Hyd police to train gun-owners

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
clownfish
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Hyd police to train gun-owners

Post by clownfish » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:36 am

Found this article on CNN IBN Web Page Name

Heres the complete text.

Hyderabad: Owning a gun with a legal license might have been an easy task for many in Hyderabad. However, it’s not going to be that easy anymore. Hyderbad police has decided to put a check on the people holding a gun license and those using it.

In a startling revelation, police found out that out of the 5,000 gun licence holders, around 300 can't be traced. They have been issued show-cause notices to renew licences.

"We want to make issue of gun license and detention of guns a more responsible affair," Police Commissioner, AK Mohanty said.

The department hopes the new strategy will help them keep track of the gun licence holders. Now those owning a gun will have to submit proof of their physical fitness and ability to use the weapon.

"We'll train people and teach them how to load and unload a weapon besides other safety instructions. In any eventuality they would know how to use the weapon they have," secretary, AP rifle association, Amit Sanghi said.

The new measures will also include:

Thorough checks on character antecedents of applicants

A possible threat perception

An interview with senior police officer

Quarterly physical checks about the weapon and ammunition usage accountability

Auto reminders to licence holders for renewals

"Its not just about fitness, the person owning a gun should also be fit enough to hold the gun from a security angle. In fact, gun licenses should be given to those who really need to possess it," Mohanty added.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:55 am

Not a bad idea because its a fact that majority of owners are clueless about the guns and safety rules.

Cheers

rkba
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rkba » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:04 pm

So true. The worst are the folks who call themselves "bandook ke shokeen". These are the people to be wary about, because more often than not, they have no idea about the weapon. I've met so many pistol owners for whom all pistols are mau-jars (for Mauser).

Regards,

Roshan.
Roshan Prasad

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:39 pm

how right you are... i know of a geek who does know that he has a hand gun, but has forgotten whether it was a revolver or a pistol !! :evil:

mehulkamdar

Re: Hyd police to train gun-owners

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:40 pm

If the Hyderabad police do this right then it is a positive step. Many states in the USA that issue concealed carry licenses require a course and a minimum proficiency in gun usage and that Hyderabad police should look at this as their ultimate aim. They could also offer a refresher course whenever they have to renew a license as is mandatory in the states that require training for a CCW.

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:36 am

I must appreciate the steps that HYD police has decided for Gun Owners safety.. as I don’t know how smart are they, but if similar step comes from WB Police . :? . I have to think twice before I say anything as I already heard about lots of fire arms accident in newspaper caused by them within police premises. Also one of my friends father got
Bullet injury in his lower abdomen as his revolver goes off by Armory In charge while inspecting it for duty turnover!!! :o Fortunately it was fired from almost point blank range and the bullet passes straight through his belly without producing much damage and more surprisingly after his return from Nursing Home when I asked him about the weapon and about the incident, I found that he don’t even know what he is carrying in holster for last 15 years in his service life!!!!! :shock: In response to my question “what weapon was that? “ He answered me “Ki jani baba sorkar theke dey holster ei pore thake 15 bochore to kakhono chalabar dorkar poreni “ I don’t know my son, Govt gives it and we keep it in our holsters that’s all and I never required to fire it in last 15 years !!!! :x Later I came to know that it was a .38 Webley

There are incident also where security guards 9mm Pistol goes off near Present chief minister’s residence!!! :shock: If a CM’s body guards don’t know the basic fire arms safety what more I can expect to learn from them. Also in September a so called bomb experts died during a live demonstration of defusing a landmine in front of group of journalists as he is not aware of the techniques of how to defuse it!!! :o

Check out this link to know more about these incidents

http://cities.expressindia.com/archivef ... 2006-03-05

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1060922/a ... 779024.asp

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:45 am

clownfish";p="8755 wrote: Owning a gun with a legal license might have been an easy task for many in Hyderabad.
Really ???? :o Congratulation Hydrabadis you have one more reason to be proud of apart from Sahi Biriyani and Saniya Mirza :wink:

Satpal_S
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Satpal_S » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:09 am

I smell a big Rat here.

One more hurdle to get a licence.

More lubricant for the police person in charge of issuing training certificate.

Political hacks will still get their licences (Training or no training). Ordinary people will suffer.

Just go to any Auto licencing office in India. Most blatant disregard of proper training for Auto licence. Mostly it is, give moolah get licence!!

Untrained Auto drivers kill far too many people in India, yet nobody raises much of a fuss!

Why this special treatment for gunowners?

Hope I am wrong!

Just don't trust the intentions of Police/Politicians/Babus.

Satpal

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:40 am

Satpal,

Police won't issue certificates. Police will ask a certificate from the Andhra Pradesh Rifle Association. The current commissioner AK Mohanty is associated with RAAP.
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:14 pm

lollll,hahahahahahahahahhaah-'Mau-jar',,,100% correct, even i have heard 100s of ppl callin it.
rkba";p="8768 wrote: So true. The worst are the folks who call themselves "bandook ke shokeen". I've met so many pistol owners for whom all pistols are mau-jars (for Mauser).

Regards,

Roshan.
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:32 pm

Saptarshi, thanks for narrating the incidents. I know of more such cases. One happened when I was right inside the Lalbazar police headquarters talking to a DCP a few years ago. We hard a bang and rushed downstairs to find that a constable, while returning his 303 rifle for the day to the malkhana inspector, just squeezed the trigger to see if IT WAS UNLOADED !!!!!
Luckily the barrel was pointed at the ceiling. A chunk of cement came off and fell on another constable who had to be rushed to a doctor...

In another incident, this one narrated by a fellow club member, a senior police officer while showing off his 357 magnum smith and wesson to a guest squeezed the trigger to show how it works. The weapon was loaded. The guest had a narow escape as the slug went through the sofa.
The officer apologised by saying he forgot that the weapon was loaded !!!!!

So much for safety rules.

However I appreciate the initiative by the Hyderabad police. If, as Saptal rightly pointed out, this does not turn into another money spinning racket.

Happy New Year Gentlemen

TC

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:45 pm

With all the incidents posted by Satpal and TC- is it a case of blind leading the lame?
I have mentioned before-on asking a Noida SI about the new pistol he was carrying, he replied -"Australian, 20 round hai" turned out to be a glock 17.With that degree of sophistication and expertise,I dont discount any cop-gun story as a fairy tale...For what its worth, lets hope the intenstions are good, before it becomes a motor car driving school type racket.
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:32 pm

Satpal is right. This is nothing more than another nail in the coffin known as Indian gun ownership and will also be used to extract more money.

However, I do agree with those who lament the lack of safe and responsible gun handling.

Mack The Knife