US firearm manufacturers by the numbers

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

US firearm manufacturers by the numbers

Post by xl_target » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:31 pm

I just read an article that listed the US firearms manufacturers.
It ranked firearms manufacturers by the number of firearms produced (in 2015)
Surprisingly, some that I consider to be the big names in Firearms manufacturing were not at the top of the list.

Here is the list:
1. Ruger
2. S&W
3. Remington
4. Sig
5. Maverick (Mossberg)
6. Savage
7. Henry
8. WM Anderson (AR-15's and parts for AR-15)
9. Glock
Beretta is a distant 15th

Other interesting info
Of the 3,557,19 pistols manufactured, more than half were in 9mm Luger followed by .380 ACP
Of the 885,259 revolvers manufactured, the largest numbers were in .22LR followed by 38 Special and then .357 Mag

The 2016 and 2017 numbers should be interesting too. With SIG winning the US Army's Modular Handgun Competition, There should be a big spike in the total numbers of firearms manufactured by them.

links:
Can You guess the Biggest Gunmaker in the US?
See the 2015 AFMER data here
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: US firearm manufacturers by the numbers

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:41 am

Amazing info. I had an impression that Glock and S&W is the top ranker.
Regards

Shivaji

B25
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by B25 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Surprised to see Winchester doesn't even show up in list

Alab Arsalan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Alab Arsalan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:20 pm

the secret is Innovations.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Alab Arsalan wrote:the secret is Innovations.
I think you are quite correct, Alab.
The firms at the top of the list have the most new products and are constantly coming out with new stuff.

Notice that Colt is not even in the top 10. Since they lost their military contracts to make the M16/M4, they have been stagnating.
They have no new products and have been flirting with bankruptcy for a while. You can only sell so many 1911's, especially when your product is overpriced. They did not plan ahead. In 2015, Colt reported producing 65,417 pistols, 1,492 revolvers, 79,565 rifles, and 0 shotguns. That's only 146,204 total firearms. Compare the to Ruger's 1.7 million total.

Winchester? They sell some bolt action rifles and some shotguns and a number of Lever action rifles.
Their replica 1873 Lever action rifle is priced at $1793!!! The model 1892 lever's are over $1000.
Their bolt action rifles hover right at the $1000 mark.
What is sad is that Henry has beaten them at their own game by producing a reliable, accurate lever action rifle for a reasonable price.
I liked the Henry that I owned, very much.

Also remember that this does not include military contracts. If they did FNH-USA (Browning) would be high on the list as they sell the US Govt. its M4 rifles and various machine guns. I believe that the US Govt. has pretty much stopped buying the M16 (20" barrel) rifles in favor of the M4 carbine and its variants.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941