Indian writing on muzzleloader

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
drcollector
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Indian writing on muzzleloader

Post by drcollector » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:40 am

I need some translation help. I saw an R. B. Rodda rifle that had some kind of Indian writing on the top of the barrel. I am going to try to down load a picture of the writing and i hope that someone on this site could translate it for me. How do I download a picture on this sight? I have not have much luck posting photos on this site.[img]Rodda1[/img]

Thanks,
Larry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Indian writing on muzzleloader

Post by xl_target » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:44 am

Hi Larry,
Here's how you post pictures.
https://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5211
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:15 pm

Hi Larry,

Saw the photo that you posted on the IFG facebook page and have taken the liberty of attaching it here. The thumbnail looks fuzzy, but clicking on the thumbnail would display the full res photo.

Have asked a colleague at work to decipher it, he said he would be able to transliterate it but if it is in Persian/ Arabic he would not be able to provide a translation. For that you can try google translate by copy pasting the transliterated phrase. If, on the other hand, it is in Urdu, I'm sure it should not be difficult for members here to offer a translation.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

Added in 35 minutes 5 seconds:
Message from my colleague
I was able to partly read the image which roughly means... "Under the rule of Nawab Mohsin Ad Dawla" and then the calligraphy is a bit confusing
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

abhi11
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by abhi11 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:01 pm

This is what i could decrypt:

Baba Hasin Nawab Mohsin Ad Dawla Mumtazimimulk Hasan ***** Bahadur **** **** ****

The **** represent the parts I was not able to read from this pic. Maybe a closer look can get the things.

This is pure Arabic
Regards
Abhi

" All In All We Are Just Another Brick In The Wall"

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:48 pm

Transliteration :
bamaojib-e-hukum Nawab Mohsin ad-Dawlah Muntazim al-malik Malikhan Bahadur Ghazanfar Hakeem London tab'a rashad
Translation :
In accordance with the order of Nawab Mohsin ad-Dawlah, the admininstrator of the king, Malikhan Bahadur Ghazanfar Hakeem London has printed
Added in 2 minutes 39 seconds:
It doesn't say printed what, so assuming that there would be more writing somewhere else on the barrel?
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

drcollector
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by drcollector » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:35 pm

Thanks for all of the help that you gave me. I have been trying to determine what region of India ( such as Hyderabad) that this rifle
was used in. Also, I cannot yet determine who the rifle was built for either. If anyone has any information about those things please
post it on this thread. Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,

Larry Davidson

Ahmaq
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Ahmaq » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:44 pm

The text reads
Ba Maujib Hukm Nawab Mohsin ud Daula, Muntazim ul Mulk, Mohsin Ali, Khan Bahadur, Ghazanfar Jang, dar London imar shud
And a loose translation
By order of Nawab Mohsin ud Daula, Muntazim ul Mulk, Mohsin Ali, Khan Bahadur, Ghazanfar Jang, in London, was constructed
Basically, that this gun was built to his specification / order.

Apparently, Nawab Mohsin ud Daula was a noble in the court of Oudh, a princely state in Northern India, now subsumed by Uttar Pradesh, specifically the areas of Lucknow and its boroughs. Some sources state that he was an officer in Murshidabad, in Bengal.

In any case, he was a man of means.