Maybe the IOF should try this sometime....

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Maybe the IOF should try this sometime....

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:14 pm

Since our good old IOF is just about getting the hang of break action revolvers (the .32, I mean- Forget the .22- its an expensive foot note that seems to be smoking the brains of the IOF blokes).... and its going to take a while before the brontosaurs evolve out of the rut, maybe they should try for lateral progress.

Maybe something like the IZHMASH MP-412 Click here

What do you say?- a polymer revolver, break action...not too much on the labor or brain side of affairs. Plus, the molded polymer should result in a major chunk of machining effort and costs being removed from the manufacturing process....and hopefully that should reflect on the market pricing as well. Only bit of brain exercise they will need to do is on the polymer aspect of it....

Fat chance anyway. :?
Last edited by cottage cheese on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

For Advertising mail webmaster
jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Maybe the IOF should try this sometime....

Post by jonahpach » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:37 pm

Nice selection CC,

This will give the IOFB an excuse to import some hundreds of crores of rupees worth of 'New State of the Art Equipment' Just what the Babus are interested in with some fat kick backs for the Netas! Whatd'ya know they just might take the bait! But dont bet on their final product..

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

lazybones
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by lazybones » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:30 pm

Even after all those crores we'll still get an action that's broken :) But a decent idea CC, maybe we can get the Ambani brothers interested ? They're pretty gung-ho on polymers and have the clout :)
Ashok

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:46 pm

jonahpach";p="59085 wrote:Nice selection CC,

This will give the IOFB an excuse to import some hundreds of crores of rupees worth of 'New State of the Art Equipment' Just what the Babus are interested in with some fat kick backs for the Netas! Whatd'ya know they just might take the bait! But dont bet on their final product..

Jonah
Naah!...they'll wait till Izhmach closes down and puts 2nd hand machinery for sale on the global market....give it at least quarter of a century. That is unless of course kickbacks accelerate the affair.

Polymer?...goodness... thats dark science. We'll probably use normal plastic. :)
Last edited by cottage cheese on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:51 pm

lazybones";p="59088 wrote:Even after all those crores we'll still get an action that's broken :) But a decent idea CC, maybe we can get the Ambani brothers interested ? They're pretty gung-ho on polymers and have the clout :)
Ashok
Hey Lazy...er Ashok,

You're not getting the point.... the broken actions are meant to suck in more crores for additional 'research'.
And I mean advanced research to delve into complex problems like how to make a spring, how to make a dovetail that stays....etc. Only the best deserve the most for such endeavors... :mrgreen:

Ah! the Ambanis....they can have a duel with the first two pieces that come off their production line. That should settle the accursed brotherly spat ;)

regards,
cc
Last edited by cottage cheese on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:04 am

CC: And which parts of that break-action revolver do you envision to be made out of polymer? Let me guess, an engineer you are not. Cheers.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:37 am

DO you actually think the guys at IOF have no clue to whats happening around in the world :)
... My take is that they have pretty good knowledge of the what's and teh how's but choose to stay back with the old technology, since they have no competition, since whatever they do will more or less be accepted, if not appreciated; and since they probably have the 'Why take all the head-ache' attitude :)

P.S. The same thing was with dear BSNL, until other players came in. And when I once approached BSNL representing my community, as Secretary, asking for better services, or we all withdraw our sub.scription and go for Tata connections, the BSNL head offered me a mini-exchange with underground cabling, multi-port fetch optic connections, centrex facility, etc...
They had this technology for more than 4-6 years, but preferred to let the old donkey work till it dies :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:51 am

Two Rivers,
CC: And which parts of that break-action revolver do you envision to be made out of polymer? Let me guess, an engineer you are not. Cheers.
I am not an engineer either.. not by a long shot but when someone says :
What do you say?- a polymer revolver, break action...not too much on the labor or brain side of affairs. Plus, the molded polymer should result in a major chunk of machining effort and costs being removed from the manufacturing process...
The frame/Receiver/Barrel etc. comes to mind. Mind you, when I say barrel I expect that it would have a metal insert..

Of course I could be wrong so maybe an engineer would care to enlighten me??

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

lazybones
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by lazybones » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:40 am

Given the low velocities of IOF rounds maybe the entire blunderbuss can be made of Tupperware :) Methinks the Mungheri Lal brigade will perfect this technology for us first :)

Ashok

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:45 pm

TwoRivers";p="59101 wrote: Let me guess, an engineer you are not

... :) ....nah just a local witch doctor :mrgreen:

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:58 pm

TenX";p="59118 wrote:DO you actually think the guys at IOF have no clue to whats happening around in the world :)
... My take is that they have pretty good knowledge of the what's and teh how's but choose to stay back with the old technology, since they have no competition, since whatever they do will more or less be accepted, if not appreciated; and since they probably have the 'Why take all the head-ache' attitude :)

P.S. The same thing was with dear BSNL, until other players came in. And when I once approached BSNL representing my community, as Secretary, asking for better services, or we all withdraw our sub.scription and go for Tata connections, the BSNL head offered me a mini-exchange with underground cabling, multi-port fetch optic connections, centrex facility, etc...
They had this technology for more than 4-6 years, but preferred to let the old donkey work till it dies :)
Aw come on TenX, you're giving the IOFB too much credit.... :)

Nothing will change as long as the babus run the show. All the advances in technology are within arms reach as you said (quite rightly), but its like casting pearls before a swine.

We do keep seeing tenders on national dailies for all kinds of advanced stuff like large CNC machinery... and stuff... I see no reflection of all that in any IOF end product.

The monopoly take is only a small part of the story- its bad enough they can afford to do that in the civilian market but when the 'backwardness-by-choice' attitude reflects in arms meant for national defence, the problem is bound to be in the way things are run rather than purely commercial(no competition) consideration.

Quite frankly, I have no like for the charlatans at IOFB.

BTW...your BSNL thing has given me an idea.... thanks for that one ;)

regards,
cc

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:02 pm

lazybones";p="59127 wrote:Given the low velocities of IOF rounds maybe the entire blunderbuss can be made of Tupperware :) Methinks the Mungheri Lal brigade will perfect this technology for us first :)

Ashok
Tupperware is too much for our establishment... please consider simpler plastics.

Ah! Mungher- That shouldn't take too long :)

opensight
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by opensight » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:37 pm

Tenx,

I agree with Cottage cheese. I purchased a 32 revolver nearly a year ago and wrote about my experience on the forum. My revolver barrel had no rifling at all and still bore a "QC passed" sticker.The barrel was rifled only after I complained. (The revolver is working well as of now. I use it at the KSRA range regularly)

I went on the President of India's website and complained with full details. There has been no word till now. If this is what the Ordnance Factory blokes dish out to the Indian Army also, they dont need competition. They need a firing squad.

Having said that ,I must confess I really am in love with my 22 rifle from Ishapore. It is good. Maybe QC there is better.

Lack of work ethics is probably the cause of poor quality control and lack of will to improve. When someone else's life is on the line, they will not feel the need to improve. If their jobs are on the line, they will probably improve.

Regards.
Opensight.