Firearms for forest staff

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
indiaone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Firearms for forest staff

Post by indiaone » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:51 pm

It is strange and amusing to find that Forestgun had to seek help from this forum of all places to select the proper firearm for the Forest Department.It only reflects the deterioratiaon of standard of training of the Indian Forest Service Officers. What a shame.

For Advertising mail webmaster
TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:13 am

Nothing strange and amusing I would say.
In my interactions the final take would always be a thank you note for Information provided.
Honestly.... Fact remains that officers are more tuned to the nitty-gritties of the paperwork and bureaucracy than being updated on arms or its study
Maybe the forum has more passion as a shooting fraternity....
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

maanbirsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by maanbirsingh » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:40 am

TenX wrote:Hi,
I was consulting for the forest department in Karnataka, for their Shotgun requirement. I had made a presentation for them, which I have attached.
Of course, the very valuable advise for the 7.62, 30-06 and .315 is very valid for your regions, but since I had this handy, and was already approved by a Chief Conservator, I thought it best to share.
I also emphasize on proper training including maintenance and transport/storage, which I found very much required in these parts, as most end-users, i.e. the guards on the ground, tend to overestimate the soil-licking capacities of these beauties, apart from the way they hold/move the guns.
In another 'User-Experience' session, I also observed that the guards are meant to carry a flashlight along with the gun, which makes it deliberately inconvenient to use both at the same time. I had therefore much emphasized on the need for a flashlight attachment to the guns, which seemingly turned very handy.
I as also wondering... that in one of the training sessions that I am due to take for a set of forest guards here (Karnataka), why not make a trip down south and check on how some tips I have for them can work out for you all?

Best,
TenX

REPORT ON FIREARM PROCUREMENT FOR THE FOREST DEPARTMENT.pdf
Thanks for sharing TeneX, good concise information..

Regards,
Maanbir

Added in 2 minutes 35 seconds:
Sorry, misspelt your name TenX.

Regards,
Maanbir

indiaone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by indiaone » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:23 pm

The Anand Bazar Patrika of 10th Feb has carried the following report dateline Gauhati :-
The Government of Assam has decided to provide modern firarms to the Forest Guards. At present they are armed with .303 and .315 rifles and are unable to deal with the poachers effectively. The illegal poachers are mostly armed with AK -56 and U S made M-16 rifles and so the Forest Guards are outgunned.
Quoting Shri Bikash Brahma, Chief Conservator of Forest Assam the report further stated that the Assam Government has purchased 91 Ghatak ( multi caliber rifles – developed by DRDO ) 272 INSAS, 954 SLRs , 20 pistols of 9mm and 133 , 12 bore pump action guns The consignment are being received in batches and training of the forest guards for using these weapons have already started.