What guns to start a buying spree with

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: What guns to start a buying spree with

Post by Pran » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:29 am

Mehul,

>I am looking at a bog bore rifle, preferably a BPE

Thought you already had one! (you do have a pic of one of those in your album in orkut)

>I was never too big on semi auto pistols but will, at some point, have a 1911

a 1911 colt?
Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Bhargav
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bhargav » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:56 am

Pran";p="9356 wrote:Mehul,

>I am looking at a bog bore rifle, preferably a BPE

Thought you already had one! (you do have a pic of one of those in your album in orkut)

>I was never too big on semi auto pistols but will, at some point, have a 1911

a 1911 colt?
Pran
Pran .. just a question out of curiocity, the 1911 will be either in .45 or 9mm correct? then are these calibers allowed in India?

i am sorry i don't know your actual location, i am guessing from your profile :lol:

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:38 am

Mehul,

I think you have already made up your mind and you are just cranking up people to know what choices they make. :wink:

Alright, in your position, if price is not much beyond my ability to make some adjustments, I would buy the Gamba and the Superposed and promptly dispose the surplus U/O. May be, I would use the cash from the sale to get an A-5, if I desperately want it.But,frankly for deer shooting,I would buy a Remmy or a Mossberg slugger.

But, if it must be only one gun,nothing comes close to the beauty,classical ethos,handling of a SXS sidelock. A Gamba for me,Sir.the rest can wait.Image

Best-
vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:04 am

Pran,

The big bore rifles on Orkut belong to different people. The doubles belong to Ernie Stallman, a good friend and one of the world's top barrelmakers. The 50 BMG belongs to Mark's brother Jonah. I shot the two doubles in the pics and several more guns at the 2005 BGRC Match at Lodi Wisconsin and the 50 BMG at Michael IL where Mark's family have their properties. I haven't decided on which one of the 1911s - there are several companies that make them these days including Smith and Wesson and SIG. I prefer to have guns that I could use for hunting and that is why handguns come low on my list of priorities.

Frankly, the best place to find good BPEs is South Asia with India and Bangladesh being the best as these countries do not have any way of shooting these grand old guns. The Pakistani people have several options as far as shooting their old guns is concerned.

Vikram,

I really haven't decided which guns to buy. If I had, I would buy them and invite friends over here to shoot them with me. As simple as that...

Mark has a Mossberg bolt deer gun which he likes a lot but I am somewhat old fashioned in my tastes as you know and like the old style wood and blued steel stuff, and, probably why I like the A-5s. If I had an unlimited bank account I would pick up all of the guns I have talked about and not bother. Not quite having reached there, I have to think hard...

Inder,

Satana hota to khareed ke show off karta. Waisey kharidney ke baad mein akela to chalana wala nahin hoon... :)

Cheers!

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:21 am

mehulkamdar";p="9362 wrote:Pran,

Inder,

Satana hota to khareed ke show off karta. Waisey kharidney ke baad mein akela to chalana wala nahin hoon... :)

Cheers!
No Mehul, You got me wrong there I was just lamenting on our conditions in INDIA. You people can buy what ever you want but we can't, even if we cut our stomach and save some money.

And I know your friends will shoot your guns more than you, No doubt on that buddy :)

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:06 am

Mehul

sxs Gamba. Thats what I would buy..
And off course hammer guns from the other Guru
All the best

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:28 pm

Mehul,
The smokepole's a ML? Do we get new MLs in India? Did ask a gun shop guy in Bangalore about MLs.Said he had an old one for 6000 INR.Wasn't really friendly enough to show it to me though :(
Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:37 pm

AFAIK percussion cap ignition ML's were being made in India at least up to the 90's, I saw a brand new example at a gun shop in Hisar around '95 or so... This was patterned after the original Enfield (3 band?) ML rifle which was in use during colonial times.

ML licenses were (are?) commonly issued for crop protection to farmers, which is probably why there was a demand and therefore a supply... Asked casually about old British and French ML's in Jaipur about 3-4 years back, the gentleman was asking for INR 15k for a double barrel French ML... I was basically at the shop to purchase an antique sword so did not press for further details...

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:41 pm

Abhijeet,
ML licenses are still being issued.Didn't know their production was stopped.thanks for the info.
Pran

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:02 pm

Pran, I completely forgot about Curios House in Udaipur... they make MLs and other replicas even now... Never shot one myself, but Mehul has a pretty good opinion of their products...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:18 pm

Abhijeet,
Well, replicas aren't as fascinating as the real thing.Found the pics in Mehul's album interesting.Do see them.
Pran

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:57 pm

Pran";p="9421 wrote:Well, replicas aren't as fascinating as the real thing.
If I am not mistaken they make fully functional (working) as well as non-working (only for show) replicas... One of the owners is a member here and sometime back had posted some items for sale in the buy/ sell sections...

www.gunowners.in

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:30 pm

Abhijeet/Pran,

Curious House muzzleloaders are very highly regarded in the West and I came to know about them from a friend who is a very large gun dealer in France. They have been exporting their firing Enfield replicas as well as their own double shotguns and rifles in 12 bore for some time. Their guns are proof tested by the IOF.

When Vikram told us about the Damascus blades sold at Purdeys being made in India, I have more than a vague feeling that Curious House make them for Purdey. If Purdey buy something from a company, that company must be good.

The owner Mr Gajendra Singh Parihar's son Pradeep is a member here. In all my communication with them, they have been exceptionally courteous and fine people. Anyone who wishes to check with them on their products could send them an e-mail. Their website is also fairly detailed but some of the guns that are exported are not listed on it. I am sure that if someone approached them with a Muzzleloader license they would sell them their export models also.

Cheers!

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:08 am

Mehul, I was just trying to pull your leg. :lol: Gamba,Gamba,Gamba....
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:05 am

Mehul,

Thanks for the info.Wasn't aware of MLs being in India.Would love to see a close up pic of your Knight ML..

Pran