Introduction to Firearms

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
mishradk
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Introduction to Firearms

Post by mishradk » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:56 pm

Hi People,
I will continue from where Mr. Mehul had stopped..
http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=777

Most of the people here are so ignorant about guns and all these type of things.. what they can post?

I think for some lucky people.. getting a chance to shoot 10 rounds in NCC is the biggest achievement.. achievement of life time..

In my company .. next to my cube there was a lady(Age 35+ ).. who used to tell story of how she fired 10 rounds and brought the target back without submitting that to the NCC officer.. After Rathor's achievement her laminated target with 3 hits, hanging in her cube always attract people..

I am not commenting her.. but feeling sad about those people who even could not do this..

Many times I also just read the posts by you people to know more about shooting..

I have started this a thread with a name "Introduction to Firearms "
Hope you people will contribute to this thread talking about different types of guns.. rifles.. firearms.. used and which are used in India ( with photos)

Some thing like a tutorial will be a best thing to introduce people to shooting..

Once we see enough information is posted we will consolidate the post and will make a tutorial .. our own tutorial ...

“From Indians for Guns to Guns for Indians”

Regards
Deepak Mishra

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Re: Introduction to Firearms

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:11 am

Deepak,

As far as a tutorial is concerned, many of our own members are not aware that we have permission to use the Expert Village shooting instruction videos amd the links section of our site links directly to them. The problem is that we need to have a mentoring process of sorts which exists in Delhi and BAngalore but not in the rest of India.

For example, the young daughter of one of my good friends who is no more and a friend of hers, both of whom just graduated from the Madras Christian College, recently asked me if they could learn to shoot somewhere. While my friend's little girl had no problems, her friend's father refused to allow her to even go to the MRC with a friend who offered to help. The man was scared that his daughter would get hurt. It is these attitudes that we need to defeat with a proper mentoring and coaching process if we are to develop our sport further.

We have seen that the NRAI and State rifle associations are no good in this regard and I am wondering how we could do this on a larger scale than people like Mack The Knife, Asif and others have been doing out of sheer personal dedication. The next time you're here, we'll go to the Naperville Club and you'll see why the shooting sports are so popular in this country. Last Sunday as we shot a few rounds of trap in the snow, at the second station was a father lovingly teaching his 8 or 9 year old daughter to shoot with a little single shot 410 shotgun. Contrast that to the father in Chennai who refused to send his daughter to the MRC because he was frightened...

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:47 pm

I think it’s a good idea Mishra,

One of the main reasons why shooting sports are not so popular in INDIA is ignorance or lack of knowledge about Guns. Shooting as a sport got media or public attention only after Anjali Bhagwat and Mr. Rathore achived something. I think we as a group can contribute in our own way. We can do some video's, pics explaining, Gun safety issues, different kind of Guns, calibers, Rules for ISSF matches, Shooting Techniques. I think moderators should discuss this. Our site can act as Knowledge base for young shooters like I had problems in mounting shotgun and members tried to help me. If we can have this on video then I think it will help rookie shooters a lot.

My Two cents... :)

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Bhargav
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bhargav » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:36 pm

Friends ...

Well this is a very good idea put up here by our friend Mr. Mishra.

I have already introduced myself in the General Ramblings section but still for those who don't know me. well i am Bhargav and i am from Los Angeles, USA.
I am sorry i cannot throw much light about Shooting and the requirements in India coz i have never shot in India but yes i can surely give some basic information on firearms from my knowledge and experience i have gained so far.

so here we go, i am not an expert and so pls feel free to correct me or modify this information.

Guns.. What are guns ?

well to define this term, Gun is a machine which ejects a projectile with too much force.

There are basically two types of guns
1) AirGuns also known as gas propelled guns or pellet guns.
2) FireArms.

Before we go in deep details lets see what are the Safety rules.
RULE 1 : Always point the gun in a safe direction.
RULE 2 : Always keep the gun unloaded and action open.
RULE 3 : Consider the gun to be loaded at all times.
RULE 4 : Know your target and what is behind your target.

Coming back to the classifications of Guns.

1) AirGuns.
These are the guns which work on gas propelled mechanism. A pellet is placed in the chamber and then when the gun is fired, the pellet is pushed out of the muzzle with the help of air pressure.
Hence the name "Air Gun".

These guns are e.g. .177 caliber, Walter's or Feinwerkbau etc.

