AARMR Hurricane Model 15. First Impressions. Picture Heavy

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: AARMR Hurricane Model 15. First Impressions. Picture Heavy

Post by GNV » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:26 pm

I was unable to plink 200-300 pellets as I intended to today due to sudden rains. Sitting at home all day. However the machinist delivered the filler plug. Was chatting with Jai on whatsup when rain stopped briefly. Went to my terrace and set up my target board and taped a couple of paper targets on it.Shot at a measured range of 19 yards from muzzle to target from a bench rest. Able to try out 3 different pellets before rain again started.

I was shooting with a good scope again after so many years since my old 45. I am shooting with a raw rifle with a kind of stock I am not accustomed to even from a bench rest. And the trigger was set far too back and I could not control it like I can on my ORION yet.

All groups are of 15 pellets.These groups are without making any adjustments to the scope. Simply fitted the scope and shot them.

The photos are below.
IMG_7845.JPG
IMG_7846.JPG
IMG_7847.JPG
This may not conclude the long range accuracy of this gun. But it gives a fairly good idea of this guns potential after a fine tuning is what I think.

My target board is 1' thick thermocole sandwiched between two 6mm Hardboard sheets set against a wall. The pellets are completely penetrating the board and disintegrating on hitting the wall.

Now impatiently waiting shoot those 300 pellets and disassemble and lubricate the gun properly and do some polishing of the trigger sears.

After shooting the gun checked the mount screws and scope ring screws. The mount screws are solid but the ring screws required slight re tightening.

Got to wait and see how they fare after lubrication. Or do I need to use loktite on them ?

GNV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by AnandNair » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:09 pm

That is a very good group. Seems i will have to buy one :) and may be go in for a wooden stock
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:14 pm

Wow !!!
Thats excellent grouping for any new AR at 19 yds..
Ubdoubtedly it carries very high promise in days to come.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:08 am

Yes Sir,

But it needs some serious tuning/Lubrication to dampen the spring twang and vibrations I think.

GNV

main13
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by main13 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:11 am

@GNV Garu Wow! You're the STAR of this discussion... Thanks for taking all that pain for common good! When I first held this gun I had a strong hunch about it.. Your reviews have proved it right! :)
Anxiously awaiting your next review!
s_sharma wrote:Today I visited their retail shop(AARMR). The owner informed me that they are constantly doing research for its improvement. As per his version they have imported machinery to make this model. It has a sturdy feel while one handle this gun-a true Punjabi taste at this rate .
Did you meet that guy in Amritsar? Is there a way I could comfortably get it parcelled to UP from there? Its proving to be a nuisance.. Courier & post office walas seem to be doing dramas while no idea about RMS...
Big Daddy wrote: Why don't you order from some online shop? Cuts the difficulty. If GNV got one by courier then it's possible. Some one is giving excuses to you.
Hmmm! Lets see what can be done.. Am looking to get some modifications done by the manufacturer...
Those guys want to sell it but don't have the keen business sense perhaps...
Big Daddy wrote: About your idea on a perfect 350 clone, wish you all the best, but remember if it were that easy, Indians would not be thirsty for good AR's. Importing a.22 is kissing your money good bye. As GNV mentioned, even with valid papers, it's a harrowing experience to bring in a .177. Your best bet is relish sports. They do the clearance and they are reliable. BTW, they do only .177 and their mark up is not exorbitant.
India is weak in guns, defense, most things martial.. Due to Gandhi-Nehruvian politics..! If you start manufacturing cutlery in ordnance factories.. You will have knives at a time when you will need to have guns... If you simply ban guns yet win elections on their basis, the Desi Bandook manufacturers will have a field day..!
Indian gun manufacturers are mostly souped up desi bandook mistris while dealers are next door baniyas going about their business..! They know they can get away with selling garbage at outrageous prices, so they do it! :evil: :|

