MOST EXPENSIVE GUN IN INDIA

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: MOST EXPENSIVE GUN IN INDIA

Post by mundaire » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:28 pm

Multiple barrels of different calibers are quite legal and use up only one slot, hence the "charm" I guess. Either way it's asking price is 70-80 times the retail price overseas! No other imported product in India commands such margins!!!

Cheers!
Abhijeet

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:24 pm

I think a big bore (NE) double rifle of a good manufacturer say like Purdey, Westley Richards, Rigby etc.. would definitely go north of 50L and before independence there have been a lot which were custom made for royalties by the esteemed gunsmith of England which might be stowed away in and might not have seen the light of the day in few decades.
1 shot 1 kill!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:41 pm

This is just an academic question as I often dream of guns that I could have owned, if I was in the USA. Now that I am too old to relocate to the USA, I wish to be practical and dream about it in India
It is never too late, Atul.
So which handgun would you like to own if it were available to you?
IMHO the best way to lay your hands on a good imported gun is to become a Neta, do some bureaucratic drama, 'surrender' your useless .22 & get a spanking new Desert Eagle from army's stocks... Remember one famous gangster turned neta getting one that way...
I'm not picking on you Main, just stating my opinion as there seems to be a lot of wishful thinking about the DE. While a Desert Eagle looks cool in the movies when a great big guy like Arnold is holding it, it really is a huge, heavy, unwieldy weapon. Stick it in a belt holster and it will pull your pants down. Stick it in a shoulder holster and you'll have back problems by the end of the day as well as having to walk like you have boils in your armpits. I just don't see the attraction or practicality. Don't get me wrong, it makes a fun range gun but if I could only own one handgun, ... no thanks. On the other hand, it would make a hell of a club when you run out of ammo. :)
If you want your sole handgun to be in .357 Mag or .44 Mag, there are so many more elegant and practical solutions out there.

Once again, this is only my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. :lol:
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

main13
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by main13 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:08 am

xl_target wrote: I'm not picking on you Main, just stating my opinion as there seems to be a lot of wishful thinking about the DE. While a Desert Eagle looks cool in the movies when a great big guy like Arnold is holding it, it really is a huge, heavy, unwieldy weapon. Stick it in a belt holster and it will pull your pants down. Stick it in a shoulder holster and you'll have back problems by the end of the day as well as having to walk like you have boils in your armpits. I just don't see the attraction or practicality. Don't get me wrong, it makes a fun range gun but if I could only own one handgun, ... no thanks. On the other hand, it would make a hell of a club when you run out of ammo. :)
If you want your sole handgun to be in .357 Mag or .44 Mag, there are so many more elegant and practical solutions out there.
I agree about the weight part - the .50AE model weighs almost 2 kilos when modern assault rifles weigh in at 3kgs! The advantage comes in the form of its pinpoint accuracy, sheer destructive power & 200m range for the larger round. If stuck in a firefight, its rounds can shoot through thin walls & wooden doors & still carry enough energy to drop the guy on the other side.. I wonder if there is any other pistol that shoots .50... No wonder they call it the hand cannon!

In India, guns, girls & gears are perceived at their snob value.. & this one is about as snobbish as it gets! :)
To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his Gods.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon May 02, 2016 10:02 pm

main13 wrote: I agree about the weight part - the .50AE model weighs almost 2 kilos when modern assault rifles weigh in at 3kgs! The advantage comes in the form of its pinpoint accuracy, sheer destructive power & 200m range for the larger round. If stuck in a firefight, its rounds can shoot through thin walls & wooden doors & still carry enough energy to drop the guy on the other side.. I wonder if there is any other pistol that shoots .50... No wonder they call it the hand cannon!

In India, guns, girls & gears are perceived at their snob value.. & this one is about as snobbish as it gets! :)
Ok lets address the first part; pinpoint accuracy. Unless you are resting a handgun, a neophyte is going to have an issue getting "pinpoint accuracy" with any caliber over distance. In a self defense situation, if you've got the time to rest your handgun to take a shot, you'd be better off with a rifle. OK, I've seen the videos of Jerry Miculek and Bob Munden shooting snubbies at 200 yard targets. This isn't going to happen to you or me. Unlike in the movies, shooting and hitting with a handgun at any meaningful distance is not easy. What do I mean by meaningful distances? Under stress, a user unfamiliar with handguns will have an issue hitting a 10" steel plate at a mere 10 yards. Accurately shooting a behemoth like the DE in .50AE is going to take practice and you are NOT going to do it with 50 cartridges a year. I guarantee that if I put a DE in .50 AE in someone's hands for the first time, they're going to have a hard time hitting a 8.5" X 11" sheet of copy paper at 7 yards, especially after the first shot, as they are going to be flinching from its significant recoil.

Shooting through barriers; Penetration of thin walls and wooden doors. So can .22 LR, 9mm , .40 S&W, etc, etc.
A rifle caliber round will do it much better.

Sheer destructive power:
It is still a handgun, with all the limitations inherent in the platform. It will never come close to the power of a rifle.
So lets look at the energy generated by the 50 AE round;
Muzzle - 1449 ft-lb
50 yds - 1046 ft-lb
100 yds - 799 ft-lb (after that the energy decay is rapid)
(one shouldn't be shooting a handgun at those distances anyway. Unless you've had a lot of practice, you'll just be throwing away your shots)

Now lets look at the common or garden .30-06
muzzle - 2872 ft-lb
50 yds - 2664 ft-lb
100 yds - 2471 ft-lb

750 yds - 820 ft-lb

As you can see, any handgun doesn't hold a candle to a rifle at distance and especially through barriers.
So why carry a handgun? Well, they are smaller and lighter in weight than a rifle and can be concealed.
As I read somewhere, a statement that makes a lot of sense; "a handgun is just a means to fight your way to your rifle".
However, unless you are as big as Arnold Schwarzenegger, a DE is not a practical handgun.

Guns and Gear=Snob Value.
I absolutely agree with you here. In India, this is what the DE is all about.
The Snob value and one-upmanship is second to none, especially since so few will have shot it. For that matter, a lot of people in India think James Bond's little PPK is an awesome self defense weapon. :lol:

I enjoyed shooting the 50 AE but I really have no desire to own one.
It is a fun gun at the range but it is basically a crew served weapon compared to most other handguns.
As a practical handgun for everyday carry, it leaves a lot to be desired.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941