2) FireArms
These type of guns are the guns which are called "Real Guns". :lol:

It works on the same mechanism as the Air gun but here instead of air the projecttile or bullet is propelled with the help of gas pressure.

when the gun is loaded with a bullet the gun is ready to fire. This can be explained as when the trigger is pulled the striker strikes on the pin. This pin hits the center of the bullet where the primer is located and which ignites the powder filled behind the bullet.
This ignition creates lot of gas in the chamber and since muzzle is the only way out, it pushes the bullet with great force.

Different types of Pistols :
1) Full auto : Once the trigger is pulled, all bullets are fired one by one till empty.
2) Semi-Auto : One fire per one time trigger pull.
3) Revolvers : As the name says, the bullets are contained in a cylinder which rotates after each fire hence the name "revolver".

Different Types of long muzzle guns:
1) Rifles : These are the guns with long muzzle, they are called Rifle coz of the Rifled inner wall of the muzzle. "Rifle" are the round groves made inside the muzzle which gives a twist to the bullet when fired.
As per physics rule a rotating projectile maintains a very firm and straigt path of progression, so when a bullet is fired it spins as it goes ahead. This makes the gun accurate.
Offcourse the grain of the bullet definately comes into picture but i will cover this topic later in this tutorial.
2) ShotGuns : These type of guns have smooth bore, means the inner side of the muzzle is not Rifled.

Now coming back to some fundamentals :
1) What is an "Action" of a gun ?
The working mechenism of a Firearm.

2) What do you mean by a "Bore" of a gun ?
The interior of a firearm's barrel excluding the chamber.

3) What is a "caliber" of the gun ?
The diameter of a projectile of a rifled firearm or the diameter between lands in a rifled barrel. This measurement is different in different countries e.g
USA - hundereds of an inch = 1 inch/100
Great Britain - thousands of an inch = 1 / 1000
Europe and elsewhere - millimeters e.g 9mm.

4) What is a "magazine" of a gun ?
A spring loaded container for catridges that may be an integral part of the gun or detachable.

5) What is a "Muzzle velocity" of the gun ?
It is the speed of the bullet when it is in the muzzle of the gun after its fired. Normally its measured in Feets per second (fps).

6) What do you mean by "Grain" in Bullets?
Grain is basically a term used to specify the weight of the bullet.
1 Grain = 1 pound (lb)/7000.
Bullets are weighed in grains. e.g. 130 grain bullet or 120 grain bullet.

Different grains of bullets are used in different hunting sports. depending upon the game, the more heavier game the more is the grain of the bullet.

heavier game = heavier animal.

We get different grains per caliber, that means we can have a 130 grain 30 caliber bullet or a 150 grain 30 caliber bullet. Since the caliber is same so the bullet does not increase in the diameter but increases in length to accomodate that extra weight.

There are many interesting things about guns which i have not mentioned here. Didn't wanted to make this look like a book, coz people lose interest while reading and yawns step in :lol:

Hope this information will surely help any newbies who are seeking knowledge about firearms.

My FAQs are limited out here so pls read this and post any questions that come in your mind and i will be glad to help.

Thanks for reading.

Peace. :D

Bhargav :D

mishradk
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by mishradk » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:46 pm

Hi Bhargav..
A very good post by you.. many new people will definitely get help from this post..

And Indiar thank you very much I think we can do it. and we just have to support our moderators to make this happen..

Mr Mehul.. The Village Expert link is cool.. I had never seen those.. Thank you for informing us about the links..

Regards
Deepak

Bhargav
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bhargav » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:54 pm

thank you mishra.

at the same time i urge Mr. Moderator to make this post sticky,, if possible so that all information contained in here remains at the top all the time.

Thanks.

horribleharshad
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by horribleharshad » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:57 pm

Rule 5: Always treat your gun with respect and take care of it.

Not as important as the other four, but an uncared for gun can be rather dangerous.......

It is also very important to remember that a gun is not a toy.....
Sic Transit Gloria!

mishradk
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by mishradk » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:07 pm

Hi horribleharshad ..
Are you just 16 years old?
If so then WOW.. you have told the most important point..
Thanks..
mishradk

Bhargav
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bhargav » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:36 am

HorribleHarshad,

well that is a good point but cannot be considered as a RULE. :lol:

i am talking about some legal rules which you need to know when you hit the Range.

Bhargav