Requirement of Fair price regulation on IFG sale threads.

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Requirement of Fair price regulation on IFG sale threads.

Post by nagarifle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:43 pm

it is going to be very hard to control prices etc. now i do sell on the forum and do have a high price tag, but not as high as some, i believe in making a profit say of 100% but not at 300%.

i would like to share the price of a BB airpistol, i think it was the bliank or such common one, which cost no more then INR1200.

M24 and i were in this dealers shop in Delhi few weeks ago and the dealer was quoting the price as INR 38K for it to one customer, and in the same shop co2 12gms cart was for INR 260 per one. now to me that is a rip off.

i do agree that a common standard should be set on voluntary bases, as one can not enforce prices regulations.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:07 pm

My own humble take on the above issue is as follows:

1) The cause for ridiculous prices of many items is due to govt. introduced market imperfections: import ban on guns, import restrictions on ammo, restrictions on private manufacture, inordinate entry and exit barriers for retail trade in arms & ammo, unfair restrictions on type & quantity of arms & ammo a retailer may possess thereby limiting his ability to engage in legitimate trade, unfair restrictions and arbitrary licensing norms (three gun limit, ammo limit, etc.), restriction on import of air-rifles and pellets, restrictions on import of arms accessories like scopes, etc. etc.

So lets first place the blame for ridiculously high prices squarely at the real culprit's door, shall we?

2) Expecting someone to sell you something at a price lower than he can possibly realise in the open market is simply not realistic. Loftier ideals than this have failed due to their not having taken into account human nature and the innate human desire to maximise his/ her gains.

3) Allowing people to comment on prices has been tried here once, with a less than ideal outcome. How smart would we be if we were not to learn from our own past mistakes?

4) Surprisingly many items which seem to get sold here at extortionate prices are items which can be freely imported. Why then are people ready to pay ridiculous margins when they can import these items themselves? I don't really have an answer to this one, except maybe some people are just too lazy and couldn't be bothered to take the trouble themselves.

If some members feel strongly about this, then in stead of cursing the seller (for his greed) and the buyer (for his naivete/ laziness) - why not start a thread here to get together a bunch of interested people who would like to import items which are freely importable? The interested members pool in the money, place an order directly with the manufacturer and import at (hopefully) a much more reasonable price? It's just an off the cuff idea...

5) The IFG sales section was actually intended as a place for members to swap items surplus to their needs and not as a commercial marketplace. Of course over time, many commercial/ semi-professional sellers have entered the scene and trade here regularly, but it seems many members are quite happy to trade with them so I am not sure any direct intervention would be desirable. We could thing along the lines of making deals more transparent, to limit the chances of someone getting duped - any ideas along these lines would be great.

6) Coming back to your idea of the seller listing the retail price + freight + duties etc. + profit margin... the overseas retail prices of most items sold here can be easily had through a web search, so a buyer who wishes to be diligent can actually make the above calculations himself quite easily.

While I don't have a horse in the race as I not a commercial seller myself, I think the commercial sellers should also pipe in here and make their own opinions/ ideas known. They are after all also members here and if they don't speak up, they can't really complain later that their opinion wasn't sought before any decision was made...
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:55 am

<The quote code> Mundaire wrote ----
If some members feel strongly about this, then in stead of cursing the seller (for his greed) and the buyer (for his naivete/ laziness) - why not start a thread here to get together a bunch of interested people who would like to import items which are freely importable? The interested members pool in the money, place an order directly with the manufacturer and import at (hopefully) a much more reasonable price? It's just an off the cuff idea...
<End of the quote code> :-))

I was thinking on the same lines ,to form a newbie gun procurement system, anyone who is willing to buy a legally importable Airgun should post a request with the link, supported with required document (if any) along with 10% facilitation fee for IFG (so that we can justify the leg work, or hire someone for the task) in case there are such requests.

I doubt many sellers would come upfront like NagaRifle here, it takes a lot more than a strong will to state something like that on a board here, salutes to the noble soul.

You are a hero NagaRifle, One day when (if) we have a system running, many will be indebted to you for this humble act of clearing the picture.

Much regards
Subs

eljefe wrote:Oh Yes Eternal me, I had my run in with the '3P' besides the power paani parking ,I guess its the 4th P which has been recorded to be honest, from many millennia ;)
A good discussion and rant is always welcome, so I hope the mods let it be :lol:
3ps of management (prd, pri, plcm) and the single p of eternity, hmm....

back to topic if we may ?

Regards
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:37 pm

eternalme wrote:I doubt many sellers would come upfront like NagaRifle here, it takes a lot more than a strong will to state something like that on a board here, salutes to the noble soul.

You are a hero NagaRifle, One day when (if) we have a system running, many will be indebted to you for this humble act of clearing the picture.:
eternalme

sorry what did do? or say? for suddenly becoming a hero? from zero :) :)
Nagarifle

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:45 pm

You accepted making 100% on selling stuff here :-).
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:55 pm

:D true, but some times i only make 10% it all depands on how much hassle i have to go through to get the items :D
Nagarifle

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:13 pm

You can be a gladiator if you can be so good as to go ahead an provide a fair price rating of the common guns being sold on the forum to enlighten the newbies (non firearm), till we form someway to get the things on behalf of them at a nominal facilitation charge.

Regards
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:35 pm

i do not think that it will work, as long as its a sellers market and limited air guns supply. i would love to see a reasonable fair price for air guns etc as the next man. but will think about your suggestion of drawing up a basic price list. it might be a start. also others can take it up as well.

regards

ps

as a gladiator do i get freedom or die in the ring :D
Nagarifle

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:39 pm

WOW cheers for you Naga !!!!

"Naga Rocks" :cheers:
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:14 am

Ok let me be the devil's advocate: Who decides what is fair? :cheers:

Personally if I could:

I would do a TR with the following:

1. A double rifle in 577TX with 50 rounds.
2. A FN 57 pistol with 50 rounds
3. A Saiga 12 with 50 rounds

Sell the damn things for 1,00,00,000. And go back home and never return.
I think it is a fair price, since everyone wants something that is the most powerful and cool. If I could I would I cant. But that is missing the point... is the price fair? Especially in the Indian context?

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:24 am

MOA,

You can't do a TR with three guns first of all, you can do a tr with one gun only.

Secondly please read the first page of the posting you will understand more to comment further.

Many thanks for your time though.

Regards
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:49 pm

I have been following this thread completely. However I still believe that it is an utopian ideal. :cheers:

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:06 pm

at least it would be a start in the right diraction :D
Nagarifle

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Its no utopian Ideal,

We are just trying to save some people from being mugged and also strengthening the cause.

And we will be able to do something about it as well :-).

Regards
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:54 pm

MoA wrote:Ok let me be the devil's advocate: Who decides what is fair? :cheers:

Personally if I could:

I would do a TR with the following:

1. A double rifle in 577TX with 50 rounds.
2. A FN 57 pistol with 50 rounds
3. A Saiga 12 with 50 rounds

Sell the damn things for 1,00,00,000. And go back home and never return.
I think it is a fair price, since everyone wants something that is the most powerful and cool. If I could I would I cant. But that is missing the point... is the price fair? Especially in the Indian context?
You can't do a TR with three guns. And you can't sell your TR weapon in your lifetime. Case dismissed mr advocate. :wink: Next.....?
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."