AK 500 Agni - My first Post

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
mthayeb
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

AK 500 Agni - My first Post

Post by mthayeb » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:48 am

Hello All, I am new here, but not new to air guns. I have been using them since from my 10th standard on-wards (well not always, there was years of gap) . Now my age is 42 so you can guess. The reason for this post, recently i started to focus more on air rifle shooting and even started visiting my local air rifle club in kochi for practice.

I own two type of airguns 1) Precihole NX100 club elite .177 Cal 2) AK 500 Agni .22 Cal

I use Precihole NX100 for target shooting practice.. as many of you know already, it is probably the best Indian air rifle for target shooting practice.

Now back to the subject of this post, AK 500. I bought this gun from a dealer in Trichur Kerala. Paid around INR 8000. (later found out that he charged me TOO much costly since Kovibazaar.com is selling it WAY WAY cheaper around 5700 INR, i feels like so insulted now :( Regardless, This rifle is good. it looks good, it fires good. The gun is little bit heavier when compared to national rifles. AK 500 has a supporting lever underneath the barrel, though there is no use of it, it gives a nice look to the exterior view of the gun. I have used the gun in its original condition to fire around 200 pellets, then i contacted the same vendor to upgrade the machine. I was informed that there are two options to upgrade, either use the Indian made Gsmith Spring (cost INR 1000) or use the Daina Spring (cost INR 3500) . I chose for G Smith spring, because i have seen their pellets around and they do have some quality (BTW, precihole pellets are made by G Smith).

Rifle was upgraded to G Smith spring in 2 hours of time, and i took it back to my private shooting range at home. As usual i wanted to experience the first shot after upgrade and immediately cocked to load the pellet ( G Smith .22 Steel head). Maaaan it is heavy, it is really heavy. The cocking effort is now 20-22 KG.!!!!!!! Fired coupled of shots in my shooting range (made of material like clay, paper and other domestic waste like old shoes and school bags - recycling). Then i took the rifle to my wife's place wanted to try more there. tried firing at the backyard, on the wall of independent storage unit in the compound. prepared the target with coconut wood pieces and thermocol.. fired almost 20 shots from 10 mtrs distance(now my arm shoulder muscles started paining like hell, because of the heavy cocking weight, and i don't workout in gyms etc..) . My grouping was not impressive, only 12 shots were grouped among the 20. But, while checking the target, i was shocked to see the concrete wall had holes in it, all shots penetrated thru the coconut tree wood. Among the three groups, those holes where big and deep. Maan the upgrade is a killer !

Took the gun back to my home at kochi, decided to extend the experiment. this time decided to do the official way. i got a piece of 1 inch plywood, fired at the wood from 5 meters distance, i could see the pellet almost covered the 1 inch wood and went half way through the other side, not completely out (this time i used G smith high speed with pointed nose since 'steelhead' is meant to penetrate and stop). For more experiment, i took a 45 degree shot on the same material, bhooom! the pellet went thru the wood.. 100% pass thru the 1 inch wood.. I am unable to test anything beyond 10 mtrs, because my neighborhood is densely populated, and i heard my residence community has some restrictions on using such weapons. But i can assure the AK 500 AGNI with an upgraded spring and tuning is a monster, it can make some serious damage.

That being said, There is no real use of upgrading your air rifle in India, you cant hunt other than rats and crows. I usually poison them , have no patience to wait and shoot :). So technically speaking, upgrading is a waste of money, but somewhere around we get a satisfaction of toying with our guns, thats all. So upgrade your gun in india if you want to simply waste your money, but have the joy of having a powerful air rifle (illegally ?)

Note : I have ordered SDB 2000 air rifle from Kolkata (yes i aam testing new indian air rifles), it is getting delivered in next 7 days, I will upgrade the rifle with G smith or Diana spring. Why ? I don't know, I think i should spend that money :). Is there going to be any use of upgrading my gun ? no nothing. But this time, with SDB 2000, i will try to fine tune rifle for accuracy (with power).

Regards

Thayeb

For Advertising mail webmaster
Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Re: AK 500 Agni - My first Post

Post by Basu » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:33 am

Dear mthayeb,
Please remember a monster spring does not increase power always or it may reduce it as well.
SDB2000 comes with advanced Diana ball bearing trigger , unless you know the trigger setting, it is not adviced to open which may cause a mess.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

mthayeb
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mthayeb » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:41 pm

Hello Basu,

Reg, spring upgrade. I read the same opinion from this forum earlier. But i am confused here. Since my spring upgrade make more damage at my targets (than the original , Earlier with the its initial condition i was not able to penetrate a 1" plywood completely. i think thats power, I meant that what i know by power. Are you saying performance will gradually decrease, and down the road spring goes weak.. please explain.

Reg, SDB2000 from your earlier post only i read it has diana trigger system. If at all i am upgrading the system, it will be done by a technician. BTW, i dont do any tuning with gun other than periodical lubrication.

Regards

Mthayeb

mthayeb
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mthayeb » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:39 pm

Dear Ganesh,

I cant PM anyone, I am new here, and the PM facility open only for senior participants i guess.