As far as importing is concerned.. problem occurs with customs clearance mostly... Lets see, we all have a few good friends in the right places.. Don't we? :twisted:
In fact even .22 isn't quite enuff for me.. Yet I dislike the idea of PCP guns which is unavoidable .25 onwards...
Big Daddy wrote: Drilling through the sites to place radium picks can only be done if you have precision machinery. My RWS had them but they do not influence my aim when I use open sites..... that's a personal trait.
That can be arranged.. What happened to the radium sights btw? Could you post a pic pls? I'm more keen on tritium sights - last 15-20 years..
To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his Gods.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:22 am

Nice grouping for the distance, considering it is a springer.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

mercury
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by mercury » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:11 am

GNV....... 3 sets of15 pellet groups at 20 yards that can be covered by a Rupee coin !!

as both Basu and Kshitiji both point out, that is impressive for a springer right out of the box. early days but , i would also think that is pretty competitive at its price.

how is the pellet 'head' fit in the bore and how pronounced is the rifling ?? (both the JSB and G Smith.)

maybe its performance is ideal at and around the 12 ft lb mark...intentionally or otherwise by the manufacturer !!

a good adjustable trigger does help too.

did not clearly understand the bit of another piston for higher performance by main 13.

great review.
Throw me to the wolves....I will return leading the pack.

ganeshn
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ganeshn » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:15 pm

Awesome, Looks like a 5mm equivalent group size for 5 shots using the JSB exact jumbo. with a 5 shot groups the human fatigue factor can be discounted hence giving a truer accuracy picture, also making it easier to compare the performance data with other makes, my 2c's.

s_sharma
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by s_sharma » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:07 pm

s_sharma wrote:Today I visited their retail shop(AARMR). The owner informed me that they are constantly doing research for its improvement. As per his version they have imported machinery to make this model. It has a sturdy feel while one handle this gun-a true Punjabi taste at this rate .
Did you meet that guy in Amritsar? Is there a way I could comfortably get it parcelled to UP from there? Its proving to be a nuisance.. Courier & post office walas seem to be doing dramas while no idea about RMS...

Hi.
Today visited the shop and saw different models of hurricane. One with dovetail has 2 colors on cylinder: silver and dark gunmetal(black). Another model is with dovetail with and without flash suppressor.The one with flash suppressor can fire corks with explosives also. I have purchased black with dovetail just now. It is heavy but stout gun and will try my hands on it tomorrow. While carrying and handling it gives more a feeling of SLR than assault. The name of shop is Jaswant Singh & Co and the owner is Col. A. S. Puri 9356156466, a thorough gentleman. You can talk to him about delivery in UP but I think you have to send some declaration that this item is for personal use and not for sale in some form no.39.

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:38 am

Senior and experienced shooters please advise me at what range shall I zero my scope for the pellet to cross the sight line first time.( for a 0.22" pellet travelling at 600 fps.).

GNV

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:11 am

I would say zero it at 10yards. That way your first zero will the 10yards and second zero will be at 20yards. Also between 7 to 10 yards will be within one mil dot holdover and 20 to 25 yards will too only be within mil dot holdover. Distance between 10 to 20yards will be less than half mil dot hold under. Maximum range using holdovers should be about 35yards which is a fairly decent ranbe for springers. This is what i used with my precihole.
cheers.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

main13
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by main13 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:38 am

s_sharma wrote:Hi.
Today visited the shop and saw different models of hurricane. One with dovetail has 2 colors on cylinder: silver and dark gunmetal(black). Another model is with dovetail with and without flash suppressor.The one with flash suppressor can fire corks with explosives also. I have purchased black with dovetail just now. It is heavy but stout gun and will try my hands on it tomorrow. While carrying and handling it gives more a feeling of SLR than assault. The name of shop is Jaswant Singh & Co and the owner is Col. A. S. Puri 9356156466, a thorough gentleman. You can talk to him about delivery in UP but I think you have to send some declaration that this item is for personal use and not for sale in some form no.39.
Ahem! Different models.. with/without dovetail/suppressor.. Cork-with-explosive firing ability..??! :shock: Pardon my ignorance but I didn't know we were buying incendiary weapon..! Pity they didn't provide a UBGL..! :lol: Please enlighten me about it some more? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have seen the black, without dovetail version myself. Don't know its ceramic coated or not! & FLASH SUPPRESSOR??! I guess you meant muzzle-weight..?! Flash suppressors are for firearms; muzzle weights balance muzzle climb due to recoil, increasing accuracy..

