :D
the cocking effort has reduced significantly, so has all other noises. the hard trigger is just hurting my finger thats it .
held properly, this rifle will put pellet upon pellet at the same place, and compared to precihole scorpius it does not lose any points for accuracy. the precihole rifles are what can i say?? are just a more refined product in my opinion
by the way basuda, what causes an air rifle with iron sights to lose poi after a 100 shots? its very frustrating to see all the pellets in a single tight group, but not on my target but at a brick used as back stop.
"Aim small, miss small."

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:44 pm

It is not the question of iron sight.
Even in scope also , some times readjustment is required.
I wonder as why you are negotiating with hard trigger when you have option to set it as per your preference.
It is nice to note that Artemis has capacity to put pellet upon pellet.

Basu

G.P.Swamy
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by G.P.Swamy » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:36 am

Hi friends, I am looking to buy a new air rifle for long range target practice around 50 plus metres and going to use for rat control in my vegetable fields which are heavy sized white rats around 2-3 kgs. These rats are very sensitive and alert, so it needs to be shoot down from 30+MTR distance. So please suggest shall I go for this SDB ARTEMIS rifle. Which calibre will be effective .177 or .22 to shoot at this distance.

Rudransh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudransh » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:40 am

Hello all
I will not quote any body particular problem but will share my general idea about Artemis what I found out.

Use medium weight pellet for maximum muzzle energy like upto8.4grain in .177 and 13grainers for .5.5 mm.last time when I checked my Artemis I used Diana shot FH which is just below 13grain and accuracy and power was at the optimum level.I know by now that springers like light to medium weight pellets for better power because heavy pellets affects power output negatively it's same opposite in PCP airrifle where u get more power with heavier Pellets but with springers it is different game alright.

The person who is facing shifting point of impact should some homework like first check all screws of stock,sight and should be zeroed in a rested position .once u zero ur gun rested then check again for loosen screw and also note rear sight adjustment.o k after that put gun away and rest some time and again shoot off hand if u POI is shifting then it's shooters fault and he must understand that where he is lacking to shoot correctly.he must not think that gun is behaving differently sometimes tiredness, some thoughts or vibration also cause change in POI ,u can assure shooter fault by just shooting again on rested position.If gun is fine it should shoot straight away.

Let me know if problem persists.

Yes this gun is quite capable of shooting 2 inches Group up to 50mtr with right setup.

Regards
Veerbhadra

debasishroy
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by debasishroy » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:13 am

Last edited by debasishroy on Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:26 pm

For Ratting ......nothing can be better than this link by Moulindu

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21811&start=30

Basu

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:57 pm

debasish roy wrote:As per my knowledge .22 is illegal now...and they are not producing. 22 cals so 177 is the only choice...
Well Roy, about .22 being illegal, it's a very grey area right now. All of us are waiting for clarity.

BD
Last edited by Big Daddy on Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:10 pm

Basuda, i am putting up with the hard trigger because i once had a very bad accident with a gd 600 air rifle , & that experience has left me scarred both physically and mentally regarding direct sear locking triggers. i have lowered the trigger pull weight a little from what it came from the factory, but i am too scared to go any further. know you know why i was overcautious about the trigger mechanism.

veerbhadra, i have done extensive homework on shifting poi of impact, long before i ever bought the artemis. i only shoot rested if i have to zero my gun at 30 yards, at 30 yards it is difficult to zero with iron sights and offhand position. but at 50 feet, things are much easy. i know when the fault is mine.the trigger guard screw loosens after every 15-20 shots i have mentioned before, & that is still a problem. today i finished all of my pellets, and after working with the hold a little more things are much better now. what bothers me is that the poi of impact is not shifting haphazardly. it is only moving down even with trigger guard screw fully tightened. with passage of time. i hope when the gun settles a little more the sights will remain steady. the sights are very tight and i can remove their looseness safely from the equation. so veerbhadra can you please provide me with a solution to this problem? it will be highly appreciated.
G.P. Swammy, i can tell you this is currently a very very good rifle for hunting beyond 25m. at 25+ m, i suggest you go with .177, as holdover will be a
far bigger problem than the windage issue light pellets have. at 50 yards, the pellet from a iron sighted 12 fpe rifle drops by 6-7 inches. at sub 15 fpe,
all the power you can have without losing accuracy is better. 100 fpe and 99 fpe does not make a difference, but 13fpe and 10 fpe sure does.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Aim small, miss small."

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:22 am

Hmmm.....
I understand as to why you are so cautious about trigger.
Let me share what I do.
Holding the AR in right hand I cock it.
Then I by holding pistol grip as well as barrel by both hands , I shift the gun under left underarm.
Load the pellet by right hand and slam back to position.
Shift it to right shoulder for shooting.
When I tune the trigger , just after getting perfect spot , I drop the gun on to the bed, bang it vertically on the bed in loaded condition (without pellet).
When convinced, then I start usual shooting.
I have seen in my Sport that manufacturer has given a harder spring behind the trigger so as avoid any chance of accidental fire.
Again it is you who is going to decide how soft you want it to be.

Basu

debasishroy
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by debasishroy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:39 pm

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:53 pm

Sam,
I do hope the damage did not require long term physio. Do take care. Basu has mentioned it well. Actually, even with trigger safety, one has to be cautious.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:44 pm

actually the rifle came from the factory with the piston rotated at about almost 45 degree instead of 90 degree. the sdb artemis is poles apart from that one.
lack of trigger safety lock doesnot make a gun unsafe, but the lack of common sense on both the part of shooter and manufacturer causes accidents. after accident,i load the pellet into the barrel after just breaking it, and then cock and slam it back in one motion. i check the looseness of pellet in breech before beginning to cock.
Big Daddy, it was a leading plastic surgeon of kolkata who operated on my finger at cmri and saved it. this incident shows how powerful air rifles are, a 7.5fpe air rifle sent the pellet 1 inch deep through flesh and stopped only after nicking the bone.
Last edited by sam 47 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Aim small, miss small."