Price of hanguns

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
boatme99
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Price of hanguns

Post by boatme99 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:00 am

I checked the IOF website to see what they manufacture. I was looking to see if they export to the U.S. It seems that they have a monoply on firearms and military hardware in India, but they're not exported here. The price for a .32 was about 70,000ir. that's about $1400.00 u.s! WOW! :shock: For that kind of moola here, you could have your choice of alot of different high quality, custom handguns, or something like 2 Sigs, 8 Hi Point 9mm semis., or 9 Heritage Arms 22 revolvers. A very expensive hobby there. How are ammo prices and availability? We do have a shortage of ammo right now. Much caused by our last election.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Price of hanguns

Post by Vineet » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:43 am

Here in India ammo is available easily and cost is around 35 ir.

BJL
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by BJL » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:44 am

Don't rub it in mate :) Indian gun-owners know painfully well the steeply inflated prices in gun-restrictive India.
“To be both a speaker of words and a doer of deeds”- The Iliad.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:53 am

Vineet wrote:Here in India ammo is available easily and cost is around 35 ir.
Unfortunately most of us are also restricted to 50 shots a year and a maximum of 25 shots at a time (In most cases)...so availability is next to pointless.. :(
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

Rottmeister
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Rottmeister » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:19 pm

We all complaint about it and yet help the price factor stay upright; what about the people who advertise selling their own guns through IFG? Even they ask for atrocious amounts which is beyond the reach of common people like I am, who need one to fight life threats. I witnessed someone charging 11 lakhs for a .357 Magnum and 35000 for a co2 desert eagle. C'mon, you can't expect the change unless the mindsets of the community members change first. The sellers in this community need to set an example first i.e. practice what they preach.
The clash of honor calls -
To stand, when others fall.

raj
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by raj » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:24 pm

RottLord wrote:We all complaint about it and yet help the price factor stay upright; what about the people who advertise selling their own guns through IFG? Even they ask for atrocious amounts which is beyond the reach of common people like I am, who need one to fight life threats. I witnessed someone charging 11 lakhs for a .357 Magnum and 35000 for a co2 desert eagle. C'mon, you can't expect the change unless the mindsets of the community members change first. The sellers in this community need to set an example first i.e. practice what they preach.
:agree: :agree:
---I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it.

---"Slow is Smooth,Smooth is Fast"

Rottmeister
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Rottmeister » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:39 pm

Well, Raj and I agree; anyone else joining the league? What I want to say is: If a J-Frame S&W in .38 costs $925 first hand in the foreign countries, let the owner here sell an used one for the same amount and not in lakhs; I saw one very recently with one of the renowned gun dealers in Kolkata and he asked for a whopping 3.5 lakhs! If IFG members can keep prices low, I think it shall change the scene with the gun dealers all over the country.

BJL
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by BJL » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:07 am

If someone buys the gun for a few lakhs to start with, how would they be able to afford to sell it for its actual value, and swallow the difference? Most gun owners won't be able to financially handle that. What is needed is for new guns to not be sold for such extravagant prices. And that price is because of the huge lack of imported supply, and a choke-hold on domestic supply by the IOF in the face of healthy demand. S

Simple economics: until the monopoly is broken, and imports are allowed in, prices can't be brought down.

Rottmeister
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Rottmeister » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:21 am

I agree BJL, but there are people as well who bought the imported stuff long before 1986 at not that high a price. For example, I knew one Colonel Duttagupta (then Retd; now deceased) who had a Browning (a.f.a.i.r. and not the Hi-Power) that he sold in 1989 for the price that he bought it for and that was far below 50K. I was 15 year old then, else would have bought it right away. I'm sure there are people who still have stuff bought before 1986; the only thing is they want to reap the max benefits. Where did brotherhood disappear?

BJL
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by BJL » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:28 am

Good chap that. Money is money, friend, and if its so easy to make, be rest assured that people won't waste an opportunity. I refuse to drop a couple of lakhs for a weapon worth a few thousand.

Rottmeister
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Rottmeister » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:34 am

Sure; given a chance, we Indians shall also sell our souls; we've already done that with our conscience, sensitiveness, truthfulness and most of all, our own Motherland. . :twisted:

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:48 am

Everything discussed and agreed, what next? What steps next to further RKBA? Where is GFI?
Last edited by goodboy_mentor on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rottmeister
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Rottmeister » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:55 am

Tell me something: How many of the IFG-ans are willing to donate 500 bucks yearly to IFG, so that plans can be executed? I believe there are over 1000 members, so imagine the amount we can look forward to. I believe a little bit of a social service (in its real sense) can take things far for us. I also proposed the same thing earlier, but all backed off barring a few.

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:57 am

RottLord wrote:I agree BJL, but there are people as well who bought the imported stuff long before 1986 at not that high a price. For example, I knew one Colonel Duttagupta (then Retd; now deceased) who had a Browning (a.f.a.i.r. and not the Hi-Power) that he sold in 1989 for the price that he bought it for and that was far below 50K. I was 15 year old then, else would have bought it right away. I'm sure there are people who still have stuff bought before 1986; the only thing is they want to reap the max benefits. Where did brotherhood disappear?
In the 80'sperhaps till the early 90's ie just after the ban in 86 the price for most .32 pistols was less than 50 K,in those day it was the revolvers that commanded a better price,some where bet 30 & 50 K....

Everything discussed and agreed, what next? What steps next to further RKBA? Where is GFI?
There is no GFI....IFG is just an online forum for folks intrested in fire arms and shooting...

Rottmeister
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Rottmeister » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:08 am

That makes IFG as good as one of those worthless community clubs we see in every locality of West Bengal, where people are more interested with Dada's and Didi's of cricket and politics, but not with issues like the next door chap beating up his old mother. WHAT A SHAME!!!!