Armament/ Small Arms Engineering

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
Pulkit23
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Armament/ Small Arms Engineering

Post by Pulkit23 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:55 pm

Can anyone suggest any university or any MASTER'S course related to guns or Small Arms?
I wamt to pursue my career in designing Guns/Rifles.
What should I do?

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Armament/ Small Arms Engineering

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:24 pm

Not in India. IIT Delhi and DRDO has a pact that they will offer Short term specialized training but never heard anything for civilian. Your Aim is good but no training courses so far is available and even if you trained yourself from some foreign manufacturer or Institute then also very low chance to get a Place to use your talent and Skills. May be I sound Negative but its the bitter truth. But still you can Pursue your dreams by opting Direct or Online Courses for Weapon design or gun smith. Here is some link you may find useful.

http://study.com/articles/Firearm_Desig ... hoose.html
https://moderngunrepair.com/basic/

Regrds.
Regards

Shivaji

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:48 pm

First you would have to get a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Minors in Metallurgy with some knowledge of destructive testing and CNC machining techniques would be helpful.
You should also be very familiar with CAD, 3D modelling software and Finite Element Analysis.

Most of those schools that offer gunsmithing courses (in the USA) are teaching you basic repair and some basic use of machine tools to perform repairs on firearms and not design. However that knowledge doesn't come amiss if you are designing firearms.

Most of the firearms designers that I know and know of are engineers who are very hands on. That means that they can design but they can also build it using basic or advanced machine tools.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

sathvik
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sathvik » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:12 am

Pulkit23 wrote:Can anyone suggest any university or any MASTER'S course related to guns or Small Arms?
I wamt to pursue my career in designing Guns/Rifles.
What should I do?
Better to work with a gun Smith and know how mechanism work .
As far as designing is concerned in India there is no or least scope in guns and rifle as all weapons ( np category ) works on same principle ( bolt pump box or side locks or inertia driven ) you can do custom wood furniture for gun but you have to find suitable machinery to do that . The gunsmith has all the skill to design his own sketch and to execute them without any CAD USAGE .

SATHVIK
EXPERIENCED WEAPON DESIGNER
BUDDING GUNSMITH.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk