Airgun import experiences - via personal baggage route

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:29 am

Yes, I think it is a Leica.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Importing an Air-rifle & Scope from UK

Post by Sujay » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:33 am

Well done Abhijeet. Congrats for the Air Arms.

Didn't you bring any pellets ?
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:12 am

Hi Abhijeet

Hearty congratulations!

I will be passing through london on the 3rd of july and hope to pick up a HW45 in .177. Please could you give me some information on how to contact the "Dangerous Goods Department" at Heathrow? A phone number would be of great help.

Did you carry back any pellets with you? Is it ok to do so as long as gun and pellets are in your check in baggage?

Were you asked any questions on landing in India by the security personnel at the baggage scan counter? Any tips will be appreciated.

Cheers
GG

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:30 am

Sujay";p="22150 wrote: Well done Abhijeet. Congrats for the Air Arms.

Didn't you bring any pellets ?
Hi Sujay,

I got 2.5 tins of H&N Field Target Trophy and 1 tin each of Bisley Premier, Air Arms Field Hunter & Eley Wasp.

I've also got some more H&N FTT & JSB Exacts on order with BAR and my wife will be getting those back with her next month... Rusty warned me before hand NOT to use ANY Indian made pellets with this gun! ;)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:42 am

GasramGandu";p="22188 wrote: Hi Abhijeet

Hearty congratulations!

I will be passing through london on the 3rd of july and hope to pick up a HW45 in .177. Please could you give me some information on how to contact the "Dangerous Goods Department" at Heathrow? A phone number would be of great help.

Did you carry back any pellets with you? Is it ok to do so as long as gun and pellets are in your check in baggage?

Were you asked any questions on landing in India by the security personnel at the baggage scan counter? Any tips will be appreciated.

Cheers
GG
Hi Gasram,

I contacted the Dangerous goods dept. of the airline in question - Virgin Atlantic. Sent them an enquiry and also got their number off their website. They responded to my e-mail after 2-3 working days or so but post that the responses were prompt, often arriving within hours of my mails.

While checking in the baggage there were no questions asked beyond if I had packed my own handbag and if it had anything of consequence. Guess that was more to do with avoiding run ins with airport security than anything else.

I did in fact ask about pellets as well. Their response was quite specific - airguns are treated as firearms and pellets are treated as ammunition! Therefore both MUST be checked in and CANNOT be carried on board in your hand baggage.

I was asked NO questions at all on landing in Delhi and this was not even a very busy time at the airport with just one flight's baggage coming out on the carousel...

Anyhow, even if you are stopped at Delhi and asked to open your bags - carrying an airgun & pellets (qty. upto 2,000 nos) back with you is perfectly OK. So should not be a problem. Do make sure you retain your bill of purchase to prove the value of goods AND the original manual etc. to prove that it is INDEED an airgun that you have in your bags.

HTH :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:00 pm

Thanks Abhijeet, your info was really helpful. Will let everyone know how it goes :wink:

Cheers
GG

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:07 pm

Congrats Abhijeet.The pleasure was all mine.

Anyone wishing to come to UK and get hold of a nice pellet pushing contraption, please drop a line ahead and it shall be a pleasure to find one for you and also meet up.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:07 pm

Aha, found em, here goes:

sighter
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:50 pm

Is this the same range near near South Extn:

Nice Pics :)

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:04 pm

Abhijeet et al, please keep a hold of the underlever or sidelever or barrel whilst loading an air-rifle or air-pistol.

Do not depend on the anti-beartrap mechanism provided because they do fail. Will post pics of a Diana / RWS 48 where the anti-beartrap mechanism only managed to stop the piston from chopping off a yound lad's thumb on the very last tooth.

Thanks for the pics, Asif. That's a nice little range.

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:28 pm

Quick update - at least for the time being it would not be advisable for anyone to think of carrying airguns through Heathrow airport.

My wife had a real rough time - she was carrying an air-pistol in her check in luggage and in the end she had to leave it behind! :evil:

So until things settle down a bit in the UK...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:25 pm

was half expecting/dreading it since last week. every time i rejoice in nirvana, it just takes a sod or two to bring me down to terra firma. maybe things will settle by november, unless mr laden's flock gets another bright idea.

my main worry, truthfully, at the moment is trying to get a jerycan of petrol for a thisty lawnmower. the savannah in my backyard needs sorting before the summer parties begin, and i can't even flash a card and a smile saying i'm a nhs doctor who neds to go to work pronto .

twiddling fingers till then

anand
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:42 pm

That's a rather telling post, Anand. Especially the second para.

I know it's easier said than done but don't get too self-concious because there is no stopping the numpties...for the time being atleast.

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:09 pm

Anand, am sure things will settle down by November... meanwhile look at the bight side - at least you now have a valid excuse for not mowing the lawn... ;)

Dev, 2 tins of JSB's made it through... since we were going to split the JSB's between us, guess that means one has your name on it... ;) Sorry for the paltry pickings, but even these ones seem to have come through by accident as they were in the other bag... security had the other tins unpacked along with the pistol... "no ammunition allowed"! :evil:

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:47 pm

Hey,

No worries boss. I have about a tin of shri bana's premiers. So even a tin shall be enough. Its great to have a tin of JSBs. I have found that the Qb is quite promiscuous and enjoys every pellet she meets.

Thanks a ton,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.