.22 L.R. Beretta

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

.22 L.R. Beretta

Post by marksman » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:53 pm

Merry Xmas guys..........need a little help. Is anyone here in the know of .22 lr bolt rifle made by Beretta. It's been around for a few decades but is pretty descent mechanically except the bluing which is almost gone. Seems it's been inherited by some one who didn't care much about aesthetics.
Cheers!!!
Marksman

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: .22 L.R. Beretta

Post by xl_target » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:47 pm

Does it look something like this

“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:32 pm

marksman wrote: Merry Xmas guys..........need a little help. Is anyone here in the know of .22 lr bolt rifle made by Beretta. It's been around for a few decades but is pretty descent mechanically except the bluing which is almost gone. Seems it's been inherited by some one who didn't care much about aesthetics.
Cheers!!!
Marksman
1. Is the weapon being offered to you for purchase?
2. If its in working condition excepting for the loss of bluing...its worth acquiring...
3. If its similar to what xl_target has posted (bolt action with 10shot magazine).....and the price right, you could be lucky!
4. Bluing can be done with Ballistol Gun Blue as a DIY :D
Briha

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:03 pm

XL, the butter knife bolt handle of the rifle you have posted told me that its the semi-auto/ repeater model made in the 60s. Cant remember the model number right now (probably Model 31 but not sure).

This is a very interesting rifle and surprisingly many of these were imported by Indians both in sporter version as well as the much rarer bull-barrel match grade. What makes this rifle somewhat legal in India is that if you push the bolt handle down by 45 degrees after chambering a round the rifle will operate as a manual repeater.
However, it you keep the bolt at 90 degrees to the ground after chambering a round it turns semi-auto.
Needless to say the bolt is spring loaded and does't stay open when fully retracted. It is driven forth by the recoil spring.

About 10/12 years ago I found this rifle with a dealer in Kolkata while looking for a good .22. What he asked for was almost a year's salary :lol:
I week later I bought a Winchester bolt action at 10th of that amount ROTFL

:cheers:

TC

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:45 pm

TC wrote: About 10/12 years ago I found this rifle with a dealer in Kolkata while looking for a good .22. What he asked for was almost a year's salary :lol:
I week later I bought a Winchester bolt action at 10th of that amount
ROTFL
TC
> Moral of the story:
"Luck favors the one who is persistent & has an eye keen enough to spot where it's available" :D
> TC - fortunately you are blessed with both!!!
Briha

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:42 pm

Thanks Brihaji,
You are always very kind :D

On a serious note, quite a few of this model of the Beretta is there with gun owners and dealers in India, probably more than any other Beretta rimfire rifles made in the 60s. And, this model today cost a fortune for the reason I explained above. Its a semi yet not a semi :D

If this is the one Marsksman has found then I must say he is lucky. But our friend Marksman seems to have disappeared in this festive season.

TC

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:43 pm

TC wrote: This is a very interesting rifle and surprisingly many of these were imported by Indians both in sporter version as well as the much rarer bull-barrel match grade. What makes this rifle somewhat legal in India is that if you push the bolt handle down by 45 degrees after chambering a round the rifle will operate as a manual repeater.
However, it you keep the bolt at 90 degrees to the ground after chambering a round it turns semi-auto.
Needless to say the bolt is spring loaded and does't stay open when fully retracted. It is driven forth by the recoil spring.TC
Came across one a few months back, it was a Beretta Olympia in .22LR, these are tough as tank .22lr rifles. The seller sold it for 4.10 L !! Well having said this, I am talking about the crazy price in Punjab.

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:59 pm

Olympia !!

There you are. I just couldn't remember the name. Thanks Rp.
Well, I would say 4 lakh sounds cheap. A few months ago I heard someone quoting 7 :lol: Good heavens.
The US auction site from where XL picked the picture says it sold for 327 USD.

Cheers
TC

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:26 pm

The dual action .22lr rifle was first introduced by walther , will post the original pictures of Rifle when I get time. Regards James..

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:53 am

TC wrote: Olympia !! There you are. I just couldn't remember the name. Thanks Rp.
Well, I would say 4 lakh sounds cheap. A few months ago I heard someone quoting 7 :lol: Good heavens.
The US auction site from where XL picked the picture says it sold for 327 USD.
Cheers
TC
> US$327 = Rs.19,500/- approx.
> While the quoted price here is between Rs.4lacs & 7Lacs :oops: ....This is beyond my comprehension....unfortunately the scenario is "Take it or Leave it"....There are others willing to shell out :evil:
> Guys like us are unfortunately in the wrong place & at the wrong time....
Briha

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:31 pm

james wrote:The dual action .22lr rifle was first introduced by walther , will post the original pictures of Rifle when I get time. Regards James..
That's right James.
The Walther Model 1 and Model 2. They were fine handy rifles and a dream to shoot. I was fortunate enough to handle one on the field years ago :D

Here's a video that shows the Model 1 in action. Enjoy

[youtube][/youtube]

TC

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:44 pm

> Guys like us are unfortunately in the wrong place & at the wrong time....
Briha
:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

tc

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:35 pm

What is wrong with a semi-auto .22? Are you not allowed to have them?

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:58 am

Very much xl_target. The stock and the raised cheek piece and the contours do match. How ever, the two picture sent are both of the left side of this rifle hence could not determine if it has a butter knife bolt. The back sight seems to be closer towards the receiver then usually is,which I surely noticed. I have seen and shot Walther model that Tc mentions, so am pretty aware of this mechanism. I remember that rifle being quite finicky as a repeater but then one did not have easy access to foreign ammo in those days and then again wasting them on target was a strict no no. The price offered is well below what our learned members have hinted though. Will ask for action/ receiver pictures and find out more I guess.
Marksman

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:04 am

If that is the rifle in question and it is good shape, that is a nice find.
Check the bore and check the crown for nicks.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941