For buyers of second hand firearms

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
penpusher

For buyers of second hand firearms

Post by penpusher » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:20 pm

Shit happens and just because the gun is imported does not mean that it is going to keep on shooting for ever.Also,foreign makers have produced lemons from time to time and continue to do so.

http://www.gunworks.co.nz/index.php?itemid=34

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: For buyers of second hand firearms

Post by Sakobav » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:07 am

So your suggestion is always conduct a tractor tire bench rest firing test i.e. tie the gun to a some securely to some bench rest and then pull the trigger via a chord? Incidentally I was reading Jim Corbett's book even one of his first shortguns had a damaged barrel, he used to shoot through the other good one after it was checked by his poacher friend. Point is if life gives you lemons make lemonade provided the gun is inspected by a qualified gun smith or an experienced armor shooter.

Best

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:07 pm

Navi,

Considering the prices of firearms in India,it would make for a very expensive lemonade.

Reason for posting this-

Check your firearm before you buy it or before shooting it.

Things to check

1.Bolt action rifle-chamber,bore,crown,bolt lugs,bolt face,head space,signs of rust pitting under the wood work,any welding that would affect the heat treatment of the receiver,feeding lips,feeding ramp,stock,bedding, working of the trigger and safety,mag spring.mag. release.Be sure what cartridge the rifle that you are buying is chambered for.Does the rifle feed and eject properly.

2.Double barrel rifle shotgun-chamber and barrel for pitting/dents/rust/lead or copper fouling/bulges ,muzzle-ensure that the chokes are intact and that the barrels have not been cut back to remove severely eroded portions or even cracks(seen a Damascus barreled 12ga IHolis with 3" chambers with one barrel cracked at the muzzle),action-ensure that it is on the face and that the lugs have not been peened or the barrel filed where it meets the face of the action,check face of the action for erosion,pitting,check firing pin holes and ensure that the gun fires(I have seen a claimed NIB shotgun with one firing pin missing),check to ensure that the sears engage properly( I have a friend who got shot by another friend of his while being shown a Geeco 12ga that his friend had just bought),ensure the chamber length(2",2.5", 2.3/4") of the shotgun that you are buying and also ensure whether the gun is proofed for BP or Nitro.In case of a double rifle,find out the cartridge that the rifle is chambered for.Keep in mind that they are generally regulated for a specific bullet weight and will not fire that well with another bullet/powder combo.Check the working of the ejectors if there are any.

3.Revolver-besides the obvious(barrel,cylinder,repair,end play,working)check the timing.If there are drag marks on the cylinder,the timing is out

4.Pistol-do check the condition of the mag besides the rest(barrel,chamber,fitting of the slide to the frame,ejector/ejection...)

Clean it before and after firing it.Always check to ensure that the firearms is unloaded/loaded

I am sure I have missed out on something or the other

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:32 am

No reason given as to why it blew up

[youtube][/youtube]

Most of the people posting their comments seem to feel that it was either rain water or mud.

So Rusty remember to put a condom over the muzzle of your 30-06 when taking it outdoors :lol:
Last edited by penpusher on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shahid

Post by shahid » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:11 pm

For a rifle, instead of a very fancy muzzle cover, I use a tape, ordinary electric insulation tape. No need to take it off or replace it. Just shoot through it and put another piece.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:00 pm

Ooops... this sounds scary...
shahid wrote:For a rifle, instead of a very fancy muzzle cover, I use a tape, ordinary electric insulation tape. No need to take it off or replace it. Just shoot through it and put another piece.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:17 pm

It may sound scary but is perfectly safe, just have a layer of tape going over the muzzle. The air in front of the bullet will blow it off before the bullet gets there.

Having said that, I don't usually do this, despite having dropped my gun a couple of times while hunting and getting the bore plugged with dirt. I usually just cut a small branch and use the tip to dig most of the dirt out, then wrap a piece of paper towel (always carry a paper napkin or paper towel, it can do a lot between blowing your nose to wiping blood off your hands, etc) around the stick to swab the muzzle out.

Despite the popularity on the internet of using a condom, I have never met anyone in real life nor have ever met anyone else who in real life has ever met someone idiotic enough to be running around in the woods with a condom on the end of their rifle....
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:49 pm

Mark wrote:Despite the popularity on the internet of using a condom, I have never met anyone in real life nor have ever met anyone else who in real life has ever met someone idiotic enough to be running around in the woods with a condom on the end of their rifle....
Better have a camera handy all the time.You never know when you might meet that idiot :lol:

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:43 pm

penpusher wrote:Better have a camera handy all the time.You never know when you might meet that idiot :lol:
Well, in today's day & age, having a rubber handy is par for the course (at least for the under 30 stags), am sure it won't take long before someone ends up meeting a person who has found more than one use for it.... ;)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:09 pm

mundaire wrote: Well, in today's day & age, having a rubber handy is par for the course (at least for the under 30 stags), am sure it won't take long before someone ends up meeting a person who has found more than one use for it.... ;)
Cheers!
Abhijeet
A rubber also helps, when you're out in the field/wild to save your cellphone from a torrential downpour or from a dunking while white water rafting.

cheerio
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

casual shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by casual shooter » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:46 pm

do you remember the song - i`ve got a rubber in my wallet.

rcdoma
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rcdoma » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:40 am

I use a bore snake for field cleaning.

Best,
Ram

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:34 pm

Abit OT, but a condom can also be used as an emergency water bottle, safely ;)
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:04 pm

Only the guys on this darn board would do everything but what they should do with a rubber. :roll:

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:33 pm

We are not the largest democracy without reason :wink: Members here are just pointing out uses beyond the obvious.I hope they do not get reported for prophylactic abuse :D