AARMR Hurricane Model 15. First Impressions. Picture Heavy

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: AARMR Hurricane Model 15. First Impressions. Picture Heavy

Post by asj_raj » Mon May 16, 2016 6:20 am

I'm sure I'm missing something here. They changed it to make it more powerful and gave it a stiffer spring (which does make sense, because stiffer spring should store more energy) but ended up reducing the power?
:?

Edit: Unless on some off chance it is because the new spring is so big that it does not fit at normal length in the chamber and thus cannot expand fully? Which case begs the question what kind of engineering exactly goes down over there.....
Last edited by asj_raj on Mon May 16, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Maheshzarkar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Maheshzarkar » Mon May 16, 2016 3:10 pm

Waiting for the modified version. Sort of losing interest now....

Well it surely does beat any IMAR ...but looks are not all...need performance as well....

asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by asj_raj » Mon May 16, 2016 4:56 pm

Maheshzarkar wrote:Waiting for the modified version. Sort of losing interest now....

Well it surely does beat any IMAR ...but looks are not all...need performance as well....

I spoke to their customer rep yesterday, a helpful lady who informed me that the latest iteration had gone up in cost by 500 and they'll have it in stock by end of May most likely. According to her the major new feature will be the safety lock.
Another model, 'Hurricane Cork' model, according to her is available for Rs 9000 with the difference being that you can fit a piece of cork at the end and shoot a pellet to scare away birds.

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Tue May 17, 2016 11:05 am

It is not a safety lock. It is an anti bear trap lever. It prevents the gun from firing by blocking the trigger until the barrel is closed while cocking the gun.Once the barrel is closed the gun can be fired. A safety lock prevents the gun from firing until it is pushed to fire position whether the barrel is open or not doesn't matter. We usually push the safety OFF just before taking the shot. It is better if we have both anti bear trap mechanism and safety lock in springers. But one still need to follow all the safety rules to be really SAFE.

Regards,
GNV

main13
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by main13 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:12 am

asj_raj wrote:
Maheshzarkar wrote:Waiting for the modified version. Sort of losing interest now....

I spoke to their customer rep yesterday, a helpful lady who informed me that the latest iteration had gone up in cost by 500 and they'll have it in stock by end of May most likely. According to her the major new feature will be the safety lock.
Another model, 'Hurricane Cork' model, according to her is available for Rs 9000 with the difference being that you can fit a piece of cork at the end and shoot a pellet to scare away birds.
Safety lock??! I thought it was an anti-beartrap.. Did you check about picatinny & 2-stage trigger btw? Would love to have a picatinny for holding scopes better.. Should've spoken to Manbir Singh, the techie. Anyways good to hear they'll have it ready by end of May. Last I spoke to Manbir Singh he said he was facing issues with his suppliers which was holding things up...
To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his Gods.

asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by asj_raj » Tue May 17, 2016 11:26 am

I'm afraid I couldn't get a lot out of her about the latest changes because she didn't seem comfortable talking about the 'tech' stuff. Kinda obvious why, now, seeing as she changed the anti bear trap to a safety lock.
I'll try and get in touch with Mr Manbir Singh once I can get my head around what's up with the new spring which @ganeshn has mentioned on the previous page.

main13
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by main13 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:21 am

Yes. She handles marketing & sales there.. Manbir paaji is the go to guy if you need geek facts about the gun! :)

The probable reason for loss of power is the fact that the spring ID was reduced to fit very tightly on to the guide - 'nailed' as Jim Maccari says.. You actually have to twist the new spring clockwise to get it onto the guide... This was done to eliminate the 'buzz' in the earlier models. Apparently its now shooting very smooth & soft with fair bit of accuracy & consistency. The statistical data on a latest model of gun is something I'm awaiting myself..

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Thu May 19, 2016 2:58 pm

The new spring is not that tight on the current production PU spring guide. It fits just like the PH spring fits on PH spring guide. However the spring fits very tight on the Teflon Spring guide they had supplied me to replace the original metal spring guide. But now they seem to be using PU guides instead. The Teflon guide sent to me may only be a prototype.

GNV

asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by asj_raj » Thu May 19, 2016 8:49 pm

Well lets hope they come out with the 'official' stats soon, I'm itching to get my hands on one.

main13
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by main13 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:22 pm

Yes. They had sent their early prototypes to you. Currently they're using HDPE guides, the same material as in Kevlar vests. Its the best thing for the purpose afaik, even if tad expensive. That's what actually increased the pricing perhaps. The piston seal is molybdenum-doped PU, its self-lubing. Again the best material for purpose. They had issues procuring it, Sardarji reverse engineered it! :)

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Fri May 20, 2016 12:05 am

Dear main13,
please buy the gun first examine it and then post about it. I purchased the current production parts and the spring guide is PU and not HDPE. AND KEVLAR is different from HDPE. Even the company is stating that the spring guide is PU in their product flyers. Also they are stating that the anti bear trap as auto safety. I have not yet tested the new parts so I can not say about their performance. And you don't have to nail the current spring guide or screw the spring unto the guide. They fit each other snugly.
For fact's sake please first buy the gun, shoot several thousand pellets and post your findings about its power and accuracy and other things.
Best Regards,
GNV

asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by asj_raj » Fri May 20, 2016 12:25 am

Not to nitpick but the latest email 'flyer' the sales lady sent me states that it uses a PE spring guide.

asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by asj_raj » Fri May 20, 2016 12:32 am

From the horse's mouth, so to speak.....

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Fri May 20, 2016 10:52 pm

My mistake about the material of the spring guide. I am also making my comments after seeing this flyer. The rest of my post are correct. And the build quality of this current PE spring guide is very poor compared to the Teflon guide they sent me. But I have not yet tested the performance of the current spring and spring guide so far because the old spring and Teflon guide are performing beautifully. I think Teflon is more expensive than HDPE.
GNV

asj_raj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by asj_raj » Fri May 20, 2016 11:17 pm

It was not my intent to find mistakes GNV sir, just wanted to make sure that all experts here have the latest info so that they can make educated guesses even when they haven't tried out the latest model first hand. Will help the rest of the pedestrian lot like me in choosing the best AR according to requirements.
You advice is valuable. I'm just wondering what will the manufacturers think when a bunch of people call them and place orders specifically requesting older parts. :lol: