DIana Model 27

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: DIana Model 27

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:22 pm

well I clean the bore probably once every week.The rifle recieves a rubdown with a lightly oiled cloth everyday so if i find any particles i run a strip of lightly oiled cloth through and follow up with a dry cloth.Is this procedure satisfactory?
Everyone has their own preferences.

I clean the bore on my airguns and rimfire only when the groups begin to open up and that can take well over 1000 shots depending on the ammo being used. Airguns and rimfires actually benefit from a bit of lead deposit in the bore - accuracy wise.

That's a good habit you have of wiping your rifle down with oil everyday. However, you need not do it so often. Once a month or everytime after you have touched the metal will suffice. An oiled cloth is the way to go. Never spray directly.

You don't say whether you use a pull through or a rod. Whether it is from breech to muzzle or the other way around.

I prefer a pull through unless a real scrub is called for. Always pull from breech to muzzle and ensure that the pull through or rod does not scrape against the crown. A damaged crown will result in inaccuracy.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: It just occured to me that you live in Chennai and not a drier clime. In that case, I suggest you wipe the metal down once a week. How are you storing the rifle?

For Advertising mail webmaster
M.G. 42
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by M.G. 42 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:36 pm

I store the rifle on a table resting horizontally on a blanket and wrapped in a soft oil cloth.I normally feed the cloth wrapped carefully around a wire from the breech.I then withdraw the wire.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:37 pm

How do i check what fps i am getting from my rifle??on a website for airsoft buffs i saw an article which said if the BB is able to penentrate through a coke can(empty) then it should bedoing upto 350 fps.Is there anything similar for air rifles??
You will need to buy a chrono to measure the velocity. The cheapest one available today is either a Chrony F1 or a cb-625.

I haven't done the coke can test but from what you describe, your rifle is probably struggling to do 300 ft./sec.. Before chronos became common, the telephone directory penetration test was a favourite but it still did not tell you the muzzle velocity.

I haven't suggested any pellets for the simple reason that airguns can be pellet fussy things and one should ideally try out a variety of pellets before settling on the most suitable one. Unfortunately, in India this is a luxury few can afford. My suggestion would be to try the lighter pellets. This rifle was never meant for magnum performances - relatively speaking ofcourse. Use it and cherish it for what it is.

Mack The Knife

M.G. 42
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by M.G. 42 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:51 pm

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/11/ ... oldie.html

check it out neat page abt the 27.deo cans r tougher than coke cans though.I reckon id still be able to hole a coke can with my rifle.Shall test it out soon.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:56 pm

M.G. 42";p="4430 wrote:I store the rifle on a table resting horizontally on a blanket and wrapped in a soft oil cloth.I normally feed the cloth wrapped carefully around a wire from the breech.I then withdraw the wire.
Don't use wire, especially uninsulated wire.

To make a simple pull through all you need is monofilament (not braid) fishing line....say 40 lbs. to 60 lbs. breaking strength. Double the line and feed the two free ends from breech to muzzle, place your patch (old cotton t-shirts are excellent for making patches) in the loop and pull whilst ensuring that the line is centered in the bore and not touching the edges of the crown. The patch should be a tight fit but not overly tight. You could also tie the free ends to a short wooden stick, thereby making a handle.

One thing I forgot to mention and something I have seen many people neglect is that they don't oil the muzzle face. Once the crown starts rusting, it will eventually lead to inaccuracy and it will need to be re-faced/re-crowned.

My last patch is always a dry one but in case you use an oiled patch please understand that the oil can find it's way through the transfer port into the cylinder which will result in heavy dieselling, if the rifle is stored muzzle up. This will destroy the piston washer and in many cases the main-spring as well. I also hope you are aware that dry firing a spring piston airgun is a no-no.

There's something else I wanted to add but I forget at the moment.

Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:18 pm

Thanks for pointing out the inconcistency bit cause my last batch of wad cutters were pretty lousy in my Baikal. And the range guy thought I had lost it when I told him the marvellous or what the other wadcutter brand was seemed better. He obviously thought that I was sufferening from Co2 poisoning. ;-).

I was using the GSmith heavies in my .22 abomination so I didn't really care. So I guess on your now very rare air rifle is a different matter all together.

But these pellets in an okay rifle pentrate flower pots and most soup cans with a neat little perforation.

I am planning to get a few gsmith's for the air rifle now any way if things go well I'll have some Crosman Priemiers soon to play with.

By the way would a red dot be more fun for short range work? I find that the Bushnell 3X9-32 makes my toy look too serious.

Regards,

Dev

Mack The Knife Bana";p="4415 wrote: Using a heavy pellet in a spring piston air-rifle will reduce the main-springs life.

I wouldn't use a 19 grain pellet in a Venom Magalza 80k doing 21.5 ft.lbs. leave alone an ancient air-rifle that probably did no more than 8 ft.lbs.

Heavy pellets are better off in a FAC precharged pneumatic.

Besides weight, pellet fit also plays a part and I have found G.Smiths to be notoriously inconsisent. Having said that, they are still the best Indian pellets one can get today.

Mack The Knife
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

M.G. 42
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by M.G. 42 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:50 pm

What would be the variation in performance when using Blunt,Round and spearheads??

N also how n what do i use to lubricate the working parts of the rifle.

Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Crete » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:33 am

Re .22 pellets: the heavier they are the better they retain their energy shot over the same distance compared to a lighter one.

So, my 1970s Diana 27 in .22 cal. using 14-16-grains pellets gow half-way a glossy magazine (VOGUE) with 200+ pages @ 15m. :o

While, using H&N Diabolo Baracuda 21.7-grains pellets perforate the entire month's issue and then some. :D

This is not true for .177 cal. pellets, though. A 7.9-grains Crosman Copperhead from my Diana 35 goes deeper than the H&N Silver Point 11.1-grains. :roll:

Go figure.

Cheers,
Nikos

MauserTypeC
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by MauserTypeC » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:29 pm

Hello I have a pre- war Diana model 27 can anyone please guide me to what model spring I should use in it

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk