Matchlocks and general black powder shooting in India...

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Matchlocks and general black powder shooting in India...

Post by timmy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:23 am

Last night, my Wife and I were watching some previously recorded TV shows I have (I have quite a few on India) and the one I picked was titled: Warrior Empire - The Mughals of India. One of the points that was brought out was the use, by Akbar and his armies, of the matchlock. This part of the show had the host going to a gunmaker in India who still made matchlocks - the ones they showed were very nice, indeed! As a matter of fact, the side plate for the serpentine lock looked quite a bit like the side plate of a flintlock, with the tapered ends and some engraving. The serpentine that held the match pivoted in a hole where a conventional flintlock hammer would be mounted. The trigger handle was like the ones of old, with a long leaf spring attached to it.

All of this made me wonder, are there many folks making matchlocks like this in India nowadays? I have seen pictures of Japanese matchlocks, and they do interest me some, but if there are Indian matchlocks to be had, I would be interested in looking into that!

I doubt that one could use them for too much Western hunting, as the land management people would have a fit over an open burning match (and rightly so!). However, here in Texas, one might be able to profitably employ matchlocks for hunting varmints like wild hogs or javalina.

Is there anyone here who could tell some interesting things about black powder shooting and matchlocks in India?

Thanks!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

For Advertising mail webmaster
aandu
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Matchlocks and general black powder shooting in India...

Post by aandu » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:33 am

Interesting post...

Manufacturing ammunition guns/rifles in India is not so easy any more. Lots of strict laws.

That said, the Police regularly confiscate , primitive looking illegal guns, hand made in simple village smithy's that are pretty close to matchlocks. Inaccurate shots, blinding quantities of smoke, when you fire them. But as to where once can get it better ask the police if they would auction any ... :) higly unlikely...

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:54 am

Hi Tim,

These folks are well known for their muzzle loading guns&rifles,replica period guns etc.I believe they export a good number of their guns.

http://www.curioushouse.com/about_us.htm

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=525

You can try contacting them.The owner is a member here too,I believe.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:57 am

I see that the Curioushouse provided arms to the TV show I watched! Also, perhaps the doglock that is pictured in their gallery is the same one I see marketed on some other black powder sites. The brass hooks for mounting a rifle to a wall look exactly like the "Ted Cash" items sold here for $20 a pair.

I have also been snooping around on the web and found this page:

http://www.asmainegoes.com/content/shoo ... and-videos

where this fellow bought a kit that was made in India -- or, at least, the barrel was, as one of his pictures clearly shows.

Regarding the one thread you posted, Vikram, Abhijeet gives a pretty strong reason why black powder shooting isn't that popular -- a muzzleloader counts against the permitted number of arms.

Here, the laws are generally more lenient regarding muzzle loading (or, perhaps, more correctly, non-cartridge) weapons. It is a shame that the government doesn't even give the gun enthusiast this kind of outlet for pursuing an interest in shooting and firearms.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Gunwhistle
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Gunwhistle » Mon May 08, 2017 6:37 am

Can I ask, did you ever find a manufacturer?