Indian forces facing 75% shortage in 9mm ammo

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Indian forces facing 75% shortage in 9mm ammo

Post by mundaire » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:11 pm

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... e-2890466/
75% shortage in 9 mm bullets, paramilitary forces run on empty
An alarmed ministry has now asked the forces to import bullets through a global tender for immediate needs.
Written by Deeptiman Tiwary | New Delhi | Updated: July 3, 2016 1:31 pm

The nine-lakh strong paramilitary forces guarding India’s borders, fighting Maoists in jungles, and responding to situations such as the Pathankot terror attack face a massive shortage of ammunition for their weapons.

The scarcity of 9 mm bullets — the primary ammunition used by these forces in close combat — has meant there aren’t enough available for firing practice, and rationed supplies for actual combat.

According to figures available with The Sunday Express, the shortfall of 9 mm bullets in 2016-17 is likely to be over 75% — against a demand of 9.3 crore bullets for paramilitary and state police forces, the Ordnance Factories Board (OFB) has agreed to supply only 2.3 crore.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Indian forces facing 75% shortage in 9mm ammo

Post by kshitij » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:11 pm

What do they mean by "OFB has agreed to supply 2.3cr"? They dont have any more production capacity or is that their lethargy speaking?
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:17 pm

After 70 years of independence we still relay on some pre-historic era weapon technology arms and ammunition research and development.

Till date Indian didnt develop a decent small arms in all these years and it is a shame. Countries like Singapore, Malaysia, UAE and third world countries have developed much better compared to our defense industry.

Places like Darra where small and big arms manufacturing (hand made)flourish in Pakistan make much better then our Indian ordinance.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:20 am

It will be blessing in disguise. Armed forces will get imported ammo !!
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:06 am

I had first heard this about a year ago for NSG related procurement. This should be a wake up call for the "Make in India" campaign- the OFB production levels YOY are actually falling!@%&*.

The ordnance ammo was quite good quality- far superior to most other things I've seen them produce.

Off topic- I now know how my 50 ammo quota got decided. The state police constable gets 70 a year, I Shouldn't need more than s/he does!

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:17 pm

The police constable doesn't even want to shoot the yearly allocated amount, as it takes him away from his "daily duties"... The knowledge of firearms of an average policeman in India, is less than zero, with absolutely no desire (on their part) to even learn more.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:01 pm

:deadhorse: When the demand is 9.3 crore and the Ordnance factory can only supply 2.3 isn't it time to wake up and smell the coffee?? Or what are the military forces and/or state police to do in combat when they run out- throw stones :roll: :roll:

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:57 pm

Code: Select all

The police constable doesn't even want to shoot the yearly allocated amount, as it takes him away from his "daily duties"... The knowledge of firearms of an average policeman in India, is less than zero, with absolutely no desire (on their part) to even learn more.
True. But with my discussion with Railway Police (armed guards in trains) get a annual quota, its 50 rounds.

State police, especially the Law & Order department of police is no good than traffic or transport. They hardly handle arms, I guess that is for display. My first and last visit to XXX District Armoury to deposit my gun shocked me, the incharge there mentions more than 70% of their arms are not usable due to no maintenance .. and remaining no one can guarantee....
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”