Details Required.

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Details Required.

Post by badshah0522 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:24 pm

What is the exact Term for this device?
Experts Please put some light over this Picture.

Thanks
badshah

For Advertising mail webmaster
HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:49 pm

Its a gun/sighting system combo where you can shoot around corners without breaking cover. Google for "Corner Shot". There's even a video on youtube.

http://soundingcircle.com/newslog2.php/ ... 000552.htm
http://www.army-technology.com/contract ... rner_shot/
http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/ ... r_Shot.htm

Video:

mehulkamdar

Re: Details Required.

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:54 pm

Badshah,

At the close of WW-2 the Nazis built the Sturmgewehr 44 with what they called a Krummlauf attachment over the barrel to help them shoot around corners in the street by street fighting with the Russians who were kicking their collective butts. They found that the longer 7.92x57 round did not work very well in a curved barrel and developed the short 7.92x33 round on which Kalashnikov later based the Soviet 7.62x39 round.

The original Krummlaufs did not work well at all and neither, as far as I know, have any subsequent versions. The ISraelis introduced a variation on the theme attaching a small swiveling screen and a camera to some of their Tavor rifles to avoid a curved barrel and consequent accuracy problems and that seems to be the only product of it's kind in service.

On the whole this is a fascinating series of experiments and someday there may be a version that works satisfactorily, I guess.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:37 pm

There is a program on Discovery channel “Future Weapons”. Few days ago they were showing a gun of this kind. It was developed by a retired Israeli commander and its worked quite well as per them. They had some kind of mechanism where they can convert any gun to shoot around corners. They fired everything from assault to shotgun with that system. Looked like quite useful gun for urban warfare.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:50 pm

Badshah-
very ROBOCOP-ish!
simple idea to start with-that looks like a glock in the second snap-two different , connected platforms and voila, you dont have to worry about how to make the bullet take the curve and work efficiently.
Simple, yet amazing comcept.
Wonder how the lock time is affected? what kind of servo/camming system is in use and more importantly, how long will the battery last?
While this is for very special applications, the nightmare of a rapid reload is not yet a part of the design teams KRA ...
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:03 am

Thanks to everyone for the Info..Is it availble in the market for civilian?(i guess not)I ll check the link for more info.
badshah
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:45 am

Ya know, I think the reason why they've been experimenting for the last half century with these gizmos is the fact is that they never seem to work!

Even if you can shoot around a corner, fighting around a corner against thinking and moving objects are a different story.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:10 am

Heard somewhere that the process of going through a curve also breaks up the bullet.Not very good for anti terrorist operations as this would result in hostages also being hit.

Another thing,remember hearing on Discovery that the device the Germans had developed was basically to allow the crews of a tank destroyer that they had produced but which lacked a machine gun,to hose Soviet infantry.The Soviets had quickly realised that the lack of a machine gun meant that the crew of the tank destroyer could do little against them.They would clamber on to the vehicle and plant explosives and blow it up.The device was to enable the crew of the tank destroyer to tackle this.So they would pop the bent barrel form the turret (or what ever)and while remaining in the the safety of the vehicles armor,shoot Soviet infantry men on the vehicle.

penpusher