Airgun import experiences - via post/ courier route

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
vinodjk
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Airgun import experiences - via post/ courier route

Post by vinodjk » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:11 pm

karizman";p="47207 wrote:
vinodjk";p="46009 wrote:First of all, I would like to thank the kind soul who started this website. It is an invaluable resource for anything to do with guns in India. After reading airgun import experiences in this forum, I took a chance to send an airgun to my dad in Hyderabad. From reading the forums, it seemed like Mac1 airguns in California is the most reliable. I wanted to send an RWS Diana 48, but Tim doesn't carry the RWS line. The only choices I had was between the Beemans or Benjamin Sheridians. I choose a Beeman R9 0.177 and ordered it. Tim promptly shipped it via USPS priority mail. The one thing about Mac1 is that they are not really into the world of e-commerce yet. Their website is really outdated and they are really low tech. I couldn't even get an invoice e-mailed to ne, That said, they are honest and reliable folks.
I had to call Tim to get tracking information. After waiting for 3 weeks, I tried to check the status on the USPS website and the only information it had was that the gun had left Los Angeles. I gave the tracking information to my dad and he followed up with the local post office. They told him that the package was at Mumbai postal customs :shock: :!!!! My dad called up the folks in Mumbai postal customs and he was told to show up in Mumbai the next day at 11:00 AM. I advised him to take a print out of the new amendment removing duty oh 0.177 air rifles. He being a shooting enthusiast, decided to fly to Mumbai and brave the bureaucracy.
Once he showed up at the customs office, he was asked for an NRA membership, an invoice, and an NOC certificate from the police. Luckily, he is an NRA member, he had an invoice [which I managed to have faxed over after several phone calls to Tim], and an NOC certificate from the Commissioner of Police of Hyderabad. He spent 5 hours getting through the process. Finally, they said that he didn't have to pay any duty and that they would ship the gun to our Hyderabad address. It reached after 4 days. Phew!

Folks, in spite of all the laws that get passed, our bureacracy is adamant at setting up red tape to hinder progress. I wonder how any average Indian,who wants to take up shooting as a sport, can get access to precision air rifles if they have to go through this nightmare. The added expense of going to Mumbai, lodging in Mumbai, and getting all the paperwork together is beyond the reach of average Indians.
Congrats on aquiring a new airgun. Please tell me if customs people insisted on NRA membership proof & NOC from police. Because I am in doubt after reading your post. As I am about to order a .177 rifle & I am having a membership of local club.
Even the notification has nothing mentioned about NRI membership exclusively. Please answer so that many other people like me would clarify it with concerned customs authority before importing a weapon.

Thanks

Karizman

Hello Karizman,

Thanks. Customs people insisted on all these docs even though the notification does not mention anything. The notification is unfortunately very vague. Customs folks seem take liberty to put additional hurdles in front of you. They also wanted my dad to bring his arms license at which point he got pi***d off and started asking questions as to why all this documentation is needed and they are just wasting his time. Depending on which customs office/officers/peons you have to encounter, your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

Vinod.

For Advertising mail webmaster
chattron
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chattron » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:31 pm

Hello Guys finally i received my Izzy today by God's grace, blessings of Gurus and fellow IFGians. It is a truly magnificent gun and total value for money. If any fellow members want to know about my experience please feel free to ask.

Yash
A big thanks to u mate.

Take care.

striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by striker » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:17 pm

Chattron
congrates for ur new izh.
Try to post ur izh pics along with ur custums experience ,duty .

cheers
sankar
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------99.9% of the World's Gunners are 100% SAFE.Please do not ruin their reputation by being stupid or using guns in violence!!

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Import Show Cause Notice

Post by HydNawab » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:57 pm

Hi Guys

I just received a letter today from the Assistant Commissioner of Customs, Postal Appraising Section, Mumbai stating that they have received an Air Rifle in my name from Blackpool Air Rifles, UK.

The thing is that I had ordered a CO2 Air Pistol in January 2006 and I believe that it was inspected by the Customs Authorities in Mumbai on 24/04/2006.It is also believed to be an air rifle.Now they want me to send them the following:

Purpose of Import
Value Evidence
License
NOC from the Office of the Police Commissioner

They want me to send all these documents within 15 days else they will confiscate the package.

I want to know what I need to do regarding this.Do they seriously expect me to send them my license and NOC from the CP for an Air Pistol???

Is there any agent in Mumbai that can clear the item on my behalf?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ashar
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:05 pm

You orderd in 2006 ??? and now it arrived????and after 2 years of inspection they are contacting you now???
Which lic. they are asking for ??? import lic.
strange
HydNawab";p="48297 wrote: Hi Guys

I just received a letter today from the Assistant Commissioner of Customs, Postal Appraising Section, Mumbai stating that they have received an Air Rifle in my name from Blackpool Air Rifles, UK.

The think is that I had ordered one in January 2006 and I believe that it was inspected by the Customs Authorities in Mumbai on 24/04/2006 and it is believed to be an air rifle.Now they want me to send them the following:

Purpose of Import
Value Evidence
License
NOC from the Office of the Police Commissioner

They want me to send all these documents within 15 days else they will confiscate the package.

I want to know what I need to do regarding this.Do they seriously expect me to send them my license and NOC from the CP for an Air Pistol???

Is there any agent in Mumbai that can clear the item on my behalf?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ashar
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Import Show Cause Notice

Post by HydNawab » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:09 pm

Badshah

Thats right!I read the SHow Cause Notice 3-4 times before I posted the topic.I don't really know what they want.I think they might be thinking that it is a firearm or something.The strange thing is that I never heard from them earlier and all of a sudden I receive a bloody show cause notice.And that right, I ordered it in 2006 Jan.

Ashar
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Ashar u didnt received it when you ordered in 2006?? did you made the payments,and never enquired about the missing package to blackpool??/
HydNawab";p="48300 wrote: Badshah

Thats right!I read the SHow Cause Notice 3-4 times before I posted the topic.I don't really know what they want.I think they might be thinking that it is a firearm or something.The strange thing is that I never heard from them earlier and all of a sudden I receive a bloody show cause notice.And that right, I ordered it in 2006 Jan.

Ashar
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by HydNawab » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:23 pm

Badshah

I didnt receive it when I ordered it and when I enquired about it with the Royal Mail, they informed me that it has been delivered to the Mumbai Customs. I did not receive any information regarding the parcel number and I tried calling BAR but they said that they wouldnt take responsibility for International delivery to India and I had agreed to their terms earlier.

Now I have found out that it did arrive at Mumbai Customs and they have examined two years back.

So What do I do now?

Ashar

-- Al Capone

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:45 pm

Hi Nawab,

The showcause notice is normally written in a sterner form than it should be. Just get in touch with them and tell them about the time you will need to get the paper's together. After that just get the papers you require for a .177 air rifle. I think all the documents are covered in import thru courier. I am sure that you will be able to get the air rifle out. In fact if they have already deemed it an air rifle then you don't need an NOC I guess. Nothing to get hassled about just go after it systematically. And don't panic 15 days is a lot of time. :lol:

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

senthil
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by senthil » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:43 am

Hi guys,

i am facing some experience importing the Beeman P1 ordered from pyramydair arrived in new delhi via FedEx and sitting in the customs for a week. i recieved a emial yesterday after many calls here and there the e-mail says as fallow:

This is to inform you that you have imported Air Pistol 0.177 calibers which is not free to import. For such import few conditions are there same as follows :

1. said goods are imported into India by the National Rifle Association of India for the purpose of imparting training.
2. the importer , at the time of clearance of the goods produce a cert of the Assistant Commissioner of Customs from an officer not below the rank of Director in the Sports Authority of India recommending grant exemption to the said goods and indicating :
a) name & address of the importer
b) de.scription, quantity and value of the said goods
c) said goods are required for the purpose of imparting training

3. Import of specified type of ammunition may be permitted to license arms dealers subject to such conditions as may be specified from time to time.

Gurus get me some idea how to go about it. I dont have any club membership.

thanks in advance.

Senthil

striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by striker » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:54 am

Without rifle club membership it is very hard to face the white cloth officers. Any way i pray for ur victory

sankar
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------99.9% of the World's Gunners are 100% SAFE.Please do not ruin their reputation by being stupid or using guns in violence!!

ai

Post by ai » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:46 am

Even if you get a club membership now, the date would be obviously one showing you imported before getting the membership. Dont know how that would help.

Dear Ashar, What happened eventually in your case?

senthil
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by senthil » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:59 am

me too thought the same ai what other possibility i have?

ai

Post by ai » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:51 am

None that I can suggest. Despite being a member of a state shooting association, I dont import anything through the courier/post route, knowing the unpleasant situations that our oficials can create simply due to their want of better sense. On several instances, I do buy stuff available in India, even at a premium, simply because a bird in hand is better than one in the officials' bush!

I hope you get a better feedback on possibilities than this, and the situation ends up well for you.

yash3_great

Post by yash3_great » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:16 pm

Senthil, you have a PM.

Even if you get a membership which commences after the date of import, it is not an issue at all. So i would recommend you go ahead with a club membership.