I would also like to hear more about the model without muzzle weight.. Does it have the usual front sights or different one? What about its accuracy & recoil vis a vis the model with weight?

They have tried to marry a PSG-style butt with an assault rifle lower-receiver grip but perhaps forgot to factor in the absence of a magazine, hence the forward-weight imbalance... My two cents! :)

As far as the delivery is concerned, Form 39 is NOT required, nor any such BS declaration! Its a drama perpetrated by their pet FedEx courier fellow taking too much airs.. :lol:
I've sorted this matter out for them brilliantly naive Punjabis after surviving a lot of 'Sarkari Atyachar'... :| You can now call the AARMR babe-with-awesome-voice & she will happily send you the gun with no nonsense, via DTDC... :wink:

I had told the AARMR babe who picks up the phone to talk to DTDC, First Flight & other couriers about it.. but she didn't & claimed they were all asking for it! :| So I had to run from pillar to post in the Sales Tax office, chasing babus & pestering 'Bade Sahibs'! What I finally found was that as far as sales tax/commercial tax walas are concerned, they won't bother you for anything up to 50-60 thousand, AS LONG AS IT IS ACCOMPANIED BY INVOICE COPY... Their law (at least in UP) seems to state that no such forms is required for personal-use products worth upto 20,000. As you might well be aware of, the invoice value for this gun is around Rs 8000/-, so no need for such troublesome nuisance!

Right from the word go, they will do a gazillion dramas to even hand you the form, then ask you to prove that you're not going to use to kill their sorry ar*e or rob a bank... They will also ask you submit an affidavit to that effect, then ask you to prove you have not lied therein..! (pardon my French, I've had to tolerate this nonsense over the last few days while restraining myself from killing several dozen Tax-walas with my bare hands... :evil: :roll: :lol: )
What is even worse, Form 39 has a counterfoil which goes to the income tax deptt, besides (ideally) provision for a CTO (Central Tax Officer) to personally go & verify your address, ID, PAN Card, Bank Account Details & any other documents that the issuing officer (usually Asst. Tax Commissioner) might ask for to satisfy his distorted bureaucratic fantasies... So apart from your usual stuff you will have a BANDOOK-purchase showing up on your ITR... If it isn't a sarkari/police-wala nightmare in India..... ROTFL
GNV wrote:Senior and experienced shooters please advise me at what range shall I zero my scope for the pellet to cross the sight line first time.( for a 0.22" pellet travelling at 600 fps.).
GNV
GNV Garu did you strip your gun yet??! Am anxiously awaiting your next technical update! :D
To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his Gods.

s_sharma
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by s_sharma » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:09 am

main13 wrote:
s_sharma wrote:Hi.
Ahem! Different models.. with/without dovetail/suppressor.. Cork-with-explosive firing ability..??! :shock: Pardon my ignorance but I didn't know we were buying incendiary weapon..! Pity they didn't provide a UBGL..! :lol: Please enlighten me about it some more? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have seen the black, without dovetail version myself. Don't know its ceramic coated or not! & FLASH SUPPRESSOR??! I guess you meant muzzle-weight..?! Flash suppressors are for firearms; muzzle weights balance muzzle climb due to recoil, increasing accuracy..

I would also like to hear more about the model without muzzle weight.. Does it have the usual front sights or different one? What about its accuracy & recoil vis a vis the model with weight?

