China's last armed village

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
pran80
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

China's last armed village

Post by pran80 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:53 pm

Dear IFGians,

Came across this blog on Reuters.com, thought it will be interesting to the members here.

http://blogs.reuters.com/photographers- ... d-village/

Regards,

Pranjal

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: China's last armed village

Post by brihacharan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:09 pm

Very interesting :D
Only hope that this 'freedom to bear arms' is not withdrawn as a result of some bureaucratic statutes :twisted:
Briha

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:27 pm

Wow!! indeed very interesting. Next generation going to be very lucky if the govt. will allow this tradition.

Baljit

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:13 am

Don't we have something similar in Coorg (south India), where you do not need a License to own fire arms?

Regards

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:48 am

Although it sounds very cute and quaint, in my humble opinion, it is very unfair to the rest of the country to let people from one region / village carry guns for some historical reason or the other, while the rest of the country is deprived!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:24 am

aadhaulya wrote: Don't we have something similar in Coorg (south India), where you do not need a License to own fire arms?
Regards
You are right.... :D
I have friends in Coorg who possess weapons (Firearms)
All they need is to inform the police providing the details of make & caliber :D
Briha

skeetshot
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by skeetshot » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:34 pm

Great post, thanks for sharing.

Imagine then, what would have happened to Mao Tse Tung's "Great Revolution" had the entire nation been armed.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:55 pm

brihacharan wrote: You are right.... :D
I have friends in Coorg who possess weapons (Firearms)
All they need is to inform the police providing the details of make & caliber :D
Briha
Dear Birhaji,

I believe that there is no restriction on ammo for these people. Do you have any idea if they have some sort of limit on the number of Firearms they can own. May be I need to take up a job there for a few years. :D :D :D

Regards

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:28 am

Nope, Aadhaulya. Even if you settle down there, you won't get that freedom, as long as your origins (family) are not from there. This is as per a Coorgi friend of mine who owns a coffee estate or two, apart from 4-5 firearms. I had the same idea sometime back, and I had asked this guy to sell me a part of his coffee plantation so I can claim to be a Coorgi farmer!!

Which is why I mentioned "unfair" in my last comment. Don't want to rake up political issues, but this is about as unfair as apartheid.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:52 pm

Very sad.

:deadhorse:

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:58 am

Sorry, Aadhulya, a mistake in my earlier post. You need to have something called "domicile". I tried to do a google search on domicile, but the confusion was worse than the Arms Act! Maybe some of our legal eagles can help? As far as I could make out, you need to be born somewhere, or stay for a certain number of years (depends on which state / locality), or posted as a govt. employee, etc. etc. I remember taking out a domicile certificate long long back for entrance into engineering. It required my birth certificate, class 10th certificate, and my dad's proof of residence. But that was easy as we hadn't moved house since before I was born.
Cheers!

EssDee