Big Boys Toys.. LOL

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Big Boys Toys.. LOL

Post by xl_target » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:35 am

FN USA is going to be offering a semi-auto SAW on the civilian market.

FN M249S™
The FN M249S, a semi-automatic version of the M249 SAW light machinegun, was originally developed by FN Herstal as the FN MINIMI® and adopted by the U.S. Military in 1988. The rifle features the signature 20.5-inch FN cold hammer-forged, chrome-lined barrel and operates from a closed bolt position. Chambered in 5.56x45mm NATO, the rifle will accept both magazine and linked ammunition belt and offers a 4.5-6.5 pound trigger pull out-of-the-box.
http://www.fnhusa.com/l/about/press-releases/pr-150411/
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Big Boys Toys.. LOL

Post by timmy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:06 am

XL, this looks interesting, if a bit ugly. I wish they would give more information, but at least they tell us that it dies from closed bolt.

You know that I like planar mechanisms, which would mean tipping bolt and roller locking actions, rather than rotating bolt designs. I guess not very many people are interested in these design points.

I hope this comes out and then we can see the price and details.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:04 am

In its ugliness lies its beauty. They are reliable and proven from the jungles of Panama to the deserts of the middle East and the mountains of Afghanistan.
In its role as SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon)/LMG it has been quite successful. It is the light machine gun that is used by a number of NATO countries.
The M249 is a very successful design and has many incarnations. you can't look at photos of any post Panama conflict and not see the M249 in there somewhere.
It is the US modification of the Belgian Minimi. Introduced in 1984 it is now the default light machine gun of the US Armed Forces. The full-auto version fires from an open bolt.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Language warning.

I know someone is going to say; "Why"?
All I can say is "Why not"?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:47 pm

To fire semi-auto from a closed bolt (which confers better accuracy) and to fire fully automatic from an open bolt (which cools the barrel better and prevents "cook off" -- the spontaneous ignition of a cartridge in the chamber from the heat retained by the barrel). So I see that this semi-auto version is converted to fire from a closed bolt.

This picture would indicate that it is a rotary bolt, somewhat along the lines of an AK47.

When I say "ugly," I'm thinking of me owning a semi-auto version myself. Beauty of function is certainly there -- it's similar to admiring a moose: their adaptation for the task is quite beautiful, but the moose itself is no Venus de Milo.

On the backpack 800 round belt -- how cool! This is one thing that the opponents of 5.56x45 can't get around: being able to pack this much firepower can only be done with a small round, and regardless of the stopping power of one individual round, getting "swiss-cheesed" by the spray of this thing has got to be effective, I would think.

Being able to switch from the belt to the clips carried by M4 users is also quite an advantage.

So the Marines are switching from the M249 to the M27? I wonder how the foregoing of the belt fed feature is accounted for in their field doctrine?
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman