Airgun import experiences - via post/ courier route

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
yash3_great

Re: Airgun import experiences - via post/ courier route

Post by yash3_great » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:08 pm

Yes Sid i think that should be the plan. Do let me know the Postal Customs phone number. If i need anything else, i will give you a holler. Please do send me your number via PM. Thanks much!

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:00 pm

the foreign post office number - google it
and my phone no. is in your inbox

Cheers

vinodjk
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vinodjk » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:34 am

First of all, I would like to thank the kind soul who started this website. It is an invaluable resource for anything to do with guns in India. After reading airgun import experiences in this forum, I took a chance to send an airgun to my dad in Hyderabad. From reading the forums, it seemed like Mac1 airguns in California is the most reliable. I wanted to send an RWS Diana 48, but Tim doesn't carry the RWS line. The only choices I had was between the Beemans or Benjamin Sheridians. I choose a Beeman R9 0.177 and ordered it. Tim promptly shipped it via USPS priority mail. The one thing about Mac1 is that they are not really into the world of e-commerce yet. Their website is really outdated and they are really low tech. I couldn't even get an invoice e-mailed to ne, That said, they are honest and reliable folks.
I had to call Tim to get tracking information. After waiting for 3 weeks, I tried to check the status on the USPS website and the only information it had was that the gun had left Los Angeles. I gave the tracking information to my dad and he followed up with the local post office. They told him that the package was at Mumbai postal customs :shock: :!!!! My dad called up the folks in Mumbai postal customs and he was told to show up in Mumbai the next day at 11:00 AM. I advised him to take a print out of the new amendment removing duty oh 0.177 air rifles. He being a shooting enthusiast, decided to fly to Mumbai and brave the bureaucracy.
Once he showed up at the customs office, he was asked for an NRA membership, an invoice, and an NOC certificate from the police. Luckily, he is an NRA member, he had an invoice [which I managed to have faxed over after several phone calls to Tim], and an NOC certificate from the Commissioner of Police of Hyderabad. He spent 5 hours getting through the process. Finally, they said that he didn't have to pay any duty and that they would ship the gun to our Hyderabad address. It reached after 4 days. Phew!

Folks, in spite of all the laws that get passed, our bureacracy is adamant at setting up red tape to hinder progress. I wonder how any average Indian,who wants to take up shooting as a sport, can get access to precision air rifles if they have to go through this nightmare. The added expense of going to Mumbai, lodging in Mumbai, and getting all the paperwork together is beyond the reach of average Indians.

GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:32 am

Vinod, congrats on the R9, it's nice gun.

Going to Mumbai is only required if you do not have a Sub Foreign post office in your city ex: Hyderabad

Cheers
GG

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:06 am

Hyderabad doesnt have a foreign post office, so that is a problem but apart from that i'd say the whole thing went pretty smooth. (i had to waste two days at the postal office even after the people there did every in their power to hurry thing up :D)

And of course say my congrats to your dad

Cheers
Siddharth

yash3_great

Post by yash3_great » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:57 pm

Been in touch with the Foreign Post Office last week and today they told me that the parcel has been cleared by Customs and it will be dispatched to my address today. Dont want to believe that it went so smooth. Will keep fingers crossed till i get to hold it :o

On second note, they relalized it has been detained. Need to pay them a visit. :(

Customs guys at work again! They wont accept the computer generated invoice. And they are not ready to believe the price of the pistol, started showing me Steyr and FWB pistol prices and said you are claiming too low a price. Need to ask Tim to send me a proper invoice eh....

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:19 pm

The 'proper invoice' will in most probablity be stuck to the outside of the box in a clear plastic bag/envelope.

Even though the invoice is prominently displayed, more often than not they will claim (over the phone) that they cannot see it.

This is what it would look like.

If you have a laptop with a wireless connection take it to the customs office and show them the price of the air-pistol on the website or alternatively take a print out.

vinodjk
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vinodjk » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:34 am

Hi all,

Anyone import any airgun from Pyramydair [www.pyramydair.com] recently? I checked with them and they use Fedex to ship to Hyderabad. Any experiences with Fedex? Any info would be appreciated. I want to send a Diana 350 Magnum.

