Airgun import experiences - via post/ courier route

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Airgun import experiences - via post/ courier route

Post by supershaji » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:13 pm

Gulrez wrote:I have imported benjamin NP Trail XP 1500 from pyramidair, the gun is lying in custom from last 10 days, submitted all required documents but still FEDEX is simply saying it is still to get clear from custom...no idea what should my next step.
Are Bangalore customs at it again?
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

For Advertising mail webmaster
Gulrez
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Gulrez » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:03 am

its bangalore airport...well it will be very early to say that because customs has not came up yet with any verdict for delay...i have planed to wait and watch for another couple of days then will approach them to know the reason.

nevil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nevil » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:40 pm

Hi I have read here a number of times that besides the Rifle Club membership a letter is required from the club I went to the NRAI sight but they do not have any such letter for air guns though they do issue a letter for the import of fire arms would appreciate if some of the experienced members would clarify.
regards
N

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:36 pm

The letter form NRAI will merely state that you are a current member with your name address and membership number on it on the NRAI letterhead and you'll have to pay them approximately Rs.160 ( as best as I can remember) to be able to get it. You will have to write to them and will have to send them the DD for that amount. Its best to call and talk to some one to get the amount correctly. It may take upto a month or more to get it depending on how busy they are.

My opinion is that this requirement of the Customs is to make sure that no fraud takes place by using fake membership cards and to make sure of the expiry date as mentioned on the card.
Regards,
Anand

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:03 am

Keep us posted.

I trust Bangalore customs issues have been solved and all state club members' consignments are being cleared promptly too now, yes?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:11 pm

Guys,

have placed an order with Pyramid Air for a Co2 pistol, 8 cans of BBs, 4 pellgun oil tubes and the 10 for 10 test. They refused to ship Co2 cans. The pistol is out of stock and will be available only after 20 April. I have made my payment and they have sent the invoice.

I am life member of one of the oldest rifle clubs in India and have letter from my club in Kolkata stating that I have participated at state and national levels. Tell me guys do I really need a letter from NRAI ?

This is my first venture into importing an air gun (having stuck to powder burners all my life) and I am a little excited.

Cheers

TC

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:10 pm

*bump*
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:06 pm

Hello guys.

For the one's who brought about the change in the Bangalore customs AR import issue, I have a AR at Bangalore customs now, which is awaiting my documents to be couriered to FedEx in order for them to clear it.

FedEx has asked for the following:

1.       National Rifle Association Membership card (please courier gazetted officer attested copy to below address ).
2.       Letter from Rifle Club.
3.       Product Catalogue

Please NOTE: I have a LOCAL (State) RIFLE CLUB Membership, which has an NRAI affiliated (and the affiliation is mentioned on the club's letter head).

What other documents shall I include with my documents in order to have a smooth custom clearance, at the same time, availing my exemption as a State Rifle Club Member (any recent supporting documents)?

Thanks in advance.
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

nevil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nevil » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:26 pm

Thanks Anand for the information.
Cant they can ask for another photo ID as address proof. :roll:
N

Gulrez
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Gulrez » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:23 am

guys...I got my gun today. when I asked fedex for the reason of delay they said, there was some internal information to custom about some suspicious consignment. hence they are taking very close verification for each and every international consignment...I found the reason very obvious in this election environment....so there is no problem at customs in bangalore as of now....cheers
I bought benjamin train np xl

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:01 am

Congratulations on your "ultra magnum" Gulrez!

I hear its a fantastic AR.

Shoot safe!

Thanks for sharing the good news of custom clearance not being a hassle anymore (Thank God!).
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

Gulrez
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Gulrez » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:55 pm

thanks shaji
I have imported 3 rifles in last 1 year and all my orders reached to me very safely. and yes all three rifles were with unmounted scope on same and also I have bought 5-6 boxes of pellets everytime. so I hope getting marauder should not have any problem. yesteday I took my gun to field target. in my first 10 shots I was really worried about the accuracy of my gun, I was not able to hit 1" circle from even 10 feet. then I clean the barrel and made some adjustment on scope and the result was I got group of appx 3" from the distance 250 feets. I was amazed by the power and accuracy of this gun..I am finally satisfied of my decision for this gun. I have heard about marauder a lot..do share your experience after getting it... I too will love to import one.....cheers

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:35 pm

Thanks for the confirmation Gulrez.

Which other ARs did you get?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

Lucky Luke
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Lucky Luke » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:53 pm

I've noticed that most of the recent posts here refer to importing by Courier and would like to share a few pointers for those using the Postal route. I'd imported a gun through Post and had to deal with the FPO ( Mumabi ) at Ballard Estates. I did compose a ' ball by ball ' experience but realised that it was way too long and also was bit of a rant.

So here are a few pointers based on my experience -

The FPO shall clear your gun only if you make a personal visit. ( I did get to see close to 70 airguns awaiting the visit of the importers )

The Import Duty needs to be paid totalling to 10.5%. The term ' free to import ' doesn't necessarily mean Duty Free.

And going by the Asst. Commissioners statement - Post and Courier are 2 different entities and have different rules. So even if you have managed to get it free through Fedex it doesn't cut much ice at the FPO.

PS : If anyone would like to read the total ' ball by ball ' rant please do not hesitate to ask. :D
Last edited by Lucky Luke on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:34 pm

Hi!

So, how about the highlights?

Costs for Post route in comparison to Courier?

Time?

Issues during clearance if any?

Would love to hear.
chitty-vitty, bang-shang