Edgehill shooting grounds

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Edgehill shooting grounds

Post by Vikram » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:49 pm

yesterday I went for a clay shoot at a place called Edgehill. I have a Scottish friend,Tom, who works as an Engineer here.He took me there. very pleasant man.Edgehill is an absolutely stunning place situated in a valley far away from the buzz of the city about 20 miles from the town of Warwick.One has to drive down the hill to access the shooting grounds.Barely twenty people shooting and I was told that it's the busiest it would ever be.There was a Labrador dog and she was absolutely unaffected by all the shooting going around her and kept on sleeping in the light sun with her four legs up in the air.There were these two pups in the club house bouncing around as pups are wont to .I saw kids as young as seven learning to shoot Skeet.What touched me the most was a kid afflicted with Downs Syndrome, wearing a shooting jacket,watching the proceedings with great delight and sitting there lost in his idyllic world. I do not think he shoots.

They have skeet,trap,double trap,automatic bolt trap,english sporting etc etc and what not.

Tom has a Baikal SXS with 28" barrels,choked half & three quarters.The stock 14".Pretty small for me but was great fun shooting and there was hardly any felt recoil.We used Eley 24 grams cartridges.The Baikal is simplicity it self but robustly built.The wood extremely plain and not walnut. But, it in deed handled like a wand.We shot the gun without pre-mounting it unlike what we did at Barby shooting gounds.Probably that explains the disaster that ensued.

The sporting clays layout is really rugged with the birds coming at impossible angles.Some of the traps are mounted on trucks at various places on the hill.The tower for rocketing pheasant is just that.Way over the hill top.Many traps were well hidden behind bushes and you would see them coming at you or going away like real birds in real hurry.Did I tell you that I am a natural at clays? Forget it.It was a most humbling experience.The birds coming at great speed and very tricky angles ensured that the misses were far greater than the odd hit.The fun,however,far outweighed the performance.

The horse was not 20 yards away from us and promptly galloped up the hill once we started shooting.Knows well how to save its hide.LOL.

There were these five gents shooting ABT.All of them well over fifty and two possibly in early sixties.The way they were hammering the clays plumb in centre tells us that age is not really a hindrance to excel in this sport.They were hardly athletic.But,they were super in their shooting.

Anand,Dev and Grumps.A great reason for you to come visit me. And any of our members foe that matter. I know it's easy to offer this from a great distance.But,should any of you come here,it shall be a real pleasure to take you for a shoot.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:05 pm

Thanks Vikram but for the love of God please resize those pics - spoils all the fun.

Mack The Knife

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Edgehill shooting grounds

Post by Pran » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:11 pm

Nice write up, Vikram.

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:52 pm

Rusty, the pics are in deed properly sized.The old problem with your 'puter?Any one else facing the same problem?

Best-
Vikram

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:19 am

Like always nice write up and pictures
Best

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:29 am

Don't know, Vikram. It's mostly your pics that require scrolling. What size are these?

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:01 pm

The pix are 1024x768, therefore at any resolution less than 1152x864 you'll have too much of horizontal scroll to be able to view them... actually even at 1152x864 there is a scroll, however it's tolerable... but at higher resolutions than that it should display fine...

The ideal picture size should be no larger than 700x400 or at max 800x600 - this allows for a greater number of people to view the pictures without any problems...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Edgehill shooting grounds

Post by hamiclar01 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:36 pm

looks fun vikram, let's do it , and do it soon!
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:50 pm

im up for it.
i missed out. i was happy shooting in enfield bu now i realise i missed the oppertunity to shoot azt edgehill.

can you list the stands you shot?
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

shahid

Post by shahid » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:51 pm

What about the cost ? Do they hire out shotguns ? How does one reach here from London ?

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:26 am

Shahid,

One has to drive.It's off the beaten track.Cost is about 6-7 GBP per 25 clays+cartridges.There is a club gun for hire.5GBP is the charge.Very nice place.

Best-
Vikram