Thanks,
Vinod.

yash3_great

Post by yash3_great » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:35 pm

Tim has sent a soft copy of the invoice as well as a hard one. He also confirmed there is one stuck to the parcel.
Waiting for the club membership to come through and then....

yash3_great

Post by yash3_great » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:15 pm

Free at last, after almost a day spent at the Postal Customs. The Customs people were a breeze to deal with but the Postal people started acting pricey saying that they cannot deliver the parcel then and there and it would have to be delivered to my home only. I guess they did not want me sitting around them all day and finally after hearing lots of "please" gave way and released it. Pics to follow.....

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:22 pm

So did you pay any Duty yash?

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

yash3_great

Post by yash3_great » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Yes, roughly 15% as CVD.

karizman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by karizman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:29 pm

vinodjk";p="46009 wrote:First of all, I would like to thank the kind soul who started this website. It is an invaluable resource for anything to do with guns in India. After reading airgun import experiences in this forum, I took a chance to send an airgun to my dad in Hyderabad. From reading the forums, it seemed like Mac1 airguns in California is the most reliable. I wanted to send an RWS Diana 48, but Tim doesn't carry the RWS line. The only choices I had was between the Beemans or Benjamin Sheridians. I choose a Beeman R9 0.177 and ordered it. Tim promptly shipped it via USPS priority mail. The one thing about Mac1 is that they are not really into the world of e-commerce yet. Their website is really outdated and they are really low tech. I couldn't even get an invoice e-mailed to ne, That said, they are honest and reliable folks.
I had to call Tim to get tracking information. After waiting for 3 weeks, I tried to check the status on the USPS website and the only information it had was that the gun had left Los Angeles. I gave the tracking information to my dad and he followed up with the local post office. They told him that the package was at Mumbai postal customs :shock: :!!!! My dad called up the folks in Mumbai postal customs and he was told to show up in Mumbai the next day at 11:00 AM. I advised him to take a print out of the new amendment removing duty oh 0.177 air rifles. He being a shooting enthusiast, decided to fly to Mumbai and brave the bureaucracy.
Once he showed up at the customs office, he was asked for an NRA membership, an invoice, and an NOC certificate from the police. Luckily, he is an NRA member, he had an invoice [which I managed to have faxed over after several phone calls to Tim], and an NOC certificate from the Commissioner of Police of Hyderabad. He spent 5 hours getting through the process. Finally, they said that he didn't have to pay any duty and that they would ship the gun to our Hyderabad address. It reached after 4 days. Phew!

Folks, in spite of all the laws that get passed, our bureacracy is adamant at setting up red tape to hinder progress. I wonder how any average Indian,who wants to take up shooting as a sport, can get access to precision air rifles if they have to go through this nightmare. The added expense of going to Mumbai, lodging in Mumbai, and getting all the paperwork together is beyond the reach of average Indians.
Congrats on aquiring a new airgun. Please tell me if customs people insisted on NRA membership proof & NOC from police. Because I am in doubt after reading your post. As I am about to order a .177 rifle & I am having a membership of local club.
Even the notification has nothing mentioned about NRI membership exclusively. Please answer so that many other people like me would clarify it with concerned customs authority before importing a weapon.

Thanks

Karizman

yash3_great

Post by yash3_great » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:25 pm

Here is a pic:

Like the HW40, it is constructed of modern polymer and metal materials. The outer body/frame of the gun is constructed of fibre-reinforced polymer. Polymer is a very strong synthetic material. The inner parts of the air pistol are all made of metals. Metal parts would include: barrel, safety, trigger, barrel latch, compression chamber, transfer port, piston and rod, pivot points and pins.
Last edited by yash3_great on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chattron
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chattron » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:00 pm

Hey Guys I need some support.Feeling a lot depressed n degraded courtesy of some idiotic customs people in postal section.I managed to find an Izzy after almost a year of searching around and finally when it arrives at customs they want me to get an NOC from police commissioner.I got all the more pissed off when one of our members mentioned that his air pistol was released without NOC :evil:. The one thing I admire about these morons is their knowledge.One of them referred to the Izzy as firearm the other as revolver :shock: .There are a few Gems among this garbage ,like an Additional Commissioner who was a thorough gentleman but unfortunately he could not do anything as he was not in charge of that department.Talked to some CHA who was asking for 10k ! Imagine paying this much charges for air pistol costing 15k. Anyways found a small glimmer of hope thanks to Yash. Hoping for all Gurus n member's blessings.
Take Care.