Anyways, regarding accuracy on AK Agni after spring change, yes you are correct. Accuracy changed a lot due to high velocity change on piston. I had to learn it the gun's way. After knowing that accuracy changed i started with a 5 yards shooting test. adjusted the sights little bit (only 1 or 2 clicks not more), then changed shooting to 7 yards, then to 10 yards.. finally 15 yards. At 15 yards i got 2 groups (that was 2 different holding positions i tried to see if i hit 10). grouping was good though. after adjustment it was 0.30" on 5 shots each.

sathya.sniper
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sathya.sniper » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:31 pm

Hello
I am Sathya, From Tamilnadu. I am not so much experienced in shooting just a few years
I am also a proud owner of some air rifle mainly AK AGNI 500 .22 cal :cheers:
An excellent air rifle in the wide range of indian made air rifles. I have my rifle tuned by myself not a fine/Pro tuning but a moderate tuning.
The reason for tuning was discussed earlier, My cause were to hit closer/smaller group or tiny targets at long ranges,
I am damn sure that the rifle can hit small targets (bottle caps) 6 out of 10 at 50 Yards
From my personal experience Ak Agni 500 .22 cal (may be the piece i have :stupid: ) is much accurate
It even competes with the NX series of PH which my frnds have.
My rifle likes Precipell very well next is Gsmith Flat Heads
I have added my rifle pic below. would like to see the pics of your rifle also.
And please dont forget to update a review post of your new rifle SDB 2000 mainly the trigger

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:54 am

It is 70% shooter and 30% gun....that delivers the accuracy.
Needless to mention , sathya....you are being gifted by eyes and hands.
If a newbie expects your performance....may develop frustration anyday.

Basu

sumanngon
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sumanngon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:36 pm

I dony think you can shoot crows! LOL.

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:24 am

Basu wrote:Dear mthayeb,
Please remember a monster spring does not increase power always or it may reduce it as well.
SDB2000 comes with advanced Diana ball bearing trigger , unless you know the trigger setting, it is not adviced to open which may cause a mess.

Basu
Are you sure that SDB 2000 comes with Diana Type Trigger? From what I can see from the specifications given on kovibazar.com it seems it comes with Ball type barrel locking system similar to Diana. Nothing about the trigger mechanism was mentioned. Also I don't know anything about ball bearing triggers. I don't understand where would ball bearings fit in a trigger unit ?. Thank You,

Regards'
GNV

sathya.sniper
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sathya.sniper » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:40 am

there are ball bearing trigger mechanism in Diana air rifles, Older versions the sear is caught with 3 ball bearings in the trigger unit.
I have opened up some rifles to repair them. I have seen it in Diana model 27

But not sure if it is implemented in SDB 2000

mthayeb
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mthayeb » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:06 am

sumanngon wrote:I dony think you can shoot crows! LOL.
I did. There was one attacking me always when i walk into my backyard.. Strange thing it was attacking me only!! Itook revenge on him :)

Regards

mthayeb
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mthayeb » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:09 am

GNV wrote:
Basu wrote:Dear mthayeb,

Basu
Are you sure that SDB 2000 comes with Diana Type Trigger? From what I can see from the specifications given on kovibazar.com it seems it comes with Ball type barrel locking system similar to Diana. Nothing about the trigger mechanism was mentioned. Also I don't know anything about ball bearing triggers. I don't understand where would ball bearings fit in a trigger unit ?. Thank You,

Regards'
GNV
I called up the factory owner before ordering. He said SDB 2000 is equipped with Diana type Trigger system, also the dealer mentioned this rifle is a unique model.

Mthayeb

mthayeb
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mthayeb » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:19 am

Hello Sathya.sniper, Nice to know you. Yes, i have seen your rifle pictures earlier, i think you have a video on youtube as well, rite ? Matter of fact, after i bought this gun, searched on internet about it, and only your posts and video was available there. I also met couple of small game hunters in trichur, they do have the same gun and their feed-back was good.

The reason i didnt post any pic, bcase there are enough pics by you on net.. My gun exactly the same, but without a scope. Well, actually i have an excellent scope 2.5~10x40 with laser pointer. But i dont have the 21mm mount guide so i am waiting the item to arrive, I didnt pay attention that the gun had only 11mm rail guide.

I will post the picture of SDB 2000 as it arrives. I thought it would come fast, but unfortunately the dealer in kolkata sent by normal india post (to save cost :!). I came to know this only after the despatch ! india post is slow like a snail, so need to wait..

Regards

Mthayeb

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:24 am

Thank You Sathya. I don't know about them. I shall google and see if I could find their diagrams. I once owned a DIANA Model-45 complete with a silencer in the 90s which was stolen from my farm house. Even though I did the complete Re-lubricating of the gun and maintenance jobs myself I never dared to disassemble the trigger unit to its components parts because in those pre- internet days it was impossible to easily get the cross-sectional drawings. I used to remove the trigger unit as a whole and fit it back again in place after cleaning it with kerosene and spraying some dry slide spray lubricant on the internals. Not the proper way but my knowledge was limited in those days compared to now. I still have a DIANA MODEL-25 which was my first air gun given to me when I was 10 yrs old in 1970 and with which I learned shooting. But it is a basic model with a direct sear type trigger. It didn't even have a windage adjustment on its rear sight but it was not really necessary because the fore and rear sights were aligned so perfectly that it was not at all needed.
Anyway it seems if such trigger units are there then this SDB 2000 might have one such copy because the it is priced at some 9.000/- rupees. But no details were given in the specifications. But the gun looks damn good in the photo.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:01 am

SDB2000 has Diana type ball bearing trigger....
I would request sathya to post a pictorial description of the ball bearing mechanism.
Pratik mahale has done the same in case of Precihole trigger unit.

Basu

Almeida.ken
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Almeida.ken » Fri May 15, 2015 8:25 am

Hello guys, m a newbie to indiansforguns.
I want to buy an air rifle. And I've zeroed at 1) IHP 35, 2) ak agni. 3) precihole sx 100. 4) GI Kolkata model 45. All in .22
I have a question for senior air gunners from our group
1) Are Indian made air rifles capable to shoot above 800 fps in .22 caliber? If yes then which one and if no then , what is an alternative to achieve such velocities without Dieseling air rifle?
Thanks .