They have tried to marry a PSG-style butt with an assault rifle lower-receiver grip but perhaps forgot to factor in the absence of a magazine, hence the forward-weight imbalance... My two cents! :)

As far as the delivery is concerned, Form 39 is NOT required, nor any such BS declaration! Its a drama perpetrated by their pet FedEx courier fellow taking too much airs.. :lol:
I've sorted this matter out for them brilliantly naive Punjabis after surviving a lot of 'Sarkari Atyachar'... :| You can now call the AARMR babe-with-awesome-voice & she will happily send you the gun with no nonsense, via DTDC... :wink:

I had told the AARMR babe who picks up the phone to talk to DTDC, First Flight & other couriers about it.. but she didn't & claimed they were all asking for it! :| So I had to run from pillar to post in the Sales Tax office, chasing babus & pestering 'Bade Sahibs'! What I finally found was that as far as sales tax/commercial tax walas are concerned, they won't bother you for anything up to 50-60 thousand, AS LONG AS IT IS ACCOMPANIED BY INVOICE COPY... Their law (at least in UP) seems to state that no such forms is required for personal-use products worth upto 20,000. As you might well be aware of, the invoice value for this gun is around Rs 8000/-, so no need for such troublesome nuisance!

Right from the word go, they will do a gazillion dramas to even hand you the form, then ask you to prove that you're not going to use to kill their sorry ar*e or rob a bank... They will also ask you submit an affidavit to that effect, then ask you to prove you have not lied therein..! (pardon my French, I've had to tolerate this nonsense over the last few days while restraining myself from killing several dozen Tax-walas with my bare hands... :evil: :roll: :lol: )
What is even worse, Form 39 has a counterfoil which goes to the income tax deptt, besides (ideally) provision for a CTO (Central Tax Officer) to personally go & verify your address, ID, PAN Card, Bank Account Details & any other documents that the issuing officer (usually Asst. Tax Commissioner) might ask for to satisfy his distorted bureaucratic fantasies... So apart from your usual stuff you will have a BANDOOK-purchase showing up on your ITR... If it isn't a sarkari/police-wala nightmare in India..... ROTFL
GNV wrote:Senior and experienced shooters please advise me at what range shall I zero my scope for the pellet to cross the sight line first time.( for a 0.22" pellet travelling at 600 fps.).
GNV
GNV Garu did you strip your gun yet??! Am anxiously awaiting your next technical update! :D
Hi,
I think you can ask Col A S Puri whose number is 9356156466 for type of gun you may need and discuss courier method with him. At present he has almost all varieties with him. I personally feel black with dovetail has impressive look. Regarding flash suppressor new model they have made it so to use cork if anyone likes to use it for fun sometimes by punjabis, otherwise it is same AG with good aim and power.As I could compare all models at the showroom I think I have purchased the best.Regards

moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by moulindu » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:40 am

WOW GNV Sir, thats one of the most descriptive, elaborate, informative reviews i have came across in this forum (y). Really impressed by the grouping, both the gun & shooter are at sync. Looking forward for the next episodes.
kshitij wrote:I would say zero it at 10yards. That way your first zero will the 10yards and second zero will be at 20yards. Also between 7 to 10 yards will be within one mil dot holdover and 20 to 25 yards will too only be within mil dot holdover. Distance between 10 to 20yards will be less than half mil dot hold under. Maximum range using holdovers should be about 35yards which is a fairly decent ranbe for springers. This is what i used with my precihole.
cheers.
Kshitij is correct, it depends on your far zero & killzone, though I am no expert but i follow this procedure, for instance my ihp in 0.22 gives 590 fps with 14.3 grns, so i might zero for
1) for 10yds near zero my far zero will be 33yds with 0.8 inch of max deviation from zero(kill zone) for inbetween distances
2) for 9yds near zero my far zero will be 36yds with 1.1 inch of max deviation from zero(kill zone) for inbetween distances
3) for 8yds near zero my far zero will be 40yds with 1.6 inch of max deviation from zero(kill zone) for inbetween distances
It depends upon your preference of how far you want to shoot with your zero & with least deviation from zero mark, you can calculate it from CHAIRGUN software.
Regards Moulindu

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:38 am

Thank You kshitij.
Thank You Moulindu. I did not know about the chairgun software. Downloaded it.

GNV