Shooting Range!

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
stunngun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Shooting Range!

Post by stunngun » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:21 pm

I just came back from a shooting range in my area in Dwarka! I;d gone to have a look at the place after speaking with Naresh Sharma, who is a shooter and runs the place!

Will be joining up with them soon! Thought I would just put up a note and inform you guys too! Thou I am feeling numb and devoiud of feeling now, I thought I would be really excited at the prospect! Maybe it;s the shock that things are actually goin on so easy for me and the place is just 5 mins away from where I put up!
"wh@r*s don't live in company of poor men, citizens never support a weak company and birds don't build nests on a tree that doesn't bear fruits." Chanakya quotes (Indian politician, strategist and writer, 350 BC -275 BC )

For Advertising mail webmaster
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Shooting Range!

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:29 pm

Hey Good for you Stungun...

Do they have guns to rent there or you planning to buy one?

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:04 pm

Nisha,

Good for you! What kind of shooting discipline are you going to take up?

Personally, I would suggest starting with a 22 lr rifle at 25 and then 50 metres and then going to rimfire pistol, rounding it off with a shotgun sport like trap or skeet. In any case, check with your coach/instructor there and decide.

If you could post pictures here, please do so.

Cheers!

stunngun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by stunngun » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:01 pm

hey Inder! They dont sell guns but have some programmes so I just have to chose what to take up! Buying a gun is definitely on my mind but not before I learn how to take care of them and know what kinda sport I am looking at!

Mehul! Thanks so much for your invaluable input! I always appreciate what advice you have to give!

What the guy showed me was some rifles and a pistol which looked so sexy! Wow! I wouldnt know the names yet! I ahve a long way to go for that!

They had a place with rows and the bullseye at the other end, so I am guessing they would be concentrating on the aiming bit as of now and the guy told me that the first few days, it would take me to steady my hands! Now having worked as artist for a good part of my life, I dont see that as a problem!

I am only confused now as to which programme to take, a 5 day one or a one month one, for which I am definitely not gonna be regular! :D

I'll get the pics of the guns but asking him to take my pics wih a gun would make me look demented as if I am gonna be showing off later on! I cant do that to me and my image! lol
"wh@r*s don't live in company of poor men, citizens never support a weak company and birds don't build nests on a tree that doesn't bear fruits." Chanakya quotes (Indian politician, strategist and writer, 350 BC -275 BC )

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:54 pm

Mehul! Thanks so much for your invaluable input! I always appreciate what advice you have to give!
Must be the beard.People with a beard and mooch always look wise and sagacious :wink: Noticed one thing,almost all the genocidal dictators/ depots were/are clean shaven.Leave Castro out of this list.Just an excuse for Cubans to justify their entry into USA :lol:

penpusher

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:00 pm

Hey stunngun

Where is that range located in dwarka ? please give me the details so that i can also visit there.

Danish

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:02 pm

Do they permit firing of handguns too ???? and an idea of the range using charges ?? if possible !!

stunngun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by stunngun » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:42 pm

penpusher, you are plain jealous of his beard! :lol:

Danish it is at Sector 7, at a basement in a shopping complex, diagonally opposite Shiksha Bharati School! There is also a huge tyre shop there!

Hey Anupam,
the charges aren;t too high! What I recollect is 300 per day but that included coaching, range and using their pistols and rifles.

I guess range charges would be much less!

Tell me when you guys plan to go there, I might just join up with you!

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:53 pm

penpusher,

You certainly share the beard and moustache combination, I am sure and so does Inder. :) Now do we form the League of Wise and Bearded Members of the IFG? :lol:

Nisha,

From your description of the range it does sound like an air rifle and air pistol range. I am not sure that India has the facilities ot set up underground firearms ranges especially ranges where the cleanup of lead from projectiles, sound deadening etc would neccessarily be required.

If this range offers professional coaching from a certified instructor then it might be a good place for people with ISSF 10 metre match aspirations to go to. Otherwise, with an air rifle, you could set up a target and pot away in your own garden or backyard. Even in these days of curtailed home sizes in India, I doubt there is anyone who cannot find 33 feet of space to shoot a low powered air rifle in.

Cheers!

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:37 pm

You certainly share the beard and moustache combination,
You bet .Had a rolled up beard even in the University.As for the mooch,can give any wannabe Salvador Dali a run for his money :lol:

penpusher
Last edited by penpusher on Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:51 pm

penpusher,

I hope your style of painting is a bit different though. ;)

Mack The Knife

horribleharshad
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by horribleharshad » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:12 pm

3oo bucks a day? That's daylight highway robbery!! I paid 250 bucks for my 10 day initaitaion/basic course, 250 each month after that.... just that i have to pay for the targets and pellets too. The rifles currently an N25 for me, but The use FWB's too and another three pneumatics that i don't know about. It's near sanjay gandhi national park.... since you know where that is.... a 4 minute drive at most.

Incidentally, its in a school (finally, some people with sense!) and students or X students of the school are charged peanuts... I'm not one.

As far as discharging a low power air rifle inside a house goes, I'm not a fraction as experienced as Mr.Mehul, but hitting a stell cupboard can cause a ricochet, any hard object for that matter. Also it pocks the walls real bad..... I've seen a classroom in the school they used before the range was built..... destroyed, feels like I'm in afghanistan [:D].
Sic Transit Gloria!

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:09 pm

horribleharshad";p="8536 wrote:

As far as discharging a low power air rifle inside a house goes, I'm not a fraction as experienced as Mr.Mehul, but hitting a stell cupboard can cause a ricochet, any hard object for that matter. Also it pocks the walls real bad..... I've seen a classroom in the school they used before the range was built..... destroyed, feels like I'm in afghanistan [:D].
It would take a particular moron to shoot an air rifle at a steel cupboard, a wall or whatever. There are pellet collectors that Mack The Knife makes for example as well as commercial ones to be used for target practice. A heavy old carpet or rug behind the target is also usually sufficient to stop any air rifle pellet from damaging anything.

stunngun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by stunngun » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:58 pm

Hey Mehul! I think I will take up the coaching but before that I did go thru your mail where you suggested a revolver for my purpose and incidently some one I know is gonna help me with the license and buying of the gun! I would ahve to do a lota homework before that and perhaps learn to shoot and aim well too! I might take up a one day(actually one hour course) with the place I visited and then see how it goes! If I need to practise more with the aim, I could join up for 25 days which is like 2000!

Hobharsh! How old are you? And about you thinking that what they are charging is like daylight robbery, yeah, sometimes when the supply is more and demand is less then there is inflation! Thats economics for you! 8)

Now a lecture for you!

Why did you compare the classroom to Afghanistan? Have you been to the place? I have friends who are Afghans, Indians and Pakistanis - they are very emotional people, over sensitive and take pride in themselves! If they ever see me letting this go off, they wont like me for it, I wont like myself either!

To talk more and clarify on this, I might have to take you to a political arena! I wont do that!

I hope I dont come across as over bearing! I know you made this comment in jest! But put yuorself in their shoes, you may understand why I react the way I do!

Over and Out!

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:56 am

Stunngun,
Why did you compare the classroom to Afghanistan? Have you been to the place? I have friends who are Afghans, Indians and Pakistanis - they are very emotional people, over sensitive and take pride in themselves! If they ever see me letting this go off, they wont like me for it, I wont like myself either!

To talk more and clarify on this, I might have to take you to a political arena! I wont do that!
One of the methods adopted by some of the Pathan tribes inthe NWFP, to dispose off captured Indian soldiers(especially Sikhs) of the British Indian Army was to hand them over to the women.The man's mouth was forced open and then kept open by a stick.Then the women would pee into his mouth and he would drown in it.Senstive, my foot.Another was to cut off......I think I better leave it at that.

The Lahore Durbar and later the British too showed no mercy in their dealings with the Pathans and anybody else who sought to challenge their authority in these areas.The Pathans expected no less .The term, Sika shahi(sikh rule)to signify a period of misrule , very popular in Pakistan(take this up with your Pakistani friends, please), arose out of the harsh rule of Ranjeet Singh in the now NWFP. It was Ranjeet Singh who took these areas, including Kashmir, away from the Amir of Kabul and later the British inherited it.At the end of the Second Afghan War,a treaty was signed (Gandamak,I think)by which the Amir of Kabul formaly gave up all rights to these areas.

The Urdu Primer used in schools used to have the photo of a Sikh below the alphabet zoe and then the word 'Zalem'(cruel).Even I am a very sensitive person and also a proud one.What do I do then???

During the war over Kashmir in 1947-48,one of the reasons that the Kabaili Lashkars could not secure the Srinigar airport ,was because they were busy looting the bazar and the inhabitants of the valley and raping their women.All the nuns of a convent included.How about the Bangladesh freedom struggle.I am very sure the 'senstive and proud' Pakistani officers and jawans were all crying while carrying out mass rape's of Bangla women and gunning down fleeing refugees indiscriminately.Their own country men and women at that time,mind you

Afghan's and Pakistani's are nice people and very hospitable ,as are we.These are however, mere generalisations.We are all capable of equal measures of warmth and cruelty.We got to realise that and move forward.I am all for peace.I am very sure both the Indian and the Pakistani army jawans want nothing more than to serve in the army and then go home to their families, after earning their pension.But if so required the Indian Jawan will fight and have no compunctions about killing the enemy.

Now as to the remarks about the room looking like something out of Afghanistan,don't we see photos of houses pockmarked with bullet holes in Kabul and other areas.I am very sure that this is what was implied and you don't have to go to Afhanistan for that.